• This topic has 58 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Holiday Cottage cancelled within 1.5h of check-in – What are my rights?
  • xcpootler
    Free Member

Long time lurker here looking to leverage the might of the STW hive-mind.

We’ve got a cottage booked in Alnwick for a week’s holiday starting today, with check-in at 3pm. I’ve literally just had a call from Cottages.com to say that they have just been informed that the property has failed it’s gas certificate and so we won’t be able to stay. Apparently we’re going to be offered a refund and some currently unknown amount of compensation, but that they can’t re-accommodate use as they have no properties available in the area.

Any idea what are my rights? WWSTWD?!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t except the first offer.
    Execpt it, get a plan and go anywhere.

dti

I would ask to see a copy of the said certificate

dawson

As you hadn’t actually arrived at the time, I’d say full refund and some compensation will be the best you can get

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Does it have an electric shower?
    Tell then to turn the gas off at the mains, take a camping stove, get them to refund you 50%
    Proceed with previous plan.

frankconway

Can’t advise about rights – other than to reject first offer.
    Suggest you call Crabtree & Crabtree as they manage holiday lets in Northumberland and the Borders; used them before – very good.
    If you find some alternative accommodation and it’s more expensive, factor that into your compensation demand.

weeksy

is it a private person doing this or a corporate thing ? That would affect my answer greatly..

Colin-T

WWSTWD?!

Sausages, Bombers or Shoes

frankconway

You could message Drac as he’s a local and may have some contacts or suggestions.

scotroutes

If you’re getting a full refund plus some extra then I think that’s pretty much your lot regarding your rights. It’s quite possible there is no alternative accommodation available

robola

How many people and have you already travelled?

Cletus

Not sure about rights but I would try finding an alternative yourself and then asking them to pay the difference plus some compensation.

Given timescales Airbnb would probably be the best for finding somewhere available quickly. I have just done a search and there does look to be some available properties in the area.

I have used cottages.com in the past and been happy with their service but not had an issue like this. I would have thought that they would have some policy/procedure in place for issues like this.

BillMC

The Youth Hostel in Alnwick is worth checking out and it’s conveniently near to the Tanners’ Arms.

xcpootler
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts so far folks.

This is through Cottages.com, so not exactly a small outfit…

We’re 2 adults, a 5yo and a 2yo – so we’re currently trying to pretend to the kids that nothing is going on, while desperately trying to find some alternatives!

Given that the time between the cottage being cancelled and check-in is only 90 minutes, I think it’s fully to be expected that we have travelled…

TheBrick
    Free Member

Also embrace the situation and do whatever becomes available. serendipity, best laid plans all that jazz.

franksinatra

Get on the phone to Croquet Cottages. Explain the situation and see if they can help. They have loads of holiday lets in the local area and will know about last minute cancellations you may be able to take up.

Edit, lovely looking place available in Amble starting today for 7 nights, Amble is a cracking little town with brilliant access to the best beaches.
    https://coquetcottages.co.uk/northumberland-holiday-cottages/queen-street-hideaway/

weeksy

I think it’s fully to be expected that we have travelled

Depends how far you’re going 😀

frankconway

Crabtree & Crabtree have at least one property in/near Alnwick available from today.

Yak

Go for one of those above and if they are more than the refund + compensation offer ask them to cover the difference as a minimum.

scaredypants

I’d be taking a drive past the cancelled property and if it’s occupied, hammer some frozen wee into their chimney or, err, something

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

We often use Sykes Cottages and I’ve just had a quick look on their page – 4 properties for Alnwick that would meet your needs, one is ridiculously expensive, the others around £1000, which is still dear for 7 nights in my book but might work for you.

Pieface

I guess your rights will be defined in the T & Cs and cancellation policy.

fossy

What a ‘sh1tter’ – hope you find something fast.

tonyf1
    Free Member

Not great timing but unexpected things do happen.

Rights wise it’s what’s in the T&C’s which will probably only cover refund of the booking. Be careful of going in with both feet as the compensation may stop being on the table.

fossy

Booking.com – some approaching £1,600 plus for the week, although The Schooner Hotel is just over a grand for 4 for a week in Alnmouth – at least there is availability, even if for a night or two until you find something.

franksinatra

The Schooner Hotel is just over a grand for 4 for a week in Alnmouth

As the The Schooner, officially the most haunted hotel in Britain. Even if ghosts don’t scare you, the quality of the food should. The place is shocking. So shocking that Trading Standards took them to court last year.

Don’t make a bad situation worse by going there!

footflaps

We turned up in Windermere once, collected the keys to the cottage but when we got there it had flooded inside!

Luckily Cottages.com did have something free – was in Coniston, so they just gave us that.

xcpootler
    Free Member

OP here.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, help, advice etc. Knew I could rely on you lot!

We’ve now booked somewhere through Sykes, which is only moderately outrageously expensive. Now to do battle with Cottages.com for some form of compensation…

Blackflag
    Free Member

Good luck.

docrobster
    Free Member

Oh bummer that is a nightmare story. Glad you got sorted. Lovely place to be though so you’ll hopefully soon put it behind you. Had a lovely weekend in amble a couple of weeks ago in an Airbnb place but obviously that was before school holidays had started and would possibly be too small for your needs.
    First beer tonight will slip down easily I reckon!😂

jhinwxm
    Free Member

Youth Hostel ffs. So cringe its almost funny.

MSP

Sausages, Bombers or Shoes

Isn’t this the one time when “kicking the back doors in” could be used.

Duggan

I would (of course) check the T&C’s of your original booking before speaking to them re: compensation and then it can inform you of what profile to adopt when speaking to them.

I.e. have they breached their own terms in an outrageous way or just a little bit (or at all).

frankconway

pootler – pleased you’ve got an alternative sorted.
    Enjoy!

csb

Sounds like a good alternative OP.

Youth Hostel ffs. So cringe its almost funny.

Have you been to a YH in the last 20 years? Sone of them are really nice now, private ensuite rooms, good food…

BearBack
    Free Member

As a above, t&C’s first. But you can expect language to say full refund or alternative if available.
    There will likely also be a limitation of indirect or consequential loss, could be iro 100-125% of price paid to mitigate the argument of travel expenses incurred.
    Ianal
    I’d do it when you get home though, but you may also see t&c time limitations for making a complaint.

avdave2

Anyone else think it odd that you would have your gas safe certificate renewed every year in the middle of the busiest period of the year.

If you are close by in the new place I’d be driving past to have a look.

steveb

My thought too. Only an idiot owner would be having safety checks done on change over day peak season. Very risky.

Glad the OP sorted, lovely area. We’ve stayed in cottage on a farm close to Alnwick a couple of times.

boblo
    Free Member

Sone of them are really nice now, private ensuite rooms, good food…

I suppose it really depends on your expectations… I find them expensive, rule bound, and generally dire. When they were cheap and you had to arrive on a horse/canoe/shanks and clean the bogs before getting chucked out, at least you got what you paid (little) for. Now they’re in the leisure sector, cost the same as other much nicer accom and serve prison style mass catering.

Only as an absolute last resort and definitely not for the annual family holiday.

piemonster

I think this is the owner cancellation text

9 Cancellations by us, the owner or service providers
    If we or the owner, Novasol A/S or the service provider cancel your booking or are prevented from providing the
    accommodation you have booked, you may choose to:
     accept alternative accommodation – you will have to pay any difference in price if the cost of the new
    accommodation is higher or be reimbursed the difference if the cost of the new accommodation is lower;
     request a voucher with a redemption value equal to the amount previously paid by you for the booking – the
    voucher terms and conditions will be available before you make your choice under this clause; or
     obtain a refund of the amount already paid by you for the booking.
    We will contact you to inform you of these options.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.