Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Holme Valley MTB Challenge – 11th September 2022
  • TheSanityAssassin

Was talking to the long-time organiser of this well-established event this morning and he was telling me of the low entry numbers so far. This event is/was the original of its type in the West Yorkshire area and has been incredibly popular over the last 30 years, so it saddened me to hear of their struggles this year.
    So, if you’re within a reasonable drive of Holmfirth (on a quiet Sunday morning), fancy riding some great way-marked trails in an unfamiliar area and enjoy the challenge of an XC event like this then please sign up and give them your support. It’s only £15 (with an optional t-shirt for an extra £6), so it’s not a bank-breaker either and there’s a choice of 3 routes too – 30miles, 20miles & 15miles.
    To book online goto: http://www.bikechallenge.co.uk
    Thanks.

seriousrikk

Ooooh.
    Didn’t know about this, found myself unable to do the red rat rampage on account of covid kicking me in the dick, so this could be just the ticket to get me out.

silentgrunt

I’ve just entered this thanks for the heads up. Here’s hoping the numbers are sufficient would hate to see it cancelled

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I too have just entered thanks to this thread

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve entered, first year doing it for me. Will be doing the 30miler quite slowly!

TheSanityAssassin

*Bump*
    Next Sunday morning.

spawnofyorkshire

Are the entry numbers looking any better? My sister was saying this clashes with the first cross race of the season and quite a few (including my nephew) will be doing that instead of the bike challenge

TheSanityAssassin

As of right now, they have just 61 confirmed entries. Many thanks to those that have signed up (above), but this event used to regularly attract 400+ riders. If anyone else out there is in two minds, please sign up and give them your support.

Ben_mw

Just signed up for myself and my daughter, we’ve got registration numbers in the 110’s, so that suggests that there’s a few more entered. As a local, it has struck me that there doesn’t appear to be any advertising around like there used to be and as the father of a cub who will benefit from the funds raised (and who will help out marshalling) I’m also rather surprised how little we seem to have heard about it through those channels. (Though maybe I’ve just not noticed it). Anyway, hopefully a few more will sign up before Sunday!

scuttler

There was an advert on the notice board in the doctors. I assume they are elsewhere. Will check local Facearse groups.

scuttler

It’s on Ride Kirklees and Holmfirth Events

heebyjeeby

I have signed up on the back of this….what can we expect conditions wise given its getting wetter again?
    Firm going or boggy?
    Either way i am looking forward to it

spawnofyorkshire

Knowing most of the route it shouldn’t be boggy. It’s mostly on pretty decent and well used bridleways.
    There will be a few sections that could be muddy/slippy so don’t go for superfast slick xc tyres unless you’re happy with them.

TheSanityAssassin

Pre-entry closes tomorrow dinner time, although they’re also offering entry on the day for a bit more dough. Help them out, and save a few Bob too, by getting your entry in sharpish. Cheers.

alanf
    Free Member

I’m in. Never done this event before despite it being relatively close. I have ridden some of the trails before though

heebyjeeby

Nice one thanks spawnofyorkshire
    Wonder if it will still be on in view of recent events….

TheSanityAssassin

Hi All. I’ve just messaged the organiser for some clarification on whether the event will be going ahead or not this weekend. I’ll post up here and on my CVMBC FaceFaff page as soon as I get the definitive answer.

heebyjeeby
    TheSanityAssassin

The event is DEFINITELY ON this weekend. Entry numbers currently stand at only 90, so please support them where you possibly can. Thanks.

heebyjeeby

Ah good thanks again….looking forward to it (even if numbers low…)

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m no longer local so won’t be there, but this is a great, very well run, event. I was in the Scout troop that runs it and it made a massive difference to what we could do for the following year.

It’s tough on the legs, mind!

heebyjeeby

From a munrobiker I take those words very seriously!!

TheSanityAssassin

Online entry is now closed – but pay on the day is available. Just rock up in good time and they’ll let you ride.
    Good luck everyone.

mwab65

@TheSanityAssassin – Thanks for highlighting this event, not done it before and really enjoyed it. Couldn’t have asked for better weather ☀️☀️☀️.

spawnofyorkshire

Well that didn’t go as planned!!!
    Got just over a third of the way in and my lower back slipped disc decided it was going to be a bastard today.
    I still stubbornly finished the 30miler but was in agony at the end. I’m not ashamed to say I walked alot of the hills towards the end, it wasn’t my legs letting me down, I just needed to keep my back straight. A bit gutted.
    On the whole though the course was a good, and the marshalls and organisers were brilliant and friendly.
    If I can sort the glass back out I’d happily do that again

TheSanityAssassin

Just had a text message from the organiser to say that they ended up with 145 entries, which they were delighted with considering the situation a fortnight ago. They’d like to thank everyone for their support, particularly those that signed up due to this thread appearing. Well done everyone.

Garry_Lager

I rode it with the family – ty TheSanityAssassin for posting about it or I wouldn’t have been aware. I had done it before once (think we went the opposite way around) but did the short route with my daughter this time. Lovely day but it was pretty hard climbing for her, some difficult moments but we got round. Event organisation was great – thanks to all the volunteers for making it happen.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.