Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Holiday help – Isle of Skye, Stockholm or Helsinki?
  • markyd

Need to get away for 3-4 days at Feb Halfterm. Considering either the Isle of Skye, Stockholm or Helsinki. How expensive is eating/drinking in Stockholm / Helsinki and has the weak pound made it lots worse? What sort of weather does skye get in Feb, does it pour with rain or does it get a good dose of snow if its cold? Got a good idea of cost of getting there and hotel, just interested in what it costs when I’m there.

I’m secretly wanting to go to Skye and scramble on the Culin ridge (I might be allowed a day on my own!)

Hairychested
    Free Member

My mate went to Skye and loved the place. His helicopter return flight to Cornwall got cancelled but no refund given.

highlandfling
    Free Member

Skye, but I would say that given my forum name! Seriously, it’s magic! People who complain about the weather is my pet hate cause it’s the one thing in life you can do nothing about, dress accordingly and get on with it. 😆

glenh
    Free Member

Skye. It is awesome. Weather might be crap though.

ThePerfectKiss

Helsinki/Stockholm break, then euro rate will hurt, food + booze typically expensive
    mind you the women are stunning (not much use if your with SO)

Depends what your *really* looking for in a short break…

glenh
    Free Member

Oh, btw, scrambling probably won’t be an option in feb due to snow/ice.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

As a fan of Skye and Stockholm, I can tell you they are slightly different places. To add to the above…

Helsinki/Stockholm break, then euro rate will hurt

Unless you consider that the pound has only slipped slightly against the Swesish Krown. Stockholm isn’t really that expensive- cheaper than many UK cities, way less than London.

Oh, btw, scrambling probably won’t be an option in feb due to snow/ice.

True, a winter full traverse is pretty sweet, but is a fairly serious undertaking, but shorter day things could well go. If you’re considering it then you presumably know what you’re doing. I’d say the length of day at that time of year is the main problem (assuming weather plays ball).

My mate went to Skye and loved the place. His helicopter return flight to Cornwall got cancelled but no refund given

WTF?? Is that a joke?

grumm
    Free Member

Skye – stunning place. Not sure about doing the Cuillin Ridge in winter on your own unless you have done plenty of that kind of stuff before.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

skye for fires on beach with whisky take your own girl the drama of all the landscape fires and all that your on a winner for scottish al fresco fun if you can risk the chill i know i would

hotcharge
    Free Member

having lived in helsinki for a year and spent honeymoon (part of ) in Stockholm i can recommend both! Helsinki is quite a cool city, not so in your face. Stockholm is just a really beautiful place. Depends on budget really, both not cheap but no worse than London. I would say go to Helsinki! Cold though!

will
    Free Member

Skye is beautiful! Probably one of the best holidays i have ever had. Can’t comment on other 2 as i havn’t been. And only went to Skye in summer 🙄

alp_girl
    Free Member

Personally, I’d say Skye every time, no matter what time of year – but if you’re after a “city break”, both Stockholm and Helsinki are cool places to go to (literally in February :wink:). I’ve been to Helsinki more often, and although it’s on the coast, it still was usually snowy/frosty rather than just wet in winter, just cause of the temperature (ice diving in the frozen river, anyone ;-)?). Food was great in both places, alcohol a bit on the expensive side (I mostly drink vodka mixers though, no idea about beer…)

druidh
    Free Member

Skye doesn’t get whole load of snow on account of being on an island and the hills being actually not very high. It’s February, so it’ll likely be cold and damp. If you’re into “making your own fun” it could be just fine.. a nice warm fire, wee walks, a dram and some good food. But nights are still long / daylight short. As for hitting the ridge, it could well be icy. If you’re careful, choose the right summit and are prepared to turn back if it’s not going well, then you could be rewarded by massive blue skies, views to die for and crystal clear air.

Personally, I’d leave Skye for later in the year.

richc
    Free Member

Skye is pretty however I have to say I prefered Raasay, as there was a lot less people, and it felt a nicer for some reason (more than likely due to the lack of coach loads of tourists)

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno about the hills not being that high – maybe compared to the mainland, still 12 munros though. May is meant to be the best time for weather on Skye.

There is apparently bike trails on raasay – anyone been on them?

molgrips
    Free Member

Helsinki is great. The city is nice but low key, but really head for Nuuksio National park immediately outside the city. Take some sausages and find a barbecue hut by a lake, build up a big fire and sit in the snow drinking beer and eating meat. You won’t forget it! Better still, see if you can arrange hire of a sauna in the woods – all the above but with sauna 🙂

Also you can get a ferry to Tallinn which is a superb place. A complete fairytale city with good eateries at ridiculously low prices and fascinating stuff around every corner.

Never been to Stockholm mind but I’ve heard people call it the most beautiful city in Europe.

Blackhound

Not many distilleries in Stockholm or Helsinki but on Skye there is Talisker. And a lovely restaurant in Broadford called The Creel iirc. Probably easier to get to Stockholm though…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Holiday help – Isle of Skye, Stockholm or Helsinki?’ is closed to new replies.