Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • His Dark Materials final season
  • chainbreaker
    Free Member

I know its been out for a month or so, but haven’t seen any threads on here about it so thought I’d start one.

Just finished it yesterday. Don’t tend to get emotional with TV shows but that ending got me crying like a baby! Even though you know whats coming it doesn’t make it any easier.

Overall thought it was a great series and they dealt with some of the more challenging concepts from the books well, especially with the mulefa and land of the dead.

My only complaint would be they could have easily made 6 seasons from the 3 books, there is so much that they didn’t include and I felt some bits were rushed as they tried to squeeze a book in each series.

I’m hoping they make a book of dust tv series once the final book comes out this year.

DickBarton

I enjoyed it.

IHN

I quite enjoyed the first series, then gave up in the second as the lad playing the one with the time/space knife thing was, well, really bad.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    supernova

Not a bad interpretation of the books, I quite enjoyed it. Mrs Coulter was excellent.

The BBC bottled it on the death of god though.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I thought it started out OK but by season 3 it ended up being like a protracted episode of Dr Who.

mashr

I assume it was god in the big cube (not read the books)? Really odd how quickly they went past that. Basically; “there’s a funny big cube”, “think there’s someone inside”, “oh he’s dead now” never mentioned again

slowoldman

Well I haven’t read the books but even so I felt too much was crammed into the last series. I think I was a bit bored with Lyra and Will towards the end but Ruth Wilson as Mrs. Coulter was magnificently malevolent.

Spin
    Free Member

My only complaint would be they could have easily made 6 seasons from the 3 books, there is so much that they didn’t include and I felt some bits were rushed as they tried to squeeze a book in each series.

This is exactly the temptation that needs to be avoided in adaptations whether TV or film. Keep it snappy so the action cracks along, if you want the indepth stuff that’s what the book is for. If you include all the stuff from the books, TV and film adaptations sink under the weight of it and the only viewers you’ll be left with are the diehard fans.

I’m enjoying it but does anyone else think James McAvoy is miscast?

edhornby

As someone who never read the books I quite enjoyed it – it’s quite sprawling as stories go but I think the Beeb got the balance right in the main (I have to agree that the actor playing will was a bit dull) and yes Ruth Wilson was brilliant. James Macavoy probably suffers from being in so many big roles that you can’t always disconnect him from the other stuff he’s done but I thought he was good in this.

Spin
    Free Member

James Macavoy probably suffers from being in so many big roles that you can’t always disconnect him from the other stuff he’s done but I thought he was good in this.

If you’ve read the books he’s not physically right for Asriel who is a big man with real physical presence and a sense of menace. Daniel Craig who played him in the film was perfect. But if you haven’t read the books that probably doesn’t matter.

IdleJon

There’s a good exhibition of props from the show in the Glyn Vivian gallery in Swansea if you’re in the area. (Not sure it’s worth a long trip to see it!)

tthew

I assume it was god in the big cube (not read the books)? Really odd how quickly they went past that. Basically; “there’s a funny big cube”, “think there’s someone inside”, “oh he’s dead now” never mentioned again

Having not read the books, it was also my assumption, but really weird inclusion. That dissolving body special effect must be expensive to produce, so the directors threw it in anyway.

loum
    Free Member

I thought it started out OK but by season 3 it ended up being like a protracted episode of Dr Who.

Totally agree, although that is also a very good summary of the books.

anagallis_arvensis

I enjoyed it as did my 12 year old son, he has audio booked the books I haven’t…tbh I wouldn’t have watched it if it hadn’t been a family thing but it was decent.

olddog

I really enjoyed 1 and 3 but thought 2 dragged a bit. I’ve read the books (and the sequels) thought the tv series was fine that respect.

Northwind

I did not like Mcavoy as Asriel at all, he’s a great actor but he just lacks presence. It was the same in the x-men films, he always seemed like he’d just sort of wandered onto set. Asriel’s supposed to have physical power and leadership and inspiration emanating from every orifice.

mashr

It’s much like that in the book, too- it’s very incidental, point being that actually killing god wasn’t a big deal and didn’t really change anything. Overthrowing god was the point.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

I did not like Mcavoy as Asriel at all, he’s a great actor but he just lacks presence. It was the same in the x-men films, he always seemed like he’d just sort of wandered onto set. Asriel’s supposed to have physical power and leadership and inspiration emanating from every orifice.

Thought he was decent in 1st series. Then went a bit OTT with the acting in the 3rd series. But yeah, I agree, his portrayal doesn’t line up with the character from the book well.

Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter was a superb casting choice however.

Also thought Will Keen (Lyras dad in real life) was quite good as father Mcphail.

stumpyjon

I thought season 3 was gearing up ok until about half way through when it seemed to lose it’s way and dribble to a close, spoilt the end for me.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

I think the insignificance of that scene was deliberate – the point was that defeating “god” didn’t really change anything in the end after everything that happened in the story.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.