Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Holdsworth Mystique
  • intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve a very abused Planet X Full Monty alloy gravel bike that’s in need of a major overhaul so looking at a new gravel bike instead.

Anyone own a Holdsworth Mystique – thoughts?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLMYSFOR1/holdsworth-mystique-sram-force-1-gravel-bike

Spec-wise I know the wheels are cheap, but I’m thinking Hunt carbons.

RichBowman

I’ve had one. Two actually…

Mystique 1

Mystique 2

First one was (obviously replaced) with the second frame. Had some paint fall off the chain stay on that one (Sent it back, PX weren’t interested).

Second frame then started cracking around the BB just like the first (only sooner…) – was actually worse than the picture there as that was ‘early’ on – probably had about 3-400 miles on that frame when it went back.

In fairness – Planet X were pretty good both times with the cracked BB shell. Oddly was told that they weren’t getting any more in stock, so ended up refunding me the frame price (though not what the frame is going for now). Was a bit surprised to see new ones for sale.

I actually really liked the bike – pretty responsive, loads of tyre clearance for 700 and 650, threaded BB (lol…), cable routing wasn’t horrific. If I’d been offered a replacement frame the second time, I might have considered it, but had decided on a Ribble CGR SL by the time they’d worked out what they were going to do.

Any questions – just ask. I’ve plenty of experience building up the frames 🙂

Rich

intheborders
    Free Member

Oh…

A pal has just bought a Free Ranger but I just liked the look of the Holdsworth plus the XL geometry with the taller front end suits me.

My Monty was bought as a cheap dip into drop bars and I’ve bikepacked it plus lots and lots of off-road (and even gravel) as I live in the Scottish Borders and I’ve loads of options.

I had looked at the Ribble CGR SL too, but it’ll be autumn before they’re delivered.

Also thought of going steel to complement my Cotic FS, looking at the Brother Cycles Mehteh.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RichBowman

Blimey – I ordered the CGR in Mid-November with a delivery date of early Jan – actually arrive a couple of weeks later (end of Nov) which was a pleasant surprise, so might not be quite so bad (unless they’ve told you Autumn directly). the CGR AL has almost identical geo as the (L) Holdsworth – though looks like they’re saying August as well.

I’d hope that the Mystique was an isolated incident as it seems they’ve sold quite a fair few of them. I’d doubt that they’d get another batch in if they’re having to replace frame after frame. I’m knocking around 95kg, so maybe that’s a factor. The frame felt pretty burly, though (take 1.3kg or whatever they’re claiming with a pinch of salt…).

All the best,

Rich

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Holdsworth Mystique’ is closed to new replies.