Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Holiday in Iran – yes/no
  • cranberry
    Free Member

I am looking for somewhere different to visit this year, and having passed up an opportunity some years ago, and reading this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/middle_east/article5768065.ece I am thinking about heading off to Iran on an organised tour.

On the plus side, the people are reportedly very friendly, it is a beautiful country and there’s more history than you could shake a stick at.

On the downside, I would be visiting a theocracy with a very poor human rights record.

I am split between wanting to visit and explore a very different and interesting country, and meet the people there, and not wanting to support a country that denies basic human rights to it’s citizens and visitors.

What do you think?

hora
    Free Member

Yes I would but you will be flagged on a watch list. Think visiting Moscow etc in the 80’s.

psychle
    Free Member

definitely yes… I work for a small-group tour operator and the Iran trip is very popular, went from 1 departure 2 years ago to running every 2 weeks now (in season). I’m thinking of heading there later this year, I really love Islamic architecture 🙂 not sure if this is allowed, but click here to check out our tour… we’re very big on responsible travel and make a point of supporting local communities wherever we travel…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kasperthecourier
    Free Member

Have two good friends who went there last spring. Said they met the most freindly and open people. Definete go! Wish I hadn’t turned down the opportunity..

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Yes I would go because as you say it’s ” a very different and interesting country”. And yes it’s a ” theocracy with a very poor human rights record” but I’m not sure that it’s much worst than many countries in the region. On the plus side, there’s little doubt that the majority of the population supports their system of government – however unacceptable might be to us. And flawed as democracy might be in Iran, it’s certainly one of the most democratic countries in the Middle East. Visits by western tourists can only enhance understanding, and hopefully bring forward the day when Iran has a less isolationist and more tolerant attitude towards non-islamic people. Britain’s historic role in Persia, and it’s support for brutal dictatorship in the past, is not good. Time to show good intentions towards the Iranian people I reckon.

Gooner
    Free Member

would love to go
    went to jordan earlier this year and loved it

book it and go

psychle
    Free Member

hopefully bring forward the day when Iran has a less isolationist and more tolerant attitude towards non-islamic people

I think it’s more the government than the people though… important to make that distinction 🙂

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I’m thinking of the Iranian people maybe voting for more liberal candidates at election time psychle. They do have that choice.

Lanesra
    Free Member

Yes, I travel a lot in the Middle East and Iran is one of the better places. Contrary to popular belief its a very secular country

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’d love to visit Persia. Some amazing things to see, and experience.

Isfahan:

Persepolis:

Go.

Would you visit the US? And I’m assuming you live in the UK?

Do it.

Or, can I have yer ticket?

andy_hamgreen

I went down there for a few weeks back in the early nineties with work – it was a fab experience – very nice people when you get inside – but they did like driving over the stars & stripes they had painted on the roads ! – it was a proper foreign country experience like things used to be in the old days before all this internet and immediate communications tosh…..go for gods sake – or inshallah as they say down there…..or you’ll regret missing it

glasgowdan
    Free Member

And the food…oh boy, the food! Half of my family is Iranian and I’ve been learning various recipes and it’s all gravy!

andywhit
    Free Member

Quite fancy Libya, loads of quality roman sites.

A la Leptis Magna http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptis_Magna

markenduro
    Free Member

Are there any decent bars there?
    I went ot Libya in the late 90’s when they were still deeemed to be a terrorist state and absoulutely loved it, friendly people, amazing scenery and top grub. I would imagine Iran to be similar in many ways but with even more history, normal people more interested in day to day living than dispensing death to the west.
    My top tip is to get yourself a duplicate passport if you have ever been to israel or the us or intend to in the future and don’t like being fisted.

Blackhound

Herself went 10 years ago and really enjoyed it, plenty of pics like those above.

She had been to the US before as well, and a few times since.

When she went there I went to Moab. I was reading a newspaper which was reviewing an American trip to Iran. At some hotel there was a big sign saying “Death to America” but the Americans were made very welcome by all. I would say go.

Lanesra
    Free Member

andywhit- I travel to Libya every couple of weeks for work (went yesterday for a day trip with our illustrious PM). If you want to go there mail me and I can get you an airport visa/have a guide/driver set up for you.

We’re aiming to have an eimar zone in place by next year, though you can drink etc.. if you really want to

Ambrose

I went to college with a number of Iranian guys- some of the friendliest people around. Go there, open minded.

Jolsa

Do it. I travelled around Iran by myself for 3 weeks in Oct 2007, Tehran-Sari-Masuleh-Shiraz-Esfahan-Yazd-Tehran. I can’t recommend it enough, without a doubt the most open and friendly people I’ve ever met. Esfahan is stunning, don’t miss the Sheikh Lotfollah mosque.

Still keep in touch with people I met there, I’m hoping to go back later this year.

If you want any info, want to see some photos let me know (jolsa78 AT gmail DOT com).

scraprider
    Free Member

yes go , and rember its there country and there rules, and you should have a brill time.

Hooter
    Free Member

I’ve been 4 times, a mixture of tourism and work. Fantastic place, very friendly. Alborz mountains, Shiraz and Persepolis are amazing. It’s tricky to get into the country, but once you’re in, you don’t get any official hassle. Just be aware of the local laws and customs thats all.

cranberry
    Free Member

thanks for all of the replies – looks like I might be off to the embassy to get myself a visa.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Jolsa, let’s see some pics! Can you bung ’em up on here? Pleeease!

andym
    Free Member

looks like I might be off to the embassy to get myself a visa

IIRC you can’t just pole up and ask for a visa – you have to get an Iranian firm/agency to apply on your behalf. Or something like that.

http://www.irantour.org/iranvisa.html

Jolsa

I used Key2Persia for my visa, I found them to be very helpful
    http://www.key2persia.com/

RudeBoy – sure, here’s a few…

alpin
    Free Member

yeah, go. i’m hoping to at some point.

the girls are (mostly) beautiful, i should know. the GF is half iranian. some of her cousins that come over to visit…ooommhhh…. weak knee stuff when they look at you.

iranian food is v. good. GF’s dad cooks all the time. it’s like going out for a meal each evening.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Thanks, Jolsa!

Stunning. I used pics of some of the tile work at Isfahan, to explain the principles of digital images to my students; how pixels work to create an image.

And because I wanted to look at pics of such stunning buildings! They understood, mind.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Iran – yes/no’ is closed to new replies.