Hit the North is dead.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Hit the North is dead.
  • Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

Ali has just pointed out she will always be reigning champion now

That stream is now called 'Ali's Dip' (I just made that up).

Organising stuff sure does take a lot of time and effort, so massive respect to you guys for sticking at it over the past few years.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

Thanks very much gents, that was a great event. Really glad it came off so well for you. While it's a shame there won't be another one, you can be very proud of it. πŸ™‚

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the grit. Or something.

I managed to take part in (deffo never "racing") all four.

Go on. Do another. You know you want to.

πŸ˜€

Well…I've been on this earth for 41 years me I have. I've been up the World Trade Centre (RIP) driven the Big Sur, done an apprenticeship, lived and worked in France, married a beautiful woman and yet yesterday (HTN 2.0 17/07/2010) had gravitas and atmosphere and loveliness that COULD bring a tear to my eye.

Thank you so much to Harry the Spider (Andrew) and Terrahawk (Jason) for a day that I will always remember and cherish (small tear welling). And thanks to the marshalls for their being there in rain/sun/whatever.

It was and will remain an event of great magnitude.

I am sure I am not alone in conveying my thanks for a brilliant, brilliant, fantastic day of Bike Based Bobby Dazzlement!

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

+ 1. Couldn't have stayed up until midnight to pop up a post like that though. I was knackered!

Premier Icon rockitman
    Subscriber

Boys,

If that was it you went out with a bang. Best course, best weather, everything about it was the best thing you've done and I've done all 4 events.

All 15 riders from our club had a blast, here's a few of their comments:

"Brilliant day. Well done to everyone who got involved"
    "Brilliant ! Absolutely ****' brilliant."
    "Had a blast."
    "My first race event and really enjoyed"
    "What a great introduction to racing."
    "Great event, great course, great bunch of people"
    "Have to say didn't think I was gonna enjoy this but for my first race I have to say I really enjoyed it "

Thanks very much for everything you put into it, it really was appreciated.

George

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

George.

You boys should organise the winter race.

We can give you all the details and contacts. If 3 of us can do it you lot will have no problem.

Interested?

Premier Icon twinklydave
    Subscriber

Thankyou for keeping on going long enough for me to do well at one of them πŸ˜‰

You do have a knack for it, I can't imagine the stress and hassle that goes on behind the scenes; cos no-one sees it on race weekend, which shows how good at it you are

…and, as an aside, who's going to organise the Northern version of this now? πŸ™

Premier Icon rockitman
    Subscriber

Definitely interested Andrew.

Will drop you a mail in a bit. Bloody work. Gets in the way of my "active" social life!

nbt

At least two other people (both STW regulars, both raced participated in the event at the weekend) have talked about helping out or even taking over organisational duties for future events. I think we may not have seen the last of this…

Brownbacks

sad news, but our team understand the stress involved. I imagine that at the moment the sense of relief is quite euphoric.

if anyone does take on the "Hit the North" franchise remember to contact us with dates etc, we are also happy to help out in other ways

good luck

(we'll go now as this isn't our thread and it should be about the successful events you put on and the cash raised for charity)

ChrisW

I had an excellent time, this was my first event and will not be my last.
    Thanks to those who put in all the hard work for such a good event. And looking back, the rain wasn't so bad after all.

Subscriber

Cheers.

No regrets from me at all. We went out with a bang.

I can't think of a better way to sign off than pissed up dancing in a smoke filled beer tent with my mates and some caterers dressed as a pirates.

There's plenty of scope to carry on with somebody else at the helm and the winter race has the makings of turning into an annual classic.

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

I got to ride in the back of a 4×4 driven by Derek Starship!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Guys. Hats off to all of you. You've done an absolutely fantastic job. Superbly organised. A great course. And just a fantastic atmosphere. You've done us all proud. Not bad for a couple of northern monkeys eh?

Aad… yes… as NBT pointed out, the idea has been flouted of continueing your good work in some way. Though to be honest, I couldn't run a ****ing bath! πŸ™‚

Subscriber

miketually – Member
    I got to ride in the back of a 4×4 driven by Derek Starship!

We brought the cones back in the Vectra. It just wasn't the same.

Are you handcuffing yourself to the TD-1?

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Brant knows where I live and there's photographic evidence that I got it πŸ™

Great grassroots event which really offered something different than the fairly corporate feeling events that dominate the summer calender. It's a real shame you're calling this a day as you've done all the hard work and established this now. The winter Sprinter had double the numbers this year and had really cemented it's position as a first event of the season for MTBers and Crossers alike.

Saturday was amazing and if you'd run this next year it would have got bigger and bigger and again established itself as one of the main events.

I can understand why you've had enough though and you've had to really push HTN2 to get this to come together, and even some of the sarky comments from members of this forum was unbeleivable! Your commitment is brilliant so thanks for the events I've really enjoyed the 3 out of 4 I managed to attend.

Echo Rockitmans comments that a Manchester based grassroots event needs to continue so maybe others could step up to keep this going – The Winter Sprinter definitely needs to go ahead.

Gilly C

Thank you guys for such fantastic events. I did the first and the last and have never been muddier in my life- 3 washes and vanish to get my top clean!

Great people and atmosphere, It's a shame it's over!

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

Got a reply to my email to Hotlines offering to send a child back instead of the bike. She's not good enough at hoovering and tea-making, so the bike has to go back.

Premier Icon twinklydave
    Subscriber

Got a reply to my email to Hotlines offering to send a child back instead of the bike. She's not good enough at hoovering and tea-making, so the bike has to go back.

Surely she makes a better brew than a bicycle does?

trio25

That stream is now called 'Ali's Dip' (I just made that up).

She took me to see it yesterday!

nbt

ok, pics reposted here

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/2559837210/albums/hit-the-north-2-0

Have a shufty, same deal as before if you want full size stuff. dpereview doesn't seem to do the times though sadly. Fotopic might be active again tomorrow

48 hours+ later and I've finally got my breath back. HTN1 almost killed me, it killed my bike. HTN2 just left me winded and bruised, bike survived and all the team (Toledo Mudhens!) had a fantastic time. Weather was almost amazing, course was a blast and the people are just incredible. Loved the run at the start (!), managed to endo going down the rock descent to the stream and almost crashed every lap on the first muddy descent. Just the right mix of climbs and drops. Would really love to do some of the course again, is it public? Shame that there might be no more HTN but I have a sneaky feeling that there might be. Well done to all the organizers and chapeau to all the competitors.

Subscriber

Glad you liked it.

All of it is public apart from the singletrack sections (between the stream crossings) in and out of the campsite and the campsite itself.

Premier Icon pypdjl
    Subscriber

That was great, many thanks to the organisers!

"That is not dead which can eternal lie"

nbt

Hit the north is dead. Long live hit the north. Huzzah!

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

terrahawk, very kind to offer the ride option, shout me next time you're heading out. shall send my email address to your blog.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Does anyone know Mr & Mrs Midlife crisis (Pete & Jane Squires), who came 3rd in the mixed pairs?

If so, can you please pass on my thanks for their totally uncalled for act of generosity – I didn't have time or energy to thank them properly before they left.
    Cheers folks!

EDIT:
    Terra, I've just read your blog entry. Nice one, this news makes me very happy πŸ˜€
    null

dickie

Yep, I know them, I was with them – I'll let them know.

Hurrah for the good news! My email is in my profile. Let me know if I can do anything to help!

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

yay! hopefully at the feb event AND next summer's… couldn't do this years as I was setting up and marshalling at another event but looking forward to it already – the ones I've done in the past have been ace!!

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

Let's start with Little HTN in the winter and see how things go.
    IMO the economic situation had an effect on the last HTN, as it did a number of events. When the big summer behemoth comes back it will be when people are more willing to spend their money.

All I'm saying is don't plan your holidays around the summer 2011 HTN just yet….

That's great news that your running with this again – I'm looking forward to the winter sprinter already and the summer's not even over yet!

Just a thought – if you want to make the summer event work you need to make this a constant fixture on the event calender. Running it every other year means that you never build up the momentum and critical mass required to make this work.

The summer event is such a great and unique format it would be a real pity to let the emphasis fade away again.

Premier Icon terrahawk
    Subscriber

Like I said, we'll see how it goes.

ton

the shorter events are much better for us fast guy's too…………….. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Hit the North is dead.’ is closed to new replies.