Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Holidays in Europe after Br…
  • Kryton57

Should I book one now or in November?  We usually book next year’s about now, but other than getting some decent insurance and studying the T&C’s for anti Brexit clauses, what else could go wrong?

Long queue at Customs?

Exchange rates gone to pot?

Anything else?

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Just come visit our place in Norway ;). You’ll be fine here.

Caher

May have to upgrade your travel insurance if there’s no EHIC. Discussion on R4 this morning.

Poopscoop

I’d wait till November if it were me.

Well have a better idea of just how bad things will be, in the short term at least.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

I’ve had the same conversation with Mrs GM. We’re going to wait until November before planning holidays for next year.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Extra insurance and be sure you can cope with FX changes. In the event of a no deal GBP is expected to be best case parity with euro worse case parity with USD.

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you are worried about exchange rates you could always buy the currency in advance on a preloaded currency card.

For a tourist traveller, I would doubt you will notice any major differences.

mattyfez

Buy proper insurance, not just for accident /injury, there could well be flight cancellation /disruption.

I’d wait personally, unless you really have to travel.

tjagain

Who knows what will happen? NO deal means you will need proper health insurance, international driving permit, possibly carnet de passage if you are taking your car, visas etc etc

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wait.

Or stay in the UK.

Kryton57

Well no.    I went through an insurance policy with AXA and it seems ok.   They recommend you buy their most expensive insurance* – of course – which covers the total cost of my holiday, £15k’s worth of medical and £2m legal.   They warned against potential flight cancellations (covered), and booking cancellations (covered) and note that because we are buying a package holiday the company will cover a cancelled holiday (or ATOL/ABTA).

They do warn we may need to queue in the Foreigners line at customs, and to be earlier at the airport.  We are not driving so no issues there.

Common sense says the Euro countries will not want to impact UK tourism as its a major income generator/industry for a lot of places.

*£84 single trip family of four, Gold policy.

nickc

Going to Spain in a couple of weeks, coming back on 3rd November, just for funz…

northshoreniall

Can beat you nickc – flying to Spain on 31st, not our choice of date is for a wedding, and back 9th.will be great fun with a 6mth old waiting in the queues.

nickc

oooh, hope it goes alright for you!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

heading out to Spain for work start of November, been told I may have to pass off as holidays… along with my toolboxes

Kahurangi

Who knows? That’s what makes this so exciting!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ask Boris, he’s someone who knows.

My local MP has gone on Mat leave until Xmas… She’s a Cons’ which makes quite a lot of career sense IMO. Get out of the way of all those pesky complaints and questions.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m booked for nxt Febuary, can’t think why not, just like going anywhere else outside the EU. Not looking forward to the potential queuing though. Went to Prague in August, sailed through EU immigration in 2mins. The non EU line was 100yds long with the desk manned by one disinterested, bored looking officer 🙁🙁

MSP

heading out to Spain for work start of November, been told I may have to pass off as holidays… along with my toolboxes

Good luck!

Cougar

I’m booked for nxt Febuary, can’t think why not, just like going anywhere else outside the EU.

Probably but not necessarily. All those other places have not been in the EU for quite a bit longer than we will have, they’re kinda used to it.

Kryton57

just like going anywhere else outside the EU.

Yes, I had this conversation yesterday.  Maybe Cougar’s right initially, but hopefully it’ll be easier by next August… which is when I go 🙂

aP
    Free Member

I’m flying out to Singapore the night of 2nd November. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

garage-dweller

I think if my employer suggested that (they wouldn’t) I’d be telling them to sort it out properly. A refused entry/removed for lack of visa record won’t look good for some holiday destinations.

zilog6128

Not looking forward to the potential queuing though. Went to Prague in August, sailed through EU immigration in 2mins. The non EU line was 100yds long

be great coming back though, flash the ol blue passport and whiz straight through, no EU lane clogged up by Johnny Foreigner 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧

jimdubleyou

Flying to Chambery for Xmas skiing. I expect the passport queue to be 90-120 minutes instead of 60…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Flying to Chambery for Xmas skiing. I expect the passport queue to be 90-120 minutes instead of 60…

Going into France, Italy, Spain, it’s usually been no queue and barely a glance at the passport and waived through.

It’s coming back to UK I find the queues are bad, despite going through the EU channel and picking the e-passport readers. Usually because the whole system has gone tits up, rather than the process involved in checking.

Still though, being required to go through external immigration into EU may change matters.

Got a long way to go before it’s like getting into the US though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Holidays in Europe after Br…’ is closed to new replies.