Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hmmm, 330mm of Silky…….
  • somafunk

……Zubat pruning/tree looping saw.

I needed something to clear my local trails from trees and suchlike as they’re in a helluva mess wi windblown and uprooted trees all over the place and at all angles to each other, the landowner will not allow me to clear the trails with my chainsaw so i guess i’ll have to use this, and work up an old fashioned sweat, tiz a shame as a decent weekends work wi the chainsaw and i could have all the trees cleared and the dead ones chopped down so it won’t happen again the next time we get a gale but hey-ho.

He should get his groundsman to keep the trails clear but the landowners plan is to keep the trails overgrown and leave the trees lying around to discourage folk from using them but i say f-off to that idea – the work starts t’morn 😀 , taking my felling axe as well so there may be a few cries of “timberrrrrrrrr” echoing along the solway coast. Quite looking forward to it actually, it’s been a few years since i managed to get a good flow on the trails and paths.

Edric64
    Free Member

Are these trails just ones you are allowed to use or public rights of way? If they are public they are supposed to be kept clear

somafunk

This is in scotland, the landowner is a “sir” or likes to think he is, in fact he actually is but a title does not bequeath the honour of Sir on anyone in my book – that, you have to earn and as he’s an absolute tool of a person that will be impossible, his wife is just as bad as she likes to be called “Lady” Hope-Dunbar but gets annoyed when i refer to her by her first name (she comes in to my other place of work). The trails are old and follow a small peninsula of land nr to the town and have been used for years n’ years n’ years n’ years right back to the 17th century (and well before) when john paul jones (of american naval fame) was frogmarched along the paths and thrown into our Tolbooth for flogging one of his crew to death. The landowner is of the old boys or a “fnarr-fnarr”, the local elected officials all kow-tow and doff their cap to him so it’s pointless even raising the issue.

A touch of guerrilla pruning is in order……. 😛

itstig

Careful now silky bites are savage!

Edric64
    Free Member

Sounds like a right prat ,prune away then !!

scaredypants

I wonder how much to hire a cordless electric one – and if they’re quiet enough

mickolas
    Free Member

my boss has a public footpath run on the edge of his garden. he spends hours of his own time trmming hedges, mowing etc specifically to keep it clear. comes home one day to find a council worker (first one ever and he’s lived there all his life) cutting the grass, which was only 3-4 inches anyway. in winter. because someone had complained that it was hazardous (it wasn’t) they decided it ought to be turned into a mud slide instead.

anyway; my original point was going to be that when his ride on mower got nicked, the police actually advised him to encourage the path to become overgrown.

cinnamon_girl

Why not meet him halfway? Rather than possibly ‘sanitising’ just leave it to look untidy? Obviously ensuring that people have right of passage but not make it too easy?

somafunk

Errrr….., you probably think “Trail? – must be like a sort of walking trail” used by many people etc – it’s used by very few folk, perhaps a couple of folk per day at the very most and i know all of them by name (very small rural town syndrome), and certainly none in the past 6 months due to the umpteen deadfall trees blocking the way…….. there is more folk in 1 square mile of the city of london than is in the entire 2380 square miles of dumfries and galloway so that’ll give you an idea of quite how sparsely populated (country bumpkins?) we are, it’s a very bad analogy but if this path was so called “trail centre” stuff then it’d be graded Black at the very least, and as for “sanitising”?, i think you may have the wrong idea. I just want to clear all the deadfall across the trail so i don’t have to stop every 100 yards to clamber over/under a tree, it needs cleared so the few of us that do use it can continue to use it before the undergrowth/briars etc gets a chance to encroach upon the path and then we’ll lose it forever.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hmmm, 330mm of Silky…….’ is closed to new replies.