Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • hmmm suitable cassette for hope proII?
  • walla24
    Free Member

yeah so i was just strolling the forums and heard someone say that not all cassettes were suitable for use on a proII hub….im running an xt cassette on mine…is that ok?

pinches
    Free Member

aslong as it's got an alloy spider on the inside of it, it should be fine

clubber
    Free Member

As above. Xt is fine.

PJ266
    Free Member

Not had any problems running a standard casette for two years now.

walla24
    Free Member

phew thats good then 😀
    ta

Tiboy

I disagree, it depends how strong you are, I've got an XT on my proII hub and have managed to mangle it with the smaller sprockets, now it might be that I'm uber strong, or that I'm overweight, but 14stone ain't that bad. Either way I'd recommend a steel freehub and the use deore rather than waste money on XT and get the hub magled anyway.

walla24
    Free Member

yeah im pretty heavy and put the power down fairly hard so to speak, been oticing some suspicious creaking in drivetrain…. serviced bb, tightened chainring, gears are alligned etc so maybe thats the problem?

i take it when i reomve the cassette it will be obvious whats going on?

walla24
    Free Member

ah balls just removed the cassette, looks like mice have been in and nibbled at the freehub,

so i need to replace it with an alloy spider?
    recommend me a cassette please!

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

It doesnt really matter thats its chewed up a bit, just put another one on. It wont get much worse.

I use an SLX, use to use an XT, the SLX has 2 less rings on a spider as the XT but i can still remove it just as easily.

Northwind

Hey, take down your wanted ad, SLX is actually worse than XT! I don't know of any cassettes that are all on alloy spiders off the top of my head, XT is one of the better options for an alloy carrier.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Sorry i should have said more clearly.

The difference between an SLX and XT Cassette is that the SLK has the 3 largest cogs on a spider where the XT has the 5 largest cogs on a spider, so the XT is better but i was trying to get across that it doesnt matter.

Theres not really much difference, at the end of the day there is no cassette that will not mark a alloy freehub but it doesnt really matter. The freehub gets marked? so what? my freehub has had about 5 different cassettes on and its still going strong its just makes it a bit harder to remove the cassette. I wouldnt get to worried about it, if you think its causing a creak then put some grease on when you reinstall it.

walla24
    Free Member

😳 cheers northwind
    so other than swapping out the freehub to steel there is nothing to be done?

pinches
    Free Member

well of course there is!

i doubt its marked terribly, aslong as you use a cassette with an alloy spider on the back that's the best you can do, you won't get a FULL cassette that uses a spider until you buy an XTR/Dura-Ace, even then only the top 6 are on a carrier.

put a cassette on, go ride!

walla24
    Free Member

good advice….. out the door 😀

Northwind

FWIW I'm running XT on the alloy hub on my Traversees, it's occasionally a pain as the small cogs can stick and need some persuasion off but it's not really an issue. I may build the digs back up with chemical metal at some point, I may not, not sure.

brakes
    Free Member

It's happened to my ProII hub which is about 3 years old now with an XT cassette
    I've just tidied up the splines on the freehub with a file or a knife a couple of times

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘hmmm suitable cassette for hope proII?’ is closed to new replies.