Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Hit and run scumbag – CCTV footage
  • martinhutch

Thankfully no serious injuries, but this is horrifying stuff:

http://news.sky.com/story/1051384/woman-and-toddler-hit-and-run-cctv-released

I do wonder why it takes two months for the police to hit the publicity button and release CCTV footage in a bid to find this driver.

will
    Free Member

😯 Amazing there was no serious injuries!

Legoman
    Free Member

That makes me feel physically sick.

I hope they catch the barsteward.

ska-49
    Free Member

Wow, that’s one road away from me! I didn’t even know that it had happened. Few police signs around that time but that’s all.

I don’t like riding round Cov.

allthepies
    Free Member

I wonder how many black Audi estates with partial reg EN57 ??? there are.

takisawa2

Cant bear to watch that again. Thanks heavens they were ok.

Did you say it was a…

BLACK AUDI ESTATE

PARTIAL REG No EN57

POSSIBLE FRONTAL DAMAGE

HIT & RUN COVENTRY AREA ?

😉

TuckerUK
    Free Member

So the driver had just overtaken on a crossing (zig zag lines)?

Dickyboy

So the driver had just overtaken on a crossing (zig zag lines)

and a driver signalling to turn right at the junction!

watsontony
    Free Member

selfish prick

white101

How much of a hurry do people need to be in to do that?

cookeaa

That’s truly horrible to watch…
    Very glad the victims weren’t seriously hurt.

I’m Quite surprised that the rozzers couldn’t get a number plate from that angle (or indeed any other cameras in the area), what’s the use of having CCTV there if you can’t a reg’ number from a car driven straight through the shot?

Really hope they catch the scumbag…

excitable1
    Free Member

Posted the vid on my FB page.

Some daft prick in a very silly grey Citroen did almost exactly the same maneuver in Wilmslow on Monday whilst I was waiting to go right round a roundabout with a pedestrian crossing point…. no accident but for all they new there could have quite easily been someone walking or cycling in front of my car.

So many ferkin idiots on the road, p1sses me off no end 👿

GrahamS

I do wonder why it takes two months for the police to hit the publicity button and release CCTV footage in a bid to find this driver.

IANAL but I would guess that putting that footage in the public domain may have an effect on how it can be used in court?

40mpg

How much of a hurry do people need to be in to do that?

On the other hand, how much of a hurry was the woman with toddler in to need to cross the road, in the dark, by a junction, between moving vehicles, when there was (I assume due to zigzags) a crossing 50 yards away?

Given the way the audi was driven, it may not have ended differently, but crossing on a crossing ia always a safer bet?

I see this all the time, people ducking between traffic when there’s a crossing just along the road, and I’m afraid I just can’t understand their approach to risk management. But then I throw myself down hills on a bike, so who am I to judge?

ryreed
    Free Member

Disgusting. My tolerance for drivers like this has dropped to about nil since having a child, whether I’m driving a car or a pedestrian/cyclist. Having the privilege of throwing a ton or two of metal around a crowded street is a pretty big responsibility and this is lost on so many drivers that you see day-to-day.

How it can be suggested that this is in any part the fault of the people struck is beyond me. Would I cross there with my daughter? Probably not. But that doesn’t change the fact that this would never of happened if the driver was not a total lunatic. I hope they are caught and jailed.

bruneep

I wonder how many black Audi estates with partial reg EN57 ??? there are.

Police must be able to narrow it down to few cars then start knocking doors?

butcher

I’m intrigued by the human response to do this. I can’t remember if it was on here, someone posted up a video of a guy getting knocked over in similar circumstances (car overtaking on the wrong side of a traffic island, which the guy was crossing).

The whole thing was filmed by the car following. They managed to follow and stop the driver a couple of miles down the road who then pretended to be oblivious to the guy that had bounced off her windscreen moments before.

I’m not sure if these people should be hung drawn and quartered (after at least two years slow and constant torture), or whether we should be obliterated as a species.

matt_outandabout

Horrific. I hope they get the driver.

gonzy
    Free Member

a couple of things:
    what a complete and utter tw@ the driver of the audi is to carry out such a dangerous manoeuvre over zig zag lines that indicate a crossing and drive on the other side of the road to overtake a car indicating at the junction to turn right…i really hope they catch the moron driving…
    i cant believe that the CCTV is of such poor quality that they cannot get the full number plate, only a partial…surely that is not the only camera along that road…can the cameras further along not catch the number plate as it sped away, they know its a black audi so they know what to look for. also doing this might give them an idea on where the driver went or at least which direction they went in…also why not look at cameras leading to the accident site as they may show the number plate as its highly unlikely that the car just appeared out of thin air…
    the article says that the lady who was hit was a driving instructor…therefore she of all people should have had better road sense than most and should have used the pedestrian crossing nearby especially when she had a small child with her in the dark…
    this by no means condones the actions of the driver, but you would have thought she would have shown better judgement and used the crossing…
    on close inspection of the video clip it seems clear to me that the child is holding her right hand, therefore would have been the first to be hit by the car. thankfully modern cars are now better designed that they offer pedestrians more protection in such incidences….
    just glad they’re both ok but as a parent i think this should serve as a lesson learned and that we should be more vigilant when crossing roads…

cookeaa

actually it is Interesting that the police have gotten to the point of releasing the footage Make/Model and Partial plate should allow them to narrow in on the vehicle a fair bit, or at least generate a shortlist of “EN57 —”plate Audi’s from the DVLA, I assume they’ll have eliminated any on the list reported as stolen or SORN.
    And then there’s the nature of the twatty driving, it might indicate a bit of familiarity with the road layout, i.e. the driver knew the roads, and felt confident enough to execute that manoeuvre, suggesting it might be someone a bit more local, meaning the police could have initially focussed their efforts on anyone within say a ~20 mile radius?
    So I guess going through all of that, plus chasing up on other sources of CCTV footage or any other possible witnesses, perhaps widening the vehicle search nationally has taken them ~2months. Seems like the police are now quite short of leads…
    But I’d not certainly expect them to place the footage in the public domain right away as as some of you think they should as was already pointed out the more information/evidence in the public domain the harder it make things for the CPS when a case does get to court, demonstrating that a jury’s objectivity hasn’t been compromised by prior knowledge / reporting of the incident…
    Releasing the footage might jog the memory of someone close to the driver, or indeed seeing the incident replayed and now knowing the Victims weren’t badly injured might even nudge the driver into coming forwards.
    But it feels like a last ditch attempt as solving the crime when all other normal means of detection have failed…

Lifer
    Free Member

I would have crossed there no problem, there was plenty of room.

easygirl

Police must be able to narrow it down to few cars then start knocking doors?

You would not believe how many audis would be thrown up doing a partial,registration search on pnc
    I would guess at several hundred

martinhutch

Does the PNC allow searching for partial plates within a single postcode area? Can’t believe there are that many of that make/model/colour/year in Coventry.

As for possible prejudice of court proceedings, I would have thought that on the other hand, the delay makes it much more likely the criminal will be able to destroy evidence and make repairs, as well as getting the story/alibi sorted, reducing the chances of conviction even more.

Still, their call. I hope they get whoever is responsible.

gonzy
    Free Member

the police also suggested that the impact would have caused a fair bit of damage to the car…if its not hidden away somewhere or burnt to a crisp then someone might have repaired it…
    i agree with all the points cookeaa has made…hopefully in now showing the footage it may encourage someone to come forward with some information, hopefully the individual who may have repaired the car as not doing so would potentially make them an accessory to the crime….
    if only our CSI teams worked like they do on channel 5….

cookeaa

Of course we’ve all assumed the plate was genuine, and that the driver ran due to plain old panic? but then it may have been that the driver and/or the vehicle did not want too much direct attention from the law…

All indications thus far are that we’re not talking about a shining specimen of Humanity…

plyphon
    Free Member

I went to Uni in Cov and one of the first things I noticed within two weeks of living there was how fast, reckless and dangerous drivers were in Coventry city center.

And I’m not just talking young drivers or minorities, literally everyone. What sealed it was seeing a grey haired elderly chap wheelspin off the line at a traffic light pedestrian crossing in a Micra.

Terrible city to drive around.

Actually let me amend that.

Terrible city.

plyphon
    Free Member

Oh and also something I noticed is Coventry is FULL of Audi A4’s, all driven by Indian men and the like.

Not a racial stereotype, just the truth.

brooess
    Free Member

Having the privilege of throwing a ton or two of metal around a crowded street is a pretty big responsibility and this is lost on so many drivers that you see day-to-day.

This is too true.

I’ve been driving since mid 90’s and I don’t remember anyone ever (instructor, tester, police, speed awareness course trainer, government etc) ever pointing out that I have a responsibility to drive the thing so as not to cause harm to anyone…

The message just gets given as ‘you must stick to the rules’ to which a lot of people just react quiet childishly with a ‘sod rules, I’ll do what I like’

It needs to be drilled into us that a car driven badly maims and kills and, just like any other heavy machinery needs to be handled with care…

nikk
    Free Member

This type of thing should be straight on the news that evening.

That is partly the problem, the general public is kept in the dark and spared the images of the horrific consequences in this country in case someone is offended. 10 people a day, day in day out, die on our roads. Ten people. Every day. If it was anything else (drugs, shootings etc), there would be a total uproar, but because it is driving, somehow it is only the mega-motorway pileups that are worth reporting.

And because the public is in the dark, we don’t really think about or deeply appreciate the real life consequences of smashing a car into someone. Yes, this driver was a d!ck who drove very recklessly, then didn’t stop, there but for the grace of god, and all that…

edlong
    Free Member

I’m not just talking young drivers or minorities, literally everyone

Indian men and the like

Care to expand on who “the like” are? Just other people who don’t look and / or sound like you?

EDIT: And how do you know these men in cars are Indian? Have you spoken to them about their lives? Are their cars on Indian plates? Or do you mean, perchance, “men with browner skin than me”?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Scumbags….

eyerideit
    Free Member

Utter ***t, I hope they get who ever it is, crush their car with them inside it or at least ban them for life.

bails

I went to Uni in Cov and one of the first things I noticed within two weeks of living there was how fast, reckless and dangerous drivers were in Coventry city center.

I saw a woman reversing around this roundabout because she’d missed her exit: http://goo.gl/maps/ZoIXL 😯

As for those suggesting it was the pedestrian’s fault…..The driver overtook a car that was about to turn right, way over the speed limit, ploughed into a woman and child before leaving them potentially dying to preserve his NCD/clean licence/freedom….what makes you think he’d have stopped and waved them across at a zebra crossing before doffing his cap and wishing them a good day?!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

nikk – Member
    That is partly the problem, the general public is kept in the dark and spared the images of the horrific consequences in this country in case someone is offended. 10 people a day, day in day out, die on our roads. Ten people. Every day. If it was anything else (drugs, shootings etc), there would be a total uproar, but because it is driving, somehow it is only the mega-motorway pileups that are worth reporting.

Perhaps someone should press the BBC to end the 6pm and 10pm news bulletins with a roll call of the days dead – in the way they did at the BAFTAS – Bill Brown (45), father of three and much loved football coach, Ben Smith (11) son and junior athelete preparing for secondary school, etc, etc.

Do it for a year and see what the results are, combine it with much easier driving offence prosecutions with lifetime bans and jail terms. A car is more dangerous than a shotgun in the wrong hands.

plyphon
    Free Member

Care to expand on who “the like” are? Just other people who don’t look and / or sound like you?

EDIT: And how do you know these men in cars are Indian? Have you spoken to them about their lives? Are their cars on Indian plates? Or do you mean, perchance, “men with browner skin than me”?

“The like” – Indians, Pakistani, Afghan, etc – Yes these are all people who do not look or sound like me – is that an issue?

Congratulations at your failed attempt at making a simple conversation involving race and origin into a conversation about race and origin.

plyphon
    Free Member

I saw a woman reversing around this roundabout because she’d missed her exit: http://goo.gl/maps/ZoIXL

I stayed in the halls just at the top of that hill, and it is a terrible, terrible roundabout. Can’t believe someone tried to reverse around it!!

edlong
    Free Member

As far as I can see this is a conversation about someone (as yet unidentified) driving an Audi into some pedestrians and then buggering off. It didn’t involve race at all until you introduced it. I still fail to see how the pigment of anyone’s skin is remotely relevant to this subject.

GrahamS

To be fair ed, IF someone is a recent arrival from a country with a generally poorer standard of driving and higher road death rate then that may well be relevant and could contribute to the “bad drivers” stereotype that plyphon mentions.

edlong
    Free Member

Graham, I don’t have figures to hand to support this, but I very strongly suspect that a great many (most?) of the brown skinned men driving cars in this country will have been born and brought up in this country.

GrahamS

I’m sure they have.

But let’s say, picking a figure at random from the air, that just 5% are recent arrivals or visitors who are driving on a foreign driving license and may be unfamiliar with UK driving rules and customs.

That 1-in-20 is then a sufficient number to influence a stereotyped view that people from wherever are the worst drivers.

That’s stereotyping – but not in itself racist.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Hit and run scumbag – CCTV footage’ is closed to new replies.