Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Holiday reading, what’s in your suitcase?
  • roger_mellie

Me:

Ben MacIntyre, SAS Rogue Heroes

C J Samson, Dominion

Usually I keep it light for beach reading material, but I’m blimming glad I chose the above.

The first, quite stunning acts of bravery and human endurance superbly told with moments of great humour; the second, a believable alternative history with deep personal elements and a strong, evocative plot.

What are you planning to take away with you/ have taken away?

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got the Macintyre lined up as well.

First up, going back to this wonder again,

sockpuppet

Sadly, I brought the John McGuinness book, built for speed.

Another person I think rather less of, having read their autobiography, along with Eric Clapton amongst others.

Garry_Lager

Like to take something large for holiday reading, so reckon it will be round 3 with Proust this year, The Guermantes Way – Moncreiff, as per.

For companion reading I recently finished the Witcher 3 game and am really curious to see if the books (by <span class=”st”>Andrzej Sapkowski</span>) are any good. So much of the success of that game was down to characterisation and story so there has to be some quality in the novels, reckon I’ll take a couple away with me.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m not going on holiday,I don’t have a suitcase and I don’t read books so I’m perfectly qualified to recommend this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Brain-Eden-Neurochemistry-Consciousness-ebook/dp/B00KC1DLLM

Written by my neighbour who gave me a copy last week.Tantric sex and eating fruit sex organs what better for your hols!

,Just googled it and there’s a few videos too

garage-dweller

I went on holiday with the avowed intention of finishing “Alone in Berlin” by Hans Fallada.  An impulse purchaser at Waterloo station a while back which is a riveting read but I’m lacking enough time between cancelled flights, broken cars, broken boats, domestic projects and a volunteer role to actually finish the blasted thing!

pondo

I loved Simon Barnes’ sports book but struggled with Aliens – I shall revisit.

+1 on the McGuiness book.

I’ve just got David Walsh’s Seven Deadly Sins, also got G’s book on the shelf, looking forward to tucking in. 🙂

matt10214
    Free Member

Matterhorn – Karl Marlantes

binners

I started a thread a couple of days ago with advice for holiday reading. First one lined up to start tomorrow comes courtesy of Harry the Spider – Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. A bit of ‘Air Cav’ bonkersness

mooman
    Free Member

Trauma and Recovery by Judith Herman … 3/4 of way through it, and still no idea who did it!

olddonald

Just bought

the last battle 1918

and anthony beavors – battle for the bridges

Might also re-read Albuera. the brits fighting the French – makes a change from the Germans.

The first two might be the precursors to another bike trip across the north sea

shinton
    Free Member

Domestique by Charly Wegelius is a good read if you want some insight into the day to day life in the peleton. Also didn’t realise the incident at the world champs. No more spoilers.

roger_mellie

Ah, sorry Binners, hadn’t seen your thread. Here it is for a bit of cross referencing:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-good-read/

Thanks for the contributions all.

nick1962 Yes, perfectly qualified!  😉

handybar
    Free Member

A couple of filthy Flashmans.

superstu
    Free Member

Matt – Matterhorn is amazing, love that book.

mariner
    Free Member

Adults in the Room – Yanis Varoufakis. Makes me quite angry. How France and Germany stitched up Greece to save themselves. You start to realise who is paying off the banksters debts under the guise of austerity. Would make a good film.

In Search of Lost Time – Proust. Get the paper back as the hard cover will wake you up when it hits the ground. Guaranteed to send you sleep at any time of the day.

somafunk

Tommy Caldwell – The Push is a good holiday read where he talks about climbing the Dawn Wall in Yosemite, As is Andy Kirpatrick – Psycho Vertical about his 13 day climb of the Reticent wall (again yosemite)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Holiday reading, what’s in your suitcase?’ is closed to new replies.