Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • His dad must be so proud
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22915954

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/apr/20/cameron-family-tax-havens

will he be giving the public back that shadowy £300,000.00 his father evaded for him or is this just a hollow trumpet stating that companies must say “oh we have company X in the Y and Z benefits, it evades tax but its all legal ok.”

mrmoofo

So, legal tax havens … so what is the issue ?

Will you be paying HMRC more than you have to?

It’s the tax laws that are wrong , not minimising tax laibility.

mtbfix

Do as I say, not as I do.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So, legal tax havens … so what is the issue ?

Well if you read the first link you’ll see that it is a huge problem.

In fact apparently, “Tax evasion and avoidance will be discussed at the G8 meeting next week”.

That’s the issue.

mrmoofo

and yes, it has to be sorted . Esp at the corporate level. The current situation is just nonsense.

But Amazon, Google etc really do need to pay tax on money earned here

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well that’s the point, it’s not common practice. It’s a practice which mostly benefits the privileged few.
    As Leona Helmsley once famously summed it up, “We don’t pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.”

fr0sty125
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Well that’s the point, it’s not common practice. It’s a practice which mostly benefits the privileged few.
    As Leona Helmsley once famously summed it up, “We don’t pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.”

And on that note!

mrmoofo

How’s Mr Blair doing on this front?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Cher-Ching… it’s not about left and right, it’s about up and down:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2084483/Tony-Blairs-tiny-tax-foul-stench-fat-cat-greed.html

chewkw
    Free Member

Politicians = Maggots.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Was about to comment, then remembered my ISAs. Damn, I am immoral as the rest of them!! How very dare I shelter some of my savings legitimately from the tax man?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Was about to comment, then remembered my ISAs. Damn, I am immoral as the rest of them!! How very dare I shelter some of my savings legitimately from the tax man?

Are you going to preach to us about austerity, whilst changing the laws in your favour as well?…

sure that will make you popular until the next election, so the cycle can repeat

(struggles not to mention Bilderberg)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Its not really the same though is it? You’re talking a few thousand a year, open to everyone, this is sheltering millions in a way that is only legal because they have not found a way to make it illegal… And the people in charge of making it illegal are doing it as well.

The difference between legal and illegal is just time.

The tax consultants just work faster than the inland revenue. They come up with the avoidance system (legal), the HMRC finds out, and clamps down so it becomes evasion (illegal).

David Cameron wasn’t a fan when Jimmy Carr was doing it..
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDzwbrNLNc0[/video]

cheekyboy
    Free Member

How dare you, do you not wish to contribute to the selective collective?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive – Member
    Are you going to preach to us about austerity, whilst changing the laws in your favour as well?…

Sorry don’t understand that?

Horatio – what is different? Seems to me the main difference is scale. So I shelter a more modest sum than Cameron, Hodge [insert name of most MPS probably] etc via an ISA and they [may} do the same in greater scale via other legal methods. So who is more immoral? How does scale become the only moral arbiter – as one can easily argue that an ISA is not available to all?

I am not defending CMD in any way – as with Hodge, there is a healthy smack of hypocrisy in his and others’ positions. But since I am doing effectively the same, albeit on a micro scale in relation to the reported numbers here, it is hardly fair for me to cast the first stone! Perfectly fair, for those that don’t minimise their tax burden to have a good crack though…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Well, the biggest difference is certainly scale, and in this case that certainly does make it immoral. The tax is supposed to be paid by all companies. Smaller ones can no longer compete. blah blah etc.. Money makes money, and some taxes are designed to counter that so wealth inequality does not get out of control. When people/companies pay less tax as they get richer, the opposite happens.

Legal tax dodges (such as ISA’s and Cycle to Work scheme) are usually done to encourage desirable behaviour, like saving up (a relatively small amount) of money for a rainy day, or cycling to work. These are often encouraged to benefit the wider society, by making sure people are less reliant on the state, or in better health and so on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    These are often encouraged to benefit the wider society, by making sure people are less reliant on the state, or in better health and so on.

Fine, well take this to its logical extenstion. A father uses legal methods to ensure that his family is less/not reliant on the state and therefore not a burden or drain on scarce resources. So that is ok, by your argument – correct? So at want point in the amount scale does that become immoral. In essence, that is what both CMD’s dad and I am doing just on significantly different scales (sadly) and via different instruments/methods.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

So that is ok, by your argument – correct?

No, you’re taking it to extremes to make a point.

I’m out!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How’s Mr Blair doing on this front?

Well as a self-serving Tory, Blair is doing very much as you would expect – rather well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But since I am doing effectively the same, albeit on a micro scale in relation to the reported numbers here,

It is not even close to the same thing
    You may as well argue I avoid tax as i dont smoke tbh

well take this to its logical extenstion. A father uses legal methods to ensure that his family is less/not reliant on the state and therefore not a burden or drain on scarce resources.

Yes that is the main reason for tax avoidance …it is to reduce the burden they place on the sate for their offspring and if they di dnot avoid tax they would be on the poverty line 😕

I is very funny to see CMD going on about this..does anyone think he actually GAS?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not at all – the tax on tobacco is a “sin tax” designed to stop doing things. Legal tax shelters as Horatio stated earlier have (among other things) the intention of encouraging positive behaviour eg, saving or investment. So a MNC may be given a rent holiday or other financial incentives to locate in the depressed part of the UK. Such incentives may not be available to all including smaller scale companies. Since scale seems to be an important issue here – is that immoral?

Doesnt stop politicians being hypocrites on this issue. But for the rest of us: Matthew 7:3 ( 😉 ) is worth bearing in mind even if the speck and the log are interchanged here!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘His dad must be so proud’ is closed to new replies.