Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hollowtech 2 crank not rotating freely
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

I recently installed a brand new LX hollowtech crank / bb and when spinning the crank, it doesn’t rotate freely – only manages a turn or so at most. Have been on a 10 mile ride on it thinking it might free off but it hasn’t – feels like I’m wasting a fair bit of energy.

It doesn’t sound or feel like it’s rubbing on anything – the bearings are running smooth – is it likely I’ve just overtightened the crank bolt (need to buy a new tool to check this) – or any other recommendations as to why it won’t spin freely?

fourbanger
    Free Member

They don’t spin as freely as a square taper cartridge BB, but it shouldn’t make any noticeable difference under load.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

At the moment – with the chain taken off – if I spin the crank as hard as I can and let go, it’ll just about manage one full turn before stopping – it doesn’t feel right??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5lab

what did you tighten the crank on with? they really need no torque at all (finger tight on the little shimano tool) it try undoing the pinch bolts, losening it, retightening (less) and see what its like?

wwaswas

that’s not too bad – the only thing you should worry about is if you’ve over-tightened the preload thingy in the end of the non-driveside crank arm. If you’re happy that’s really no more than finger tight then it’s fine.

none of my external BB shimano cranks spin have spun more than a turn or two.

woody2000

Overtightened the preload cap?

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

You have overtightened the crank bolt… but then how have you managed this without the tool?

I did the same with my LX hollowtech. That bolt does not need to be too tight.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Only one turn sounds like it might be a bit on the tight side.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Hmmm.. yep sounds like I went a bit overboard tightening up the non drive side bolt.. the tool had a cheap plastic insert, which was fine doing it up (a bit too tight!) but when trying to undo it chewed the tool up – so will get a new tool and then retry.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

swamp_boy

I got a s/h one that came without the cap and did it by feel and its fine a year on. Main thing is that there’s no float from end to end . I agree with the other posters, they only go a turn or two when you spin them, but it doesn’t seem to affect them as long as there’s no appreciable resistance. Its probably to do with the light weight of the cranks and the wide diameter of the bearing. [Or the two sides not lining up exactly if anyone wants to start another BB facing thread]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hollowtech 2 crank not rotating freely’ is closed to new replies.