Hive Active Heating – anyone got it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hive Active Heating – anyone got it?
  • ross980

As above. We don’t have a thermostat in our new house, only TRVs and a crappy mechanical timer on the (new) boiler. We need a proper thermostat as we can’t get the temperature stable. I quite like the idea of been able to control the heating from my phone. The Hive Active Heating option isn’t the cheapest option, but doesn’t seem too badly priced at £200 fitted for a no faff option. Anyone got any first hand experience of this?

Premier Icon luffy105
    Subscriber

No, but their bloody adverts are greeting on my nerves! 🙂

gears_suck

Why do you have a new boiler without a room stat? Building regs require new boilers to fitted with a means to control the temperature. Boiler interlock.

Premier Icon diz
    Subscriber

We had exactly the same set up as the OP. We opted for hive after a british gas offered it during the boiler service. It’s is perfect for our requirements and looks to be saving money on our gas bill since being fitted. I would recommend it.

footflaps

The Hive Active Heating option isn’t the cheapest option, but doesn’t seem too badly priced at £200 fitted for a no faff option.

I hate to say this, but that actually looks reasonable value (for BG). The Heatmiser costs about £120 uninstalled, but doesn’t control the HW and the Hive seems to have better SW (from the video). There must be a catch though as BG are complete rip off merchants. Is there an annual fee / subscription?

peasant

No annual fee/subscription and £99 fitted when an engineer is in your house(if say they were servicing your boiler or you have a breakdown contract) whats not to like 🙂

ross980

Why do you have a new boiler without a room stat? Building regs require new boilers to fitted with a means to control the temperature. Boiler interlock.

We’ve only been in the house a few months. The previous boiler broke about 2 weeks before we exchanged contracts so the vendor stumped up for a brand new one. I guess they spent as little as possible (and who can blame them?).
    Think I’ll get the Hive ordered in the next few days – bloody house is like a sauna today.

gears_suck

We’ve only been in the house a few months. The previous boiler broke about 2 weeks before we exchanged contracts so the vendor stumped up for a brand new one. I guess they spent as little as possible (and who can blame them?).

Whoever installed the new boiler has a legal obligation to complete the benchmark certificate in the manual after commissioning the boiler. Part of the benchmark certificate requires them to confirm that a boiler interlock, system controls (programmer and room stat) are fitted.
    These guidelines/requirements are to help ensure the installation operates as efficiently as possible. Carbon footprint and all that jazz.
    On your post though. Personally, I find it hard to believe that in most domestic situations, the Hive system will generate much savings at all. Unless your family has a completely random schedule, I don’t see the benefit over a programmable timer and room stat
    It’s a money maker for British gas because, as far as I can tell, you can’t purchase Hive without having them install it. They then have all your information and the opportunity to try and milk you for every other service they provide. It’s a win win for them.
    I wouldn’t want their monkeys anywhere near my heating system TBH.

ross980

then have all your information and the opportunity to try and milk you for every other service they provide. It’s a win win for them.

Possibly, but I’ve never bothered in the past and since the boiler has the majority of its guarantee left I won’t bother now. It’s no different from domestic appliances ; buy something from Bosch – register for the 2 year warranty then get junk mail from Domestic and General for the next 5 years. It’s no biggy though, that’s what the bin is for (at least until I join the STW massive and get the stove fitted).

Edit: it’s £160 without fitting.

gears_suck

ross980. Yea,that’s cool. I understand completely. Don’t forget! In order for your warranty to be valid. You have to maintain the correct service intervals.
    There’s no argument that the price is good. It’s not really that much more than traditional controls. @ £160
    And… You get to fiddle with a new gadget to your hearts content. Man heaven. Lol

footflaps

I find it hard to believe that in most domestic situations, the Hive system will generate much savings at all. Unless your family has a completely random schedule, I don’t see the benefit over a programmable timer and room stat

I agree it won’t make much difference. We’ve gone from a timer + thermostate to Heatmiser (v. similar to Hive) and the ability to switch off the heating remotely, eg if I’m going to be late back from work, or in bed and it switches on late at night means we’ll knock a % or 2 off the annual bill, but I doubt enough to buy a round of drinks….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hive Active Heating – anyone got it?’ is closed to new replies.