• This topic has 22 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by csb.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Holiday 2014 – Denmark on a bike – anyone any experience/help?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Mrs M and I have arbitrarily (sort of) decided that it’s going to be Denmark this year. Get the ferry over, bikes (prob road/CX) on the back of the car, find a holiday let of some sort, ride around (a lot), day trips to Copenhagen and… we’ll find somewhere else to visit I’m sure…

Anyone done anything similar? Any tips? Advice? TIA as always 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

You might change your mind when you learn how much the ferry is 🙂

munkster
    Free Member

Already looked into that and have sold a kidney to raise funds so all good.

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you’re wanting multiple day trips to Copenhagen I guess you’ll want to stay in Zealand. Nearly all the biking we have done is in Jutland, so not much help.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cycled for a week from Fredrikhavn up to Skagen, gorgeous coast, easy cycling lots to see, just chilled and relaxed.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We did the otherside, Esbjerg to Skagen.

nbt

why take the car? park up, ride to ferry, ride off at the other side. We’ve done it in Belgium not denmark but can be great

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

why take the car? park up, ride to ferry, ride off at the other side. We’ve done it in Belgium not denmark but can be great

We did this – and got Commodore Class on the way back 🙂 2 X sweaty cyclists turning up lifted an eyebrow or two!

We did Esjberg to Rosklilde (to the festival :)) then up to Aarhus and down the coast.

Recommendations
    – the lake district around Silkeborg – mildly hilly and beuatiful
    – Aarhus – a cracking town, full of character

We have the cycle route maps still (I think) if you’d like them

TM

ebygomm
    Free Member

pano-1 by ebygomm, on Flickr

Yes, area around Silkeborg is lovely

munkster
    Free Member

I think we’d still want the option of the car. While I’d happily cycle every day, Mrs M not always so keen to do so. Plus I don’t think my CX takes panniers so we’d be limited.

Sounds like there’s a fair bit of expertise amongst you guys – where would you suggest as a “base” assuming we did take the car and did rides out from that base?

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

It is a great country – and quite big.

Not helpful I know but what sort of trip are you after – beach, culture, countryside, theme parks?

heaven by Rich_F_, on Flickr

and their pastries are awesome – this was the first stop after 30kms of riding with no breakfast!

TM

munkster
    Free Member

With a raw egg on top as well, nice touch!

Mostly after a bit of culture, places to go (does our NT membership work over there?? 😉 ), occasional beach laziness (although not sunbathers), walks in country, interspersed with pleasant cycling…

DrJ

TM – just for information, that pastry is called a “baker’s bad eye”. Still tastes great, though 🙂

One special day out from Copenhagen is to take the bikes on a ferry that goes to the isalnd of Hven (or Ven) which is strictly speaking Swedish. It is really a glimpse of some old fashioned Scandi paradise with old villages, fantastic beaches, rocky shore etc. See http://www.visithven.dk/UK/index.html On a nice day it’s wonderful.

Or …. thinking further … take bikes to Helsingor and ride to Hornbaek. I haven’t done it but I suspect there are nice wooded trails. Hornbaek is a seaside town like you imagine your childhood was (but which it wasn’t). Fishing boats, big beaches, ice cream.

munkster
    Free Member

ps – this is all great stuff guys, thanks very much, keep it coming if you can think of anything else!

dazzlingboy

Mrs DB and I spent our honeymoon touring round eastern Denmark – island hopping. Flew to Copenhagen then train to Aarhus and biked from there.

Some (old) photos here

http://goo.gl/taVKMa

munkster
    Free Member

DB those pics are great – very good inspiration for our plans, thanks for sharing! 🙂

twiglet_monster
    Free Member
    Mikkel
    Free Member

Here is some pictures from the trip Esbjerg to Skagen that ebygomm talks about

cycletrip 019

rickmeister

Make sure you get your ovulation discount from your trip….

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vrO3TfJc9Qw[/video]

hammerite
    Free Member

We’re planning on doing something similar, ferry from Harwich to HvH, drive through NL, Germany on to Denmark then Sweden before doing the same back. We’re thinking of doing it over 3 weeks with stops on the way. No idea where we’ll stop etc…. but will look at any info here.

Mikkel
    Free Member

twiglet, i grew up some 20 miles from that place, and it always made me giggle too.

Very nice around there, and not far from the nice sandy beaches (where they have now finally cleared the old minefield)and they have even made some nice mountainbike trails there too now.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ferry to Denmark is being axed from September so looks like you planned your trip just in time.

csb

We were there for 3 weeks supposed to do the North Sea route but the wind was brutal so we Rode from esjberg up the coast and over to rebild Bakker national park then down to Aarhus and the lovely lakes bit. Quite a few wild campsites, very chilled.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Holiday 2014 – Denmark on a bike – anyone any experience/help?’ is closed to new replies.