His Dark Materials adaptation on the Beeb

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • His Dark Materials adaptation on the Beeb
  • Markie

The bears voice is wrong.

endomick

I’m not familiar with Pullman’s work apart from the golden compass, but I really enjoyed this series, the best eight parter since Taboo, I don’t understand people not being able to follow it, just pay more attention and read the introduction.
    Apparently the second series is already filmed and in post production, hopefully the second series of Taboo will follow, as its long overdue.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

The bears voice is wrong.

That’s the problem with TV and film adaptations of books – everyone has a picture in their head of how the characters look and sound, what resonates with them personally and what doesn’t. As soon as you take those things and make them into moving pictures, you diverge from those internalised imaginings.

My idea of how a speaking bear should sound might be completely different from yours. And different again from the TV series creator’s. Ditto the look and feel of the characters and the whole world. And with fantasy stuff, it’s even harder because it’s more loosely rooted in any sort of reality.

Anyway, I still don’t understand how armoured bears manage to get into their armour 🙁

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Subscriber

of how the characters look and sound

Probably more that once you are aware of the Ian McKellern version, this one sounds like a child trying to put on a deep voice.

I’ve enjoyed the call forward to the next book with bring Will in early. At least it shows that they are considering the next next book’s content and making a stab at it

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.