• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • History of Mountain Biking magazine
  • botanybay
    Free Member

Has anyone read it? Ordered it the other day so just waiting for it to arrive.

It’s got JMC on the cover so had to!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bought it but haven’t done more than have a flick through.

If, like me, you are in your forties and enjoy a nostalgia fest you will be happy enough 🙂

Shockingly no mention of me and my mates inventing mountain biking when we put cow horn handlebars and cyclocross tyres on our ten speed racers then went up the woods etc, etc, etc.

wiilt
    Free Member

It’s better than I thought it was going to be, I would recommend it, bit pricey though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daleman
    Free Member

Wife got me this for valentines i am over 40 and know most of the history of MTB, still enjoyed looking back brought back some great memories. Thing that got me was looking at pictures of the pipe line at newnam Plymouth and the bomb holes from Malverns just how hot and sunny it was all the crowd in t’s and shorts, unlike every event i have been to in the last five years standing in the poring rain.

iain1775
    Free Member

Enjoyable but some articles repeat the previous one slightly, obviously been drawn from a variety of other sources and no one has really read them all together when pulling it together
    Still well worth the asking price though

40mpg

Had a quick flick in wh smiths. Had a pic of my old team mate but not me so went back on the sh
    :xelf

botanybay
    Free Member

Sounds good, hopefully it will arrive by the weekend, need something to read on the pot.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I see I made the cover, but my mate more deserving of the honor, Joe Breeze, did not.

Odd.

Northwind

They’re just trying to lure you away from here and over to the Bikeradar forum 🙂

40mpg

I hope you bought a copy then!

I hope you bought him a copy then!

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I hope you bought him a copy then!

Not sold on this side. I only saw a copy because a UK rider sent one to my friend.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

repack rider – just out of interest what role did Marin bikes play in he early mtb scene? Were they linked to the Marin klunker scene?

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

repack rider – just out of interest what role did Marin bikes play in he early mtb scene? Were they linked to the Marin klunker scene?

None, really. Founder Bob Buckley lived a couple of miles from the mountain bike epicenter and was himself an avid cyclist, but his business as I understand it, was importing jewelry made in Asia. By the mid-eighties it was already clear where the US market was headed, and every bike company had an off-road model or twenty.

Using his manufacturing contacts in Taiwan, Buckley had bikes made that were, like every other mountain bike of the era, a knock off of the Ritchey MountainBike. He struck gold by associating the name of his company with the Mecca of the sport, and his staff are themselves local Marin riders all grown up now after thirty years in the business.

In the end, they made some nice bikes, and there is nothing wrong with that.

JoeG
    Free Member

Is this

what you’re talking about? If so, I just ordered one. $17.18 IIRC shipped to the US.

From here.

RepackRider
    Free Member

They used a pretty long article by me. I shouldn’t really have to buy it.

JoeG
    Free Member

It would have been nice if they comp’ed you a copy or two, even if they paid you for the article. 😕

JoeG
    Free Member

Mine arrived today. 😀

I’ve flipped through it, and there is definitely some duplication as some said above. A good example are several photos of someone with a camcorder taped to their helmet billed as the “first helmetcam.” So, keep in mind that it is a collection of articles from various authors and wasn’t written cover to cover by one person.

Looking forward to reading it! 😛

JoeG
    Free Member

I saw them for sale in the US today at Barnes and Noble. In the bikes portion of the magazine rack; $16 or so IIRC.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘History of Mountain Biking magazine’ is closed to new replies.