Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hollowtech BB Options
  • higgo
    Free Member

It’s ages since I’ve had to change a Hollowtech bottom bracket – this one is five years old on a bike that I don’t ride very often but it failed on Sunday.

I’m not interested in swapping the bearings out so will replace the whole thing.

What are the options these days? Any reason why I shouldn’t just buy another Shimano one?
    I know there are expensive ceramic options but, given the bike and how often I ride it, they’re more than I want to spend.

I guess I’m asking if there’s anything significantly better than a straight Shimano replacement for not much more money?

weeksy

The Shimano ones work perfectly well, sometimes 12 months sometimes more…

I recently bought a shop soiled HOPE, but it does the same job…

kerley
    Free Member

I just buy Shimano. Can pick up Ultegra/XT level pretty cheap so not really worth bothering with any others.

jameso

New M8000 XT. Outlasts older style Shimanos a few times over ime, a big improvement.

whitestone
    Free Member

Given you say you ride the bike intermittently I’d just get a Shimano Deore BB – £13 from CRC.

If you were using the bike regularly then I’d say Hope stainless (ceramic only worth it for road) – the one on my HT has done over 14,000km without a hiccup.

Edit: note that the newer XT BBs need a different tool.

scotroutes

Shimano XT m800 are currently £14.45 at CRC/Wiggle. At that price they’re a steal. Buy two 😉

There should be a tool adapter in the box.

kilo

Been using a gusset one for a while now lasted quite well.

jeffl

Got a new XT M800 BB on my bike. As people say it does require a new tool, as the indented outer edge is a smaller diameter than the older ones. No idea why Shimano changed it. I bough mine from CRC and it came with a plastic adaptor so I could use my old BB tool to tighten it up.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think the older, bigger Shimanos work longer than the newer, smaller ones, but there you go. Cheap enough not to be a big deal though.

thepurist

Gusset’s been fine for me for a while – replaced the bearings in one last autumn too (after a couple of years) and that was an easy job.

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks all for the quick replies.

I’ve done exactly this…

Shimano XT m800 are currently £14.45 at CRC/Wiggle. At that price they’re a steal. Buy two 😉

ajantom

I think the older, bigger Shimanos work longer than the newer, smaller ones

You’d think so given the old ones had bigger bearings.
    But my experience (so far) is that the new XT ones are lasting far better.
    Two wet & grindy winters on a couple of them.
    Maybe they used better seals and better quality bearings?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

5 years for mountain bike BB: fantastic!

I use Shimano SAINT BBs where possible. Bit heavier than XT or so.

higgo
    Free Member

5 years for mountain bike BB: fantastic!

Those five years did include two different year long injuries though.
    And this is number two bike.

But yeah, it’s done OK.

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s the only XTR item on my bike, £40, nice middle ground.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve used XTR and Gusset BB’s in the past with good results, would recommend both. Currently running a raceface one that came with some cranks and it’s becoming a bit grouchy after 1000km or so with a lot of mud, so it’s done well enough. Still got a bit of life left in it to go before i swap it out.
    Have the new XT M8000 to go on that i got for £12 from amazon including the tool reducer. My road bike has the same size bearings in an ultegra BB and it’s running sweet as a nut despite being ridden through some really wet weather at times.

I would probably still be running the Gusset with replacement bearings if i hadn’t lost it in a box of parts somewhere

ta11pau1

Good timing, I’m pretty sure my original BB (BB52 hollowtech II) is currently eating itself, horrendous creaks and pops under load.

Will order an XT one to replace it.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I have been on my XTM8000 £12 job for 2 years and still super smooth. I think the longevity depends on how precise the pre load is. I have read and used the following tip : fully hand tight (with the right tool) and then back off a quarter of a turn.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve used a number over the years and so far my Hope Stainless BB is winning. Shimano ones are pretty good these days, the key is not overtightening the preload, that kills them pretty rapidly.
    Luckily enough I got a brand new Hope BB for £30 from a local for sale page at the weekend.

ta11pau1

OK so my BB is actually completely fine. My freehub pawls however… Yeah, they need a proper cleaning. Creak source found!

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a race Face one with replaceable bearings. Nothing special but when the bearings went after a few years I was able to buy fully filled and packed bearings which should last longer.

jameso

I think the older, bigger Shimanos work longer than the newer, smaller ones

You’d think so given the old ones had bigger bearings.
    But my experience (so far) is that the new XT ones are lasting far better.
    Two wet & grindy winters on a couple of them.
    Maybe they used better seals and better quality bearings?

Not hard to use better sealing than older gen Shimano MTB BBs, they were fairly hopeless and NDS bearing always failed first, more exposed. New versions are much better.

lardman
    Free Member

Shinano saint versions are very durable. 2 sets of drive side bearings, I’ve had one last 4 years so far.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hollowtech BB Options’ is closed to new replies.