Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • His Dark Materials adaptation on the Beeb
  • IHN

Anyone watch it? Any good? I’m kinda tempted, but not sure if it’ll be a bit ‘kiddie’ (a-la Dr Who, without wishing to open that can of worms).

kelvin

Yes. Yes. Try it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone watch it? Any good? I’m kinda tempted, but not sure if it’ll be a bit ‘kiddie’ (a-la Dr Who, without wishing to open that can of worms).

It’s Sunday evening TV, so it’s always going to be a bit “Dr Who”. But with much better production.

I was skeptical but they’ve included enough good bits the film omitted, and re-worked other scenes/characters to be more how I remembered the book to make it worth watching.

IHN

It’s Sunday evening TV, so it’s always going to be a bit “Dr Who”.

Yeah, I thought that, but then there’s a difference (generally) between 6pm Sunday evening telly and 8pm Sunday evening telly, so I thought the DR Who-esque kiddie-ness might be smaller and it might be a bit more ‘grown-up’.

I might give it a go then, if I can persuade her indoors

wonnyj
    Free Member

Very good so far. Sunday night viewing with a bit of bite.

martinhutch

Felt a little patchy – but that’s natural considering just how much information about the world of the novels they had to try to convey quickly.

Was a bit annoyed at the start when they took the shortcut of delivering a load of background exposition in screen text…

On the whole, a lot more promising than the film adaptation, which was ridiculous.

IdleJon

We all sat down to watch it. The 12 year old disappeared about halfway through. The 8 yr old asked if it was real. 😂 All enjoyed enough to watch again next week.

thepurist

I’d agree that it’s got off to a decent enough start – I’d be interested to hear feedback from anyone who’s not read the books – the prelim text probably helped a bit, but there’s a lot of detail to pick up on.

Harry_the_Spider

Looking forward to watching it as a family on Wednesday.

Can’t do 9:00pm TV on a school night as my kids will **** about for an hour afterwards!

weeksy

I’m starting it this week with my lad. I didn’t know it was based upon books, so no, i’ve not read them

martinhutch

The books are well worth a look, particularly the first one (Northern Lights).

fasthaggis

It was always going to be a big ask to cram all the story in to a film,so hope the series does a better job.Last nights started off ok.

Flaperon

I loved the books (probably read them four or five times now) so was apprehensive about this.

Didn’t need to be, very impressed so far. Quite liked the link into the Book of Dust series at the beginning too.

docrobster
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the books. Afraid to say I fell asleep before the end of the programme last night.

DezB
    Free Member

Every time I see this mentioned, “The Golden Compass” gets a slagging! Me and my boy loved the film when it came out! Especially the polar bear fight. Anyway, this is supposed to be so much better than the film, so it has to be good… (I’ve sky+ed, but not watched yet)

martinhutch

Quite liked the link into the Book of Dust series at the beginning too.

That was nice – although I can’t say I enjoyed The Book of Dust all that much!

stevied
    Free Member

Not read the books so watching it on it’s own merits.
    Seems like a good start and we both enjoyed it and looking forward to the next episode.

I don’t normally like TV/film adaptations of books I have enjoyed, but this one seems quite promising.

although I can’t say I enjoyed The Book of Dust all that much!

I’m not sure you’re meant to “enjoy” The Book of Dust. As Pullman says – Lyra has grown up.

kittyr
    Free Member

although I can’t say I enjoyed The Book of Dust all that much!

Did you read Book of Dust 2?

I wasn’t a huge fan of #1 but #2 blew my socks off, so well written, really engaging, quiet dark themes dealt with, bit of a reflection on the modern world. Highly annoyed it basically finished in the middle of the book and I have to wait for #3!

I went back and re-read His Dark Materials trilogy after reading book of dust #2 as I was reminded how fab his writing is.

bazzer
    Free Member

Has anyone read The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ? I thought it was a great concept, but it left me a bit cold.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I wasn’t a huge fan of #1 but #2 blew my socks off, so well written, really engaging, quiet dark themes dealt with, bit of a reflection on the modern world. Highly annoyed it basically finished in the middle of the book and I have to wait for #3!

I went back and re-read His Dark Materials trilogy after reading book of dust #2 as I was reminded how fab his writing is.

Just finished book 2. Not felt the desire to keep reading like that for a long time. Can’t wait for 3 and seeing how it develops.
    Yet to watch the BBC adaptation as i sky+ it.

failedengineer

I’ve read ‘The good man Jesus ……’ I agree with you, I was a bit underwhelmed, but the concept was good. Pullman is a noted Atheist, isn’t he?

PrinceJohn

I’ve read ‘The good man Jesus ……’ I agree with you, I was a bit underwhelmed, but the concept was good. Pullman is a noted Atheist, isn’t he?

He despises organised religion.

I thought last nights first episode was excellent – the only thing that really grated was the very start with

Spoiler:
    the helicoptor. I don’t recall it from the book & it seemed really out of place given the steampunk technology vibe.

Adam Buxton recently did an interview with Philip Pullman that was a good listen.

theotherjonv

I enjoyed it but also wondered about the (spoiler above) but didn’t seem to have the technology for a small boat – I also didn’t get why they had that massive flood CGI bit, but presume it has relevance later?

jobro
    Free Member

Lyra was brought, as a baby, to Jordan college in the time of the great flood. Hence the flood.
    I was struck by the presence of the helicopter as well, but thought if you can accept an arial battle between witches and angels bearing swords, then perhaps me being that critical was a bit pedantic.

bigyan
    Free Member

There are gyrocopters in the Amber Spyglass and La Belle Sauvage.

spacemonkey

I liked last night’s episode but can see it not being everyone’s cup of tea. There’s a lot of scene-setting as the remainder of the series has so much to tell. Some of the scripting and acting is rather wooden.

Read the books about 15 years ago. NL was generally a pretty decent adventure story with religious undertones you could take or leave. TSK went deeper but the pace began to stagnate. TAS was dull, clunky and disengaging.

I think the whole Dark Materials concept is rather marmite. I’ll certainly tune in to the next few episodes though.

FTR I’m a third of the way through La Belle Sauvage on Audible. Bloody good it is. Sheen is a brilliant narrator.

RustySpanner

Yep.

Kermode was very snotty last Friday, stating that ‘certain factions always had it in’ for The Golden Compass.

Well, yeah.
    The whole point of the book was completely ignored, because Hollywood was scared of the American religious lobby.

The trilogy is a perfect counterpoint to CS Lewis’s Christian propaganda.

I’m hoping the BBC has rediscovered it’s balls with this one…..

martinhutch

Did you read Book of Dust 2?

Doh! I meant the first one – Belle Sauvage. Thought it dragged a bit, put me off getting the second one.

llama

Thought that it looked like it could be good

No idea how anyone would follow it without having read it, there is quite a lot going on. In the book you get eased into the world.

Mrs Coulter and monkey look good

The daemons talking is not quite right, there is no sense of it coming from them, but it is still better than the film

I think the Gyptians drink in the Bell in town

Moe

I had no clue on the books, and was only vaguely aware of the film existing (I wondered why the bear was familiar!). I really enjoyed it and looking forward to the rest.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I thought there was a bit of epic miscasting by getting the gruff, hulking bear that is James Cosmo to play the soft spoken and thoughtful Farder Coram whilst simultaneously having the gruff, hulking bear that is John Faa played by a soft spoken and thoughtful actor whose name I cannot remember.

Every scene the two if them were in was ruined for me as they were both playing the wrong parts.

senorj

I thought it was excellent.
    I’ve read all the books several times.
    So it would be fair to say I was excited by this new production. I’m with dez and thought the Golden compass was ace, especially n Kidman as mrs Coulter.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Also, having watched the Attenborough show immediately beforehand featuring the Golden haired, blue faced, snub nosed snow monkeys I found it difficult to get the full sense of malevolent evil from Mrs Coulters daemon.

martinhutch

Yes, it does look a little bit too cute relative to the book description, which portrays it as pretty menacing from the off.

theotherjonv

Lyra was brought, as a baby, to Jordan college in the time of the great flood. Hence the flood.

I get that, but is it just colour or of relevance? While I understand people wanting to be true to the books, the effort to CGI and wet tank the handing over of Lyra for what was about 2 minutes of screen time just seemed like a lot of money for little return.

Not complaining….. I thoroughly enjoyed part one, and have no awareness of the books.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I enjoyed the books but quite a while ago and was struggling to keep on top of the detail in that first episode. However, I found the visuals spot on with my mind’s eye.

The main thing that irritated was the ridiculous amount of preview scenes at the end from next week’s episode.

Spin
    Free Member

If you’ve read and enjoyed the books there are a few bits of miscasting, if you haven’t read the books it probably wouldn’t bother you or detract from your viewing pleasure.

The most obvious one is James Mcavoy as Asriel. I like him and the guy can act but Asriel is described as a big, strong man with a huge physical presence so he’s not right in that regard. I think Mcavoy’s portrayal suffered from trying to play him like in the book when he doesn’t have the physical attributes. For all the film’s failings they got actors that really matched the descriptions of the characters in the book and Daniel Craig was perfect as Asriel.

I thought Lyra herself was the best thing in it.

Spin
    Free Member

Oh and the helicopter thing. They’re definitely in the books. The Oxford of the story is a bit like 1950s Britain but with somethings more advanced and some less and some just different.

naffa
    Free Member

I havent read the books, and have no idea what the series is based on. I’m not into sci fi or fantasy films, but I thought from the adverts that this looked good so I watched it.
    I’ll be honest I havent got a clue what was going on. I really havent.
    Was the girl the prophet? Why are the pets known as Daemons? Who were the people on the canal boats?
    Too much going on for me to get it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘His Dark Materials adaptation on the Beeb’ is closed to new replies.