Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Holidaying In England
  • dannyh
    Free Member

****ing impossible. Never again. Six hours driving time to cover 164 miles.

Waste of time. UK holiday industry, meh, whatever.

I’m saving my money in future and only ever holidaying abroad. Six hours. Could be in the US by now. Or Spain, Greece, Italy, Egypt, Turkey.

****’s sake.

igm

Too expensive for me.

onehundredthidiot

England = UK ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bruce

You probably picked the worst time to go. If you are stuck with school holidays you will always struggle.

dannyh
    Free Member

We are stuck with school holidays but we got to Northumberland (practically Kelso) in less time last year.

I’m calming down. We made it in time for the Tesco order. There is beer on the order.

alanl
    Free Member

North Wales?
    A mate told me there were massive queues on the A5 at Corwen.
    Also heard on the radio now, 4pm, Friday, massive queues aroudn Bristol on the M4/M5

kelvin

I thought the consensus was we’d all leave it a week, and then drive at night?

How’s the second beer going down?

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

You’re like a mardy delivery driver without a mask.

chakaping
    Free Member

Set off Friday daytime did you then?

That was your mistake guv.

Enjoy your break, sounds like you need it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Full of gammons and shit food. Nej tack

eskay

A crash on the A30 a few weeks ago resulted in a 9hr trip back to Bristol from Cornwall for my parents!

kelvin

Holy moly! That’s the bit of our summer drive I’m dreading most. In both directions.

iainc

On last day of a week in Northumberland, never seen the pace so busy, gave up on taking the dog to the beach this afternoon as can’t get near them by car and it’s too hot to walk much, first world problems I know, but we’ve been coming to this area for a decade and never seen it so crammed.

revs1972
    Free Member

Trying to get back from Exeter to Torquay around 2pm, traffic at a standstill on the A380 down into Penn Inn, the other road through Kingsteignton / Newton Abbot is chocco, so went down to Teignmouth to cut across, and some berk had broken down right on the lights for Shaldon Bridge.

Bloody grockles

TheBrick
    Free Member

Could be in the US by now.

Do you live past security in the airport?

AD

Weirdly I was paddleboarding on Loweswater this morning and we basically had lake to ourselves with no hassle parking in a scrape by waterside and I’ve just come back in from a ride up Fangs Brow, through Ennerdale and over Cold Fell with hardly any traffic… Probably be rammed over weekend though or perhaps everyone has stopped coming to Cumbria 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Heard the traffic news earlier. Did sound like the M5 and M6 was pretty much solid between Exeter and Manchester.

We holiday in the UK a fair bit and you do need to plan it to miss the busy periods

duncancallum

Yep England is shite…

rOcKeTdOg

Let’s think
    School holiday
    Difficult to go abroad
    Better than average weather…

…nope, no idea why it’s really busy in the holiday spots in the UK

I mean, c’mon 🤦

grum
    Free Member

Who’d have thought that touristy parts of England would be busy during a pandemic when foreign travel is still difficult and the summer weather is the hottest anyone can remember. Bizarre.

Where I live in England is ace btw (Arnside), sod driving anywhere else at the mo.

Edit: ha, beaten to it

ElShalimo

@dannyh – where are you? We all want to pop round to drink your holiday beer

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Off to Woolacombe tomorrow morning and the car is packed and ready to go, well it is til the Mrs wants something from the bottom of the pile… Grrr.

Everyone wants to go early, so on the road by 5 from essex, it should take 4/4 1/2 hours … anyone want to make me a price on what time we’ll get there ?

Mrs reckons they have a set number of beds and they always sell out every year, so this time it’ll be no different…. love her optimism .

cheers_drive

My 7 hr drive across Holland and Germany to get to Denmark suddenly seems quite reasonable. The weather here is a bit meh but it really is the land that covid forgot.

scuttler

Google Maps shows a clear run from north to Cornwall right now. Just a question of being creative. If it feels like a strange time to do something it’s a good time. Like going to that Center Parcs pool at teatime.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

If it feels like a strange time to do something it’s a good time.

Amen to that.
    Hit the beach at 6pm…empty!

grahamt1980

Who knew it would be crap this year. Start of summer holidays and hardly anyone going abroad.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m hoping for another 12 months of this (not the people being poorly bit but staycationing) as we’re working on our holiday let. Pretty much guaranteed that we’ll open the doors just as everyone in the country is hurtling towards the airport. 🤦

Should be Okay though as we’re two peninsulas better than grum 😛

b230ftw
    Free Member

What’s is like on the way down to Cornwall? Got a friend going and I’m kinda hoping it won’t be too bad for him and his family. Travelling from Yorkshire.

dannyh
    Free Member

You’re like a mardy delivery driver without a mask.

@Larry_Lamb

Chapeau. Good memory on your part. I’m nowhere near as fat and chavvy as that bloke, though. He had a face like a smacked arse.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We were in South Devon last week, near Kingsbridge. Nightmare of the highest order, 1st & last time in Devon for me. Overrated even without the crowds ( we were part of the crowds) even the A roads have passing places FFS!
    Now in the New Forest (Brockenhurst) can’t believe the lack of people on the Forest trails & even the coastline, different again to Devon & Cornwall.
    North Wales was quiet at the end of May & the beaches superb, same for Northern Scotland 4 weeks ago (Durness but not doing the NC500) weathers been excellent for all our trips up to now.
    Norfolk for 8 nights in August next.
    If you’re stuck with school holiday times in the UK then you’re gonna be amongst the crowds for now.

dannyh
    Free Member

BTW we are in the New Forest. I didn’t bother bringing my bike as I don’t want to end up being run out of town by pitchfork wielding yokels in the service of some Hunter Wellied ex stockbroker.

Houns

You’re not stuck in traffic you are the traffic
    You’re not amongst the crowds you are the crowd

etc etc

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

BTW we are in the New Forest. I didn’t bother bringing my bike as I don’t want to end up being run out of town by pitchfork wielding yokels in the service of some Hunter Wellied ex stockbroker.

Eh? Loads of bikes knocking about where we are, haven’t seen a single pitchfork. I’m bringing mine next time.

dannyh
    Free Member

You’re not stuck in traffic you are the traffic
    You’re not amongst the crowds you are the crowd

etc etc

Please don’t try to inject reason into the middle of an irrational rant.

Three cans of Tyskie, some red wine, my missus’s lasagne and a bit of a laugh with the kids and all is well.

Have I mentioned that I am a moody bastard and can be quite immature at times?

I know, you never would have guessed eh?

Houns

Yeah felt like I was poking an angry bear, sorry

scuttler

Nice one Dannyh.

Will tune in tomorrow for ‘nowhere to **** park!!’

🤣

eskay

Ro5ey
    Free Member
    Off to Woolacombe tomorrow morning

Woolacombe is busy during a normal summer, can’t imagine what it will be like this year. Good luck!

dannyh
    Free Member

Nice one Dannyh.

Will tune in tomorrow for ‘nowhere to **** park!!’

🤣

Who leaked the schedule to you?

That should have been more closely guarded than the plot to a Star Wars film.

jam-bo

I live about 5 miles from cornwall, I’m not going again until September.

dannyh
    Free Member

sorry

Don’t be. You seem a decent bloke from your cricket posts and I was just indulging my inner Basil Fawlty by having a toddler-esque rant.

Or we could have a pointless, massive, ‘I agree with you 99% but I will still fight you to the death over tyre compound’ STW style ruck.

I’ve just popped a can of Hobgoblin Gold and the kids are keeping us entertained taking the piss out of Death in Paradise, so all good. Feet are back on the ground.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Holidaying In England’ is closed to new replies.