• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Holiday in Betws-y-Coed with kids and M-I-L
  • ctk
    Free Member

Kids are 3 and 5 MIL is 70 and likes gardens wildlife etc but is not great at walking. She may stay behind some days.

So far we have the following:

We have booked tickets for Snowden Rsilway.(pricey!)

We plan a trip by train to Llandudno.

What else should we be looking at? Kids like the outdoors and adventures etc. I’d love a shortish walk that ended in brilliant views. I’ll have the car but train travel ideas would be cool also as we are staying right next to the station. I wont have a bike- harumph!

Any tips at all with regards things to do or food or whatever! Would be appreciated, thanks

geetee1972
    Free Member

Why not go to Rio instead? I hear that it’s the ideal destination if you’re travelling with your mother in law.

geetee1972
    Free Member

On a serious note, a walk into the slate quarries is fun. The kids will love it. You cn park up the top near, I think Bus Stop Quarry, (or you could take the bus!) and walk in from there.

It’s impressive to see, especially Dalis Hole, which if the water line is low has an erie, ‘lost world’ feel to it, with ghostly white spindly trees and abandoned huts. You can also walk through the tunnels into other areas. The climbing is also fun to watch.

wwaswas

Conwy’s worth a visit on a Sunny day.

RustySpanner

Have used Piggery Pottery Linky with good results, a few years ago now mind.
    Just up the road from Llanberis.

There’s the Sea Zoo on Anglesey which is supposed to be good.
    Link.
    Beautiful walks through Newborough Forest out to the lighthouse just up the road.
    A lovely beach too, nice coves and plenty of exploring, but the walk out to the island might be a bit much for the MiL.

Just remembered, Slate Museum at Llanberis is well worth a trip.
    Free, and an awful lot better than it sounds – bet your MiL would like it as well as the kids, some social history for the adults.
    Quarry hospital just up the road worth a visit too.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Why are you taking men (not necessarily middle aged) in Lycra on holiday with you and your kids? 😆

RustySpanner

Oh, and if it’s absolutely lagging it down, the ‘Magic Mountain’ tour of the hydroelectric power station at Llanberis is well worth a pop.
    Very Bond villianesque.

Penrhyn Castle linky in Bangor is a cracking NT property.
    Visiting this place after the slate museum gives an interesting perspective on how the wealth created in the quarries was spent.

Cletus

Spent some days in North Wales in May. My daughter enjoyed crabbing in Caernarfon harbour the most.

RustySpanner

We cycled past a load of kids playing by Llyn Padarn last week.

It was warm but raining, parents huddled against the wall whilst the kids splashed about regardless.
    🙂
    The kids won’t remember the rain.

ctk
    Free Member

Awesome tips there thankyou all for taking the time.

I think Penrhyn will be a good shout for the M-I-L

I definitely fancy the hydro electric plant and all the various slate places.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Llyn Crafnant lake is scenic, can be walked around, has a picnic area and a short drive from Trefriw which is itself about ten mins North from Betwys.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Bodnant Gardens and Portmeirion for the MIL
    Greenwood forest park for the kids,if its raining then Hwylfan in Caernarfon.
    Surf snowdonia is worth a visit.

project
    Free Member

Bodnant gardens between Betws and Landudno, LLechwedd slate quarries, Blaenau festiniog, bus direct from Betws or train direct, longest single track railway in uk to Blaenau, and await til you enter daylight again at Blaenau, a total shock, Snowdon ranger bus for a tour around, lots of cheap day tickets for buses in the area,Conwy, is great town wall and castle and a harbour,cable cars at LLandudno, and historic cable tramway, hope the brakes work, they do, but you always wonder,

uponthedowns
    Free Member
    ctk
    Free Member

A week not enough maybe!

I think I’d be the only one interested in the zip wire… Might be a go-er if i get half a day to myself.

dyls

Ffestiniog railway from blaenau to porthmadog for a rainy day.

There is a go ape place / cafe on the outskirts of betws.

Llechwedd attractions in blaenau ffestiniog for the kids.

A walk up to llyn elsi in betws, picnic there?

bencooper
    Free Member

Greenwood Forest Park is also great for the kids. Plus loads of castles – Beaumaris, Caernarfon, Conwy (with the city walls too). World’s smallest house in Conwy too.

mrhoppy

There’s a miniature railway and big model railway set up behind the station in betws, good for a short activity with the kids.

Llyn gerionedd is good for a visit and the walking is flat and easy from there.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Treetops just outside betws (now owned by zip world) has just opened a new bouncy net thing in the trees. Good cafe too.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Surf Snowdonia

a converted hydro electric powerplant which has a huge surf wave pool, cafe and viewing facilities. MIL might not have a go but the kids should love it !

https://surfsnowdonia.co.uk/

ctk
    Free Member

Thanks again more good stuff.
    Definitely fancy the train to Blaena.
    Bodnant looks a good shout for M-i-l
    Greenwood looks perfect for the kids aswell
    And Llyn Elsi looks a doable walk even with kids. My 5 year old will walk anywhere if he’s occupied but the 3 year old wants to be carried half the time and he’s getting HEAVY!

project
    Free Member

Down to Blaenau and walk up to Stwlan dam, there used to be a bus service, electric mountain llanberis, porthmadoc is quant as is the highland railway to Caernarfon bit expensive though.

ctk
    Free Member

Highland railway looks good but after splashing £30ish each on a ticket for the Snowden railway I doubt the other half will be up for any mire extortionate train rides!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Holiday in Betws-y-Coed with kids and M-I-L’ is closed to new replies.