Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • HMS Prince Philip
  • Harry_the_Spider

Just what we need at a time when we can’t afford to feed the poor.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/hms-prince-philip-boris-johnson-b1840885.html

Let’s hope that they don’t allow Carrie Antoinette to choose the decor.

ElShalimo

Let’s hope the plan gets torpedoed

RustySpanner

It’s worse than that.

We can afford to feed the poor.
    Those on here who have voted Tory are amongst those who have chosen not to do so.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

If you are naming boats after royals, it should be horsey mchorseface.

chrismac

Not another floating gin palace we don’t need. Surely the next destroyer would be more appropriate given his service in the war

footflaps

It’s worse than that.

We can afford to feed the poor.
    Those on here who have voted Tory are amongst those who have chosen not to do so.

Yep, the poor starving is 100% a political choice, just as we temporarily ended rough sleeping during the pandemic, we could easily afford to end poverty in the UK.

moonsaballoon

Announced to be built in glasgow a few weeks before indy ref 2 .

jamiemcf

Well we’re £350 million a week better off now we’re out of Europe so I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Hmmmm

crazy-legs

Excellent, some more flagshaggery to sail around the globe “promoting Britain’s interests”.

Can just see it now, tied up in some harbour hosting a trade delegation:

Delegate: “we are looking to invest heavily in a country with excellent links to the European Union, tell us about your relationship with the EU”.

Minister: “err…”

matt_outandabout

That was my reaction too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If you are naming boats after royals, it should be horsey mchorseface.

The whole point of naming things in honour of people is that you know who they’re honouring. A generic royal description like that is too vague.

Klunk
    Free Member

HMS footinmouth ?

TheWrongTrousers

This story is such a load of poop, the Navy don’t name their ships after people, they name them after previous ships. HMS Prince of Wales is named after the last HMS Prince of Wales, nothing at all do with Prince Charles, for example.

Saccades
    Free Member

HMS Hood disproves your point.

TheWrongTrousers

HMS Hood disproves your point.

Ok then, prefix my post with “In modern times”

imnotverygood

Ok then, prefix my post with “In modern times

Hmmm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Duncan_(D37)

TheWrongTrousers

Hmmm
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Duncan_(D37)

The current HMS Duncan is the seventh ship to carry the name. The first was named after Admiral Duncan in 1804.

You make an interesting point though, the tradition is for the Navy to re-use ships names nowadays and in some cases the first was named after someone. Much like HMS Queen Elizabeth, originally named after Elizabeth the 1st.

There was an HMS Duke of Edinburgh, maybe that’s what we’ll end up with ….

Kuco

A complete waste of £200 million. If the royals really want a royal yacht they should pay for it themselves.

Harry_the_Spider

If the royals really want a royal yacht they should pay for it themselves.

I suspect that they want nothing to do with it.

Kuco

Maybe they should speak up and say so if they don’t want one.

kimbers

This story seems to come round every few years, £200m will be the inrush cost, inevitably its cost a lot more

Itll never happen, just a bit of electioneering by the Tories (tho I suspect Johnson would love to have somewhere to host some bunga bunga parties for donors)

finbar
    Free Member

Yacht? Missed opportunity. It should be nothing less than an aircraft carrier with a brace of spitfires on the deck and a figurehead shaped like Vera Lynn. Hurrah! Jam sandwiches for everyone!

Northwind

moonsaballoon

And then reduced from 1 ship to .3 of a ship a few weeks later (rounding down). But Boris Johnson says Scotland will get an order for 3 rowing boats and that 3 is more than 1 so they should be grateful.

Rich_s

£200 million my arse. Abramovich’s yacht was apparently circa £1 billion. And I bet it doesn’t have space for a compliment of marines. HMY Brittania was different – classy – classic – unique construction, etc. If this does happen, and it won’t, it’ll be nailed together in Germany or Korea and shipped to Glasgow for assembly to keep the locals pacified.

Jingoistic bollocks.

BillMC

Yep, plus Philip Green’s yachts, they’re just symbols saying ‘I am the embodiment of inequality and you know your place.’ That’s Johnson’s mentality seeing fit to spaff out on ‘king big boats whilst offering the nurses half a roll of wallpaper. People are infantilised by all this sucking up and punching down, all to be celebrated by flags, ensigns, obsequiousness, medals, bangs, and we pay for the lot whilst kids go hungry and people sleep on the streets.

chrismac

. If the royals really want a royal yacht they should pay for it themselves.

That wont happen as they only have our money to spend. The so called personal wealth has been stolen from uk citizens over the centuries

tthew

I reckon just a populist suggestion to deflect from his current sleaze woes. Not that I think it’ll be very popular, in fact quite the opposite.

cookeaa

Surely the point here is that capitalism will save us all (and Boris knows this).

And if the sweaty masses really want a floating Gin palace named after a man that married into royalty and lived in luxury to an exceptionally old age, the markets will source the Labour, build the boat and charge blue-rinsers to ride around the Med in it…

We live in the age of millennial, gig-economy, subsistence slaves and “interns” all looking for opportunities to build their world experience and add to the resume till their YouTube channels take off… I’m sure they could be put to work assembling a new cruise ship, and at the end it scores them points towards their DOE gold badge or whatever.

Cunard will happily take over stewardship and call it the ‘Grandad Phil’ or whatever name the (by then) King William approves…

The point is we don’t need to fund BAE to build “HMS should he still be driving?”. If they want a flag waving boat the chumocracy can probably grift the the thing into existence without skimming the public’s already depleted resources…

I suspect the queen is better aware than our great PM of how this plays, and will slap the idea down when next they talk.

darthpunk
    Free Member

Surely this is just an attempt by the buffoon to get back into the queens good graces after the whole Proroguing parliament fandango.

dannyh
    Free Member

Surely this is just an attempt by the buffoon to get back into the queens good graces after the whole Proroguing parliament fandango.

And hopefully Liz is clued up enough to see that the whole think is ickier and tackier* than Carrie Antionette’s taste in wallpaper.

*And the sofa. Both the current patterned one and the one he shagged Arcuri on when his missus and kids were out.

dannyh
    Free Member

Let’s hope the plan gets torpedoed

By ‘Ze Germans’?

Or as the royals call them ‘the old country’.

dyna-ti

Proposed cost £200 million.
    Actual cost, after 3 years of delays, £600 million.

Why do the public keep falling for this 😕

Klunk
    Free Member

SS Queen Mary is coming up for Auction…. only needs $200 million in repairs just not to sink.

dannyh
    Free Member

Why do the public keep falling for this

Three reasons for three types of person:

1) Really nasty people who only view ‘our’ lurch to the right as a stepping stone to sorting out the ethnics/gays/pinkos/liberals etc.

2) People who were swept along by a bit of nationalist, jingoistic bullshit, who now realise their mistake but are too embarrassed to admit it. Even to themselves.

3) Genuine morons.

That’s about it, I’m afraid. The frightening thing is how many people are in one of these three groups.

dissonance

Actual cost, after 3 years of delays, £600 million

Repairs when they find it doesnt work in warm water like the Type 45 + £200 million

kimbers

My BIL was on the Bruce crew of a brand new T45, initially it couldn’t even get past the IOW (let alone make it somewhere with warm water (BAE forgot to drill out the capillaries that lube the main drive shaft IIRC cost millions to repair)

dyna-ti

When my dad was principle engineer for BAE systems he told me of a few flaws in our fleet. Some of them are ridiculously stupid, like the aircraft lift.
    The lift has bolts that are hydraulically operated so when the lift is at deck level, the bolts move out into sockets just under the deck.
    Should one fail, which locks the lift into place, there is no access for it. No way you can get to the area to withdraw it manually. Locked in place the carrier cant bring aircraft up from the hanger. It has to return to dry dock for repair.
    Apparently placement for the hydraulic mechanism to raise the lift so badly placed that rapid deployment was near impossible.
    He said, the US design of it on the outside was the way to go, but the navy disagrees.
    Machinery, as in turbines etc placed over fixings for other machinery that nobody can get to should something fail.

A recent multi billion contract where they used aircraft formula instead of shipping formula. Dad was seriously worried about a certain type of ship breaking up mid Atlantic. And when the principle engineer is aghast, and upper management not happy about a report on it being filed, you know we’re all fked.

dannyh
    Free Member

Machinery, as in turbines etc placed over fixings for other machinery that nobody can get to should something fail.

Cue arse-covering all the way to the top as ‘Engineer Bloggs’ gets the blame for not being able fix it in five seconds flat…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

(a) “used to promote British businesses overseas by mooring near international trade fairs”

UK no longer allowed to actually attend the trade fairs?

(b) BAe? 200 mill?

HAR HAR HAR HO HO HEE HEE.

etc.

(c) ““The Prime Minister has an exciting vision for shipbuilding in this country and is committed to making the UK a shipbuilding superpower,” they said.”

Has he balls.

dannyh
    Free Member

(c) ““The Prime Minister has an exciting vision for shipbuilding in this country and is committed to making the UK a shipbuilding superpower,” they said.”

I’ve got an ‘exciting vision’ of him being chased down Whitehall by an angry mob before some lamppost action, but that ain’t gonna happen either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘HMS Prince Philip’ is closed to new replies.