Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Holy **** – 39 Bodies found in Lorry
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

🙁

Awful

Sui
    Free Member

Shit that is aweful. It probably happened travelling through central Europe with the heat they have at the moment, poor, poor people.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Puts **** into perspective.

RIP

scuttler

Vast majority of arrivals at Holyhead come from Dublin so who knows where these poor people had been / come from. Truly grim.

v8ninety

Refrigerator trailer. Even if not running, those things are pretty well sealed up. Awful.

5lab

is the murder charge a little odd? For sure the driver is responsible and should be charged, but proving he intended to kill the folks seems like it’d be tough – manslaughter seems (from what we know at the moment) like a more fitting charge – is it just that they would always charge as hard as they can and drop it later?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Terrible thing.

There was an episode of Criminal on Netflix based on a similar premise – horrible that it’s worse in real life than fiction

mashr

5lab

is the murder charge a little odd? For sure the driver is responsible and should be charged, but proving he intended to kill the folks seems like it’d be tough – manslaughter seems (from what we know at the moment) like a more fitting charge – is it just that they would always charge as hard as they can and drop it later?

IIRC murder is the default in these cases and, as you say, they can re-assess as things come to light

Its not the first time its happened.

There were the 58 who were found at Dover in 2000 during a routine search – That must have been a terrible thing to find when opening up a lorry.

I believe the driver in that case was convicted of manslaughter.

globalti
    Free Member

Terrible thing to happen. Makes you wonder how many illegal immigrants do make it by truck and how many of those arrive dead or sick and end up disappearing.

matt_outandabout

Awful. So sad.

siwhite
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/28/more-than-70-dead-austria-migrant-truck-tragedy

Not the worst tally, but horrific nonetheless. Tragic for victims and their families, but please spare a thought for the emergency responders who are having to deal with the job…

thegreatape
    Free Member

is the arrest on suspicion of murder charge a little odd?

Arrest on suspicion of murder covers things from a legal perspective in the (unlikely in this scenario) event there is evidence he meant them to die or come to significant harm. He doesn’t have to be charged with the same offence he was arrested for.

mashr

Just noticed that a new headline popped up for this as all the bodies have now been identified. One thing I haven’t ever seen reported though is how were they discovered? The truck just seemed to be parked on an exciting bit of road in the industrial estate. Did the police pull him over for some reason (would expect that to be reported)? Or was it something else?

dissonance

Or was it something else?

It was reported he claimed he pulled over there to get some paperwork out of the back.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Someone (the driver?) phoned the emergency services after leaving Purfleet – presumably once he’d stopped at the industrial estate to let people out.

frankconway

Nothing like as serious but – lorry stopped in Wiltshire earlier this week with 15 illegal immigrants stowed in trailer; 1 hospitalised.
    Wonder what ‘best educated guess’ is for number who get into the UK each week?
    Of that number, how many disappear into the black economy – or, more accurately, the dodgy end of legit market sectors such as nail bars and car washes?

mashr

It was reported he claimed he pulled over there to get some paperwork out of the back.

and then phoned it in himself? as per:

Someone (the driver?) phoned the emergency services after leaving Purfleet – presumably once he’d stopped at the industrial estate to let people out.

Which would be interesting as he would’ve known he’d be on the hook.

v8ninety

Lorry driver ‘has ounce of conscience’ shocker

mashr

People smuggler ‘has ounce of conscience’ shocker

FTFY

dissonance

and then phoned it in himself?

Yup

I guess the question is what do you do? Dump the bodies somewhere or try and claim innocence?

danposs86

Looks like he was involved in the trafficking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50545658

benv
    Free Member

i read in another report that the ‘tickets’ cost up to £40K a person but it wasn’t clear if that was money paid up front or if it was a ‘loan’ which then had to be paid off through slavery. In either case a hell of a lot more needs to be done to put a stop to it.

timbog160

Bizarrely I’m sure I read somewhere that some of the families had their money refunded…

footflaps

Bizarrely I’m sure I read somewhere that some of the families had their money refunded…

Yep, was in the papers.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.