Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Holiday advice Turkey,Spain,Portugal
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

My wife is beginning to plan our family holiday for next year ( August ). In the past we have alternated between France and Florida but have found France has become increasingly more expensive – eating out, food shopping etc.So we are looking at self catering holiday at one of the above destinations.Im not fussed where as long as it has nice pool and good local beaches but which will be the cheapest for eating out , food, car hire etc. Any advice or experiences will be gratefully received.
    Ed

Routeunknown
    Free Member

Of the 3 I would choose Spain.

Turkey is usually too hot for me in August. Portugal is a little less expensive than Spain but I always think Spain seems to have the upper hand for facilities, locations etc. – having said that I have been to some great places in Portugal!!

stumpyjon

Kalkan, Turkey, just come back and planning next year’s trip and we never go to the same place twice. Was hot in August, 39 degrees, was good in some respects though as it forced you to slow down. Lots to do, beaches, watersports, antiquities, day trips, boat trips, mountains, enough places to eat to keep you going for months.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just got back from Icmeler in Turkey after the best family holiday ever.

Parasailing tandem with the 10’yr old daughter and a Go Pro on her, dragged behind a speedboat on an inflatable, snorkelling, shopping for poor quality fake goods drinking and eating scrummy food. Oh and a bit of chilling.

Aqua hotel, ranked no. 1 on Trip advisor for the resort. Superb. It deserves to have the reviews it gets.

I’d book for next year if we weren’t planning on Orlando.

IanW
    Free Member

Been to Turkey three times hated it more each time.

takisawa2

Been to Turkey once & loved it.

Why go back twice more if you didn’t like it…? 🙂

unknown
    Free Member

I’d choose Portugal. In my limited experience of all three countries I found it by far the least ‘Brits abroad’ of them, and that’s pretty much my number one criteria.

Ed2001
    Free Member

So it seems a toss up between Turkey and Portugal.Anyone got ideas about how they compare cost wise?

tenfoot

Went to Sarigerme in Turkey this year. Lovely holiday, but we went late May, when it’s not too hot.

Just looking at a First Choice brochure, Portugal is more expensive than Turkey, at least for the First Choice Holiday Villages. I guess this would be representative across the whole holiday spectrum.

creamegg
    Free Member

Kalkan+1

Ive stayed here twice and would go back again…

http://www.kalkan-apartment.co.uk/apartment.html

IanW
    Free Member

Been to Turkey once & loved it.

Why go back twice more if you didn’t like it…?

I asked myself that after the last time.

The holidays have been over 20 some years with different partners who’ve all wanted to go there. First was Olu Deniz sometime in the 90’s it was ok unlike now there wasn’t much there. No where near as nice as some of the Greek islands I was also visiting at that time. Girlfriend got sick, I nearly drown trying to help someone else who was drowning and the nearest town was full of bears on chains and kids with no legs.

Second time was a.forgettable week in bod rum circa 2000.

Last time was a pretty expensive family holiday to a 5 star( but not really) all inclusive place near Side, it was all set up to make it difficult to take advantage of the all inclusive aspect and the place was full of Russians who are the new South Africans when it comes to unpleasant to be around.

Having said all that I have friends who absolutely love it there and would move or at least buy a place in a flash. Suppose you have to go and make you own mind up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Holiday advice Turkey,Spain,Portugal’ is closed to new replies.