Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)
  • Hit the North – Provisional start list and course photos.
  • robdob
    Free Member

Please note, now my comment has been removed (pray tell why???).

EDIT: Its come back again!!!! Eh????

From the forum rules.

"In addition to the above guidelines we have a limited number of hard and fast rules that you should familiarise yourself with before posting on any of our forums.
    No Trade or business advertising – except bona fide retailers may respond to genuine enquiries from potential customers"

I hope this rule is enforced.

Harry_the_Spider

We're giving the money away. £6,500+ in the last 2 years.

We actually have done our best to stay away from the forum but we had to make a decision a few weeks ago. Our choices were.

a) Cancel and give a partial refund to the competitiors. – Not an option.
    b) Cancel and cover the losses ourselves. – Not an option as we gave all our money away.
    c) Try and save it. – We did. It worked.

Sorry if you have been offended.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Making snap judgements based on a few photos is easy

Very true, spot on in fact. Which is what I did. Why? Becasue that's all I have to go on. I'll be deadly straight with you – If I was anywhere near you guys there's a very good chance I'd be entered, but those first pics look deathly boring, and I'd be extremely disappointed. Go on, tell me it just looks looks like a good course from those first pics and I'll see if I can keep a straight face.

Mate, if I was involved in the event somehow, I'd be sitting here with my head in my hands in dismay…. It was only my snap judgement that brought some better pics out!
    Maybe I'm looking at things 'through the lens' a bit after spending a day taking pics at AYTE, I dunno.

900ft of climbing sounds pretty good given the course length, so I'd imagine there's some decent descents that would have been a lot more photogenic than motorway underpasses and flat gravel tracks. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Mate, if I was involved in the event somehow, I'd be sitting here with my head in my hands in dismay….

I am.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'd remove those pics if I were you….. Maybe link to a set from last year, or the official snappers pics?

DezB
    Free Member
    robdob
    Free Member

DezB – noted, in more than one respect. 😀

Harry_the_Spider

PeterPoddy – Member
    I'd remove those pics if I were you….. Maybe link to a set from last year, or the official snappers pics?

I'll leave them as they are. Taking them out isn't going to help.

robdob
    Free Member

Sorry if you have been offended.

Not offended, just want to make sure there is a level playing field for everyone.

I'd second the idea of replacing the pictures, it's not the best way to advertise the course, is it?

Hope it all goes well anyway, and hope the weather is good.

Harry_the_Spider

I put the pictures up to show that it was dry and dusty. Wish I hadn't bothered. One of the bits that looks flat is actually so steep that it washed away in the storm before HtN 1 (we had no control over that) and ended up being deposited on one of the other bit that looks flat.

If we were spending the money on sniffing coke out of the bum cracks of members of Atomic Kitten it would be a different issue. As it is we'll probably be giving whatever we make away to a cancer charity and a contribution to saving a local listed building.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I am looking forward to this very much. Hopefully I shall have time to fit some gears to my "race" bike before Friday however.

The course a couple of years ago was murderous in the mud, it'll be a lot more fun bone dry and quick. 🙂

Also looking forward to next years inaugural Peter Poddy Festival of Mountain Bicycle and General Awesome, which will undoubtedly be the single best mountain bike race ever staged. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Peter Poddy Festival of Mountain Bicycle and General Awesome

I believe that's in a couple of weeks! Now it has a name! Yay!

rockitman

Andrew, I'm sad to hear this will be the last HTN having done all of the previous events. Having read through the comments above I can see why, what a load of hassle.

If people judge these things on a few photos of a course then I really don't think they get it. It's a race around North Manchester, what are they expecting? Of course there's not going to be a Jacobs Ladder descent, it's a 6 mile loop of the local woods…

It'll be a blast. The craic will be on. I'll enjoy shouting abuse at some passing racer as he doesn't tell me which side he's passing me on, then I'll probably make myself sick trying to keep up with said passing racer for 100 yards just so I can see if he can ride the bombhole. He will probably ride it and I will probably go arse over tit. If he does fall off/bottle it I will get a small sense of satisfaction. Then, at the end of the day I will go home and drink beer having ridden round in circles for 8 hours – 8 hours in which I am not thinking about work, doing the garden, getting the car MOT'd etc. And next weekend I will go and ride down Jacobs Ladder, however I might have a winge about it on here as there will be no one to race down it.

Keep up the good work mate. I'm just grateful that there's a race on my doorstep…

George

Harry_the_Spider

Cheers big fella. I'm fillin' up.

See you in the beer tent.

RustySpanner

Then, at the end of the day I will go home and drink beer having ridden round in circles for 8 hours – 8 hours in which I am not thinking about work, doing the garden, getting the car MOT'd etc.

Nooooo, STAY and drink beer. It's miles better. 😀

bennyboy
    Free Member

Andrew, I'm sad to hear this will be the last HTN having done all of the previous events. Having read through the comments above I can see why, what a load of hassle.

If people judge these things on a few photos of a course then I really don't think they get it. It's a race around North Manchester, what are they expecting? Of course there's not going to be a Jacobs Ladder descent, it's a 6 mile loop of the local woods…

It'll be a blast. The craic will be on. I'll enjoy shouting abuse at some passing racer as he doesn't tell me which side he's passing me on, then I'll probably make myself sick trying to keep up with said passing racer for 100 yards just so I can see if he can ride the bombhole. He will probably ride it and I will probably go arse over ****. If he does fall off/bottle it I will get a small sense of satisfaction. Then, at the end of the day I will go home and drink beer having ridden round in circles for 8 hours – 8 hours in which I am not thinking about work, doing the garden, getting the car MOT'd etc. And next weekend I will go and ride down Jacobs Ladder, however I might have a winge about it on here as there will be no one to race down it.

Keep up the good work mate. I'm just grateful that there's a race on my doorstep…

I second this statement 100% have done HTN before as have many of my club and all loved it, it will be a sad day a well organised event which gives you a chance to hassle cyclocross riders on the DH and get passed by them running ends!!!!

Stop moaning about the course and enjoy riding what ever the trails are you ride!!!

terrahawk
    Free Member

remember folks, if you keep buying us beer in the tent after the race, you've more chance of persuading us to organise another one 😉

(unless this one turns out to be a bit sh1t, obviously!)

Harry_the_Spider

terrahawk – Member
    remember folks, if you keep buying us beer in the tent after the race, you've more chance of persuading us to organise another one

Can you break this news to my wife?

terrahawk
    Free Member

bring her down on Saturday and we'll get her p1ssed (then tell her).

rockitman

Would love to stay and drink beer, but have 2 problems:

1. I'm driving
    2. We're having some friends over for dinner… 7pm + finish lap + load car = 8pm… Half an hour home to Mossley and unload… I'll tell them I'll be home for 9, that will leave time for a quick pint with you boys.

Or… Finish riding at half 6, abandon car, have several pints and ride home… turn up at 9, pished…

Hmmmmmmm

RustySpanner

3. Ask your friends & partner to meet you in the beer tent?

Very good Indian restaurant just up the road as well.

Hang on, do you think that Faorts of India would deliver to a field? Could be a plan….

nbt

Am trying to persuade my local bike shop to enter: they do have a race team and with the current entry list there's a very good chance of a podium place. Bit short notice though, apparently 🙁

nbt

Rusty Spanner – Member

Very good Indian restaurant just up the road as well.

Are you there on Friday night? Can you bring a menu so we can order please? Might be worth popping in with a map on Tuursday night and telling them to expect a couple of phone calls over the weekend 😀

I can't see what all the fuss is about.
    When I looked at those photos, my only criticism was that it's going to be a bit noisy that near the motorway.
    Looks like a good mix of bits that are fun to ride and bits where it's possible to overtake. You can't have it both ways all the way round.

rockitman

Rusty Spanner – Very nice use of the word "partner". Did the thought process go something like this:

"Hmmmm, STW board member, probably straight, but, never actually mentions a girlfriend… best opt for partner"? 🙂

Myself and my mate Ron did the first HTN – the 12hr one. So we could keep out of the rain / get changed we'd erected a tent. Our partners turned up an hour before the race ended to help pack away. By the time the race ended they were that pished that Ron's missus was opening the door to the tent whilst he was getting changed, telling everyone to look at him, so we sent them back to the beer tent and packed everything away ourselves. She made him get McD's on the way home & then she was sick everywhere in the car.

It would just be easier all round if I go with option 1 or 2 🙂

ps it is girlfriend, in case you were wondering!

RustySpanner

Rockitman, I always use 'partner'. I work in Hebden Bridge, it's the safest option. 😀

terrahawk
    Free Member

George, I do hope your gf is coming to the after-race event party next weekend 😉

Harry_the_Spider

I've just test fired one of the generators. It made me feel like a man.

We've got all the stuff now. I just want to get on with it!

More flat bits.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Shoulder is getting better, gonna pin a number on, not sure if im gonna drive or get the train from Mossley there and back so i can have a beer or 8……… either way im there. cant wait.

Harry_the_Spider

Drive. Bring a tent.

terrahawk
    Free Member

keep the good news coming….I could get used to this.

rockitman

Good news… Dinner party moved to Sunday afternoon. Result.

Why do you want my gf to attend Terrahawk? Have you seen the pictures online? 😉

Right. Will talk to her tonight about attending. I might join Manchester Trev in getting the train in from Mossley and then see if she'll pick me up… Given that she's organising 14 graduation ceremonies this week at Salford Uni and working 16 hour days I might get told to f off, however she may fancy a beer. However that would mean I have to drive…

terrahawk
    Free Member

Why do you want my gf to attend Terrahawk?

just cos she sounds like a lorra lorra fun

terrahawk
    Free Member

more good news – just spoke to the guy who will be bringing a van load of technology to that we can time everyone and I now have the distinct impression that HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.

Yay!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Looks like PeterPoddy (ProperNoddy) has fell off his toadstool.

The last set of pictures is much more typical of the HtN course.

Now where's me carb's…..

A Samedi tout le monde!

hora
    Free Member

Looks good. Im away for this but heres to a great race etc :mrgreen:

nbt

To be fair to Peter, the original photos don't do the course justice: for those of us who know the course, we know about the good bits, and we know that the photos show a lovely dry dusty course rather than the gloop-fest of HTN1. Not everyone is a great photographer, and not everyone can be bothered to stop on the good bits to take photos

That second batch of photos are far better. Shows why a CX bike might be a good idea too, with that carrying 🙂 and why it might not be a good idea, with the subsequent drop 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Not everyone is a great photographer

Cheeky bleeder.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Poddy is a great photographer as well as an expert course designer, so he would not have had this problem and therefore would not have exposed himself to criticism in the way that you have. 🙂

D0NK

bet it don't look that good at weekend, spot of rain forecast, hopefully heavens won't open properly until sunday.

Gutted to be missing this, would have loved to join you all.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Hit the North – Provisional start list and course photos.’ is closed to new replies.