Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Hmm. E-MTBs: I think I may have ridden the future, and an apology to Mark
  • amedias
    Free Member

I think you missed the point. E bike on the SDW absolutely fine by me. Totally legal and capped* at 15mph with pedal assist so it is in keeping with the wakers, the runners and those horses you mentioned. That thing you posted has a limited max speed of 37mph. It would be illegal to use on the SDW and would be totally inappropriate to be going at those speeds mixed with other users. I’m all for E bikes and E MTBs, but that thing is not one, it’s a different class again.

Hmmm, what’s the top speed of a Horse? is it appropriate to have a (legal) horse cantering along at Xmph on the SDW mixed with other users, especially when a horse *can* be harder to bring to a controlled stop and is a LOT heavier…of course not, but then we don’t use the top speed of a horse and worse case scenario behaviour arguments to ban them do we, we expect people to ride sensibly, tackle the behaviour not the vehicle.

Once again it’s not about what you *could* do it’s about what you should and shouldn’t do. I’d have just as much issue with a non e-bike or horse barelling along at 30+ mph when there are gaggles of walkers nearby as I would that Bultaco.

In the same vein I’d have no issue with that Bultaco being ridden at a lazy 7mph tootling along all day, even though It’s illegal based on the rules, and I do understand the need for the distinctions and classifications in law.

I can see both sides of the argument but the issue isn’t so much the capabilities of the devices, it’s the sensibilities of the user, and people can be dicks on normal bikes and horses too, fortunately most of them aren’t.

As you say though convert, there’s enough grey areas and misinformation/misunderstanding from the general public and riders alike about what isn’t and isn’t allowed, even when behaving yourself 😉

If there is a genuine problem with the people** riding eBikes also riding in an inappropriate or dangerous manner then that does need addressing, but it’s perfectly possible to ride an eBike sensibly and at less than max speed, more about the rider than the bike.

*Even then on the legal eBikes the assistance cap of 15mph doens’t stop it going faster under your own power, just like a normal bike…

**I don’t really think there is, most of the people I’ve come across on eBikes are as courteous and sensible as they would be on a normal bike, and most of the people I’ve come across riding inappropriately on them are the kind of people who are also arseholes on a normal bike.

convert

Well, clearly you are not quite a reader as I thought you once were. ^^ is an expalination post about my post about the Bronco. I did a bit of research see, so whilst I may sit in the ignorance seats at the back.. it ain’t for long.. so shuv over in your high tower of huge bableness.

You’re struggling this morning 😉

Of course I read what about the research you did. Did you spot my use of the word ‘were’ in relation to your ignorance? But it took someone saying no to your assumption to make you bother doing it. You are not on the ignorant step now, but you were an hour ago despite being ‘an avid reader’ who ‘knew all the arguments’. 😉

Please don’t read it as having a pop at you though. Just using you as an example of someone involved in a debate about the things and with a clear position on their validity without full possession of the facts. Plenty of others in the same situation who are ardent nay sayers who don’t really know what they are talking about either.

I’m glad you are inclusive towards them though – I wish more were.

nedrapier

but it’s perfectly possible to ride an eBike sensibly and at less than max speed, more about the rider than the bike.

Perfectly possible to ride this Bultaco sensibly and at less than max speed too.

stevextc
    Free Member

Honestly the amount of people who have never ridden and bike and/or motorbike spouting complete drivel.

I don’t own one but at least I’ve tried….

The difference is quite easy to tell, just ride a proper bike, then a e-bike then a motor bike. Obviously motorbiking can be strenuous in itself but the bike feels like a bike… not at all like a motor bike.

After that is completely up to the individual how they use that.. you can switch to turbo on every slight incline or flat or not…

Of interest to me is the fact this will allow me to keep up with my son as he and I get both older but that doesn’t mean when I finally do crack I’ll just let the bike do all the work but realistically when I’m mid 60’s and he’s 18-21 (supposing he continues the way he does) no amount of training is going to let me ride with him.

If you take that image I suppose I could keep up with him on a motorbike….
    But which of those will keep me fittest and which will be most like riding a (non assisted) bike????

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

They sound great to me, but as someone who basically assembles bikes out a mix of ebay and sale stuff, it’s a part of the MTB market I feel I’m priced out of (even more so now i have a young baby)

Presumably buying 2nd hand has more issues too. I’m happy fixing most stuff on bikes, but repairing motors, electronics or refurbishing batteries is probably beyond me.

At what point does it become worthwhile getting an e-bike? 1k? 2k? 3k?

I guess the 1k stuff is poverty spec and more compromised downhill??

bikebouy
    Free Member

convert – Member
    Of course I read what about the research you did. Did you spot my use of the word ‘were’ in relation to your ignorance? But it took someone saying no to your assumption to make you bother doing it. You are not on the ignorant step now, but you were an hour ago despite being ‘an avid reader’ who ‘knew all the arguments’.

Please don’t read it as having a pop at you though.

Oh, you are right. I was ignorant at the status of the Bronco. See, I don’t see why I should be that worried. All my mate said was ” I bought this e-trials bike, have a go its blooming ace, Nahhh.. just ride with the club on them…” Then sent me a pic.. It has peddles, and I thought ‘niiiiice’ then looked on the Bultaco website and watched the vids.. thought “yeah” I like that.

It’s OK to have a pop at me, I feel honoured you bothered to bring it, and me, up in one of your posts. 😀

And, I looked at one of these last week.. not in this immaculate condition £1750.

You won’t believe how close I was to buying it. SDW at night? No one will ever know I’ve been up there..

And stands back….

nedrapier

E trials bike

Edit: That was meant for google! I wouldn’t mind one. I’d be quite happy with sticking to byways, helmeted, as necessary. I’ve got a Beta 250 and it’s good for messing around on byways (as well as actual trials). I do feel conflicted about using it though, with the possible impact of noise and fumes on other’s enjoyment of the AONB. An e-trials bike would be great.

BigJohn

We went out for a ride over Cannock chase last night. Not the built trails but the fun stuff near Milford. At first I was faster on the downs, but bugger me, as she got used to it she was going nearly as fast there too. Apparently, the extra weight made it feel much more stable and “planted” compared to her lightweight bike.
    Best £2000 spend evva!

tjagain

alpin – Member

I’m all for E bikes and E MTBs, but that thing is not one, it’s a different class again

So it is an Ebike or a motorbike? Or a bit of both? A more powerful Ebike?

Meh. [/quote]

It fits none of the classes so is not legal to ride anywhere in the UK bar on private land with the landowners permission. Its not an ebike as its too powerful and too fast – and its not a (leghal) motorbike because it does not meet construction and use regs – like minimotos or motocross bikes

ransos
    Free Member

not at all like a motor bike.

Apart from being a bike with a motor.

burton
    Free Member

I don’t give. A rats arse what you call them I love mine and it’s got me back out riding which is brill for my mental health

Goldigger
    Free Member

Where can I demo an ebike in Hertfordshire?
    I’m colour blind so does that count for being somewhat disabled?

mm93
    Free Member

“I don’t give. A rats arse what you call them I love mine and it’s got me back out riding which is brill for my mental health”

Great reply, couldn’t agree more!

tomhoward

Apart from being a bike with a motor.

My, and a good proportion of the pro peloton’s, road bike has 2 motors, is that a motorbike?

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Hmm. E-MTBs: I think I may have ridden the future, and an apology to Mark’ is closed to new replies.