Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hiring out your car?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

Has anyone used any of the various website schemes out there to hire out their car when it’s not in use?

Any opinions of different sites would be appreciated, particularly how well things have been handled when it came to insurance claims or other disputes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You would have to be absolutely mental . Ill just leave it at that.

I have certain friends i wouldnt even give my car to never mind complete strangers….

mark90
    Free Member

I lent a car to my best man when he was between cars (having wrote of his 106GTI putting it on it’s roof in a field). He reversed it into a gate post on his drive. Of course he had it fully repaired, the you bend it you mend it principle. It was worth it for the piss taking potential, won’t let him live it down 🙂 I’d do it again tomorrow to help a mate out, but complete strangers, no. I can see that being more trouble than it’s worth.

kcal

I lent my car to a friend many years ago while I was working abroad. No problems arose, he was on the insurance, it was as well getting used..

Would do the same again if someone was in between transport, but strangers, no, sorry. Would hope that any of my mates would in turn lend me a car if needs be but that’s different from your query really.

Sui
    Free Member

Insurance will be an issue, most have “not for hire or reward” in the clause…

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Any such scheme that I would sign up to (such as https://carclub.easycar.com/) would have to have driver insurance handled as part of the transaction.

My biggest worry is mechanical damage, e.g. what happens if they burn your clutch out? They have a ‘reputation’ system similar to eBay feedback, but a mechanical issue might not be immediately apparent…

edlong
    Free Member

Have you ever hired a car yourself? How careful were you with regard to not thrashing it etc?

There’s your answer.

Sui
    Free Member

DoctorRad – Member

Any such scheme that I would sign up to (such as https://carclub.easycar.com/) would have to have driver insurance handled as part of the transaction.

even with that, you’re not allowed to insure a vehicle twice, so I don’t get how it works.

reading the FAQ’s

This insurance cover works in parallel with your existing car insurance (which you legally must have in any case), replacing your car insurance for the period of the rental.

I’m sure should there be a claim the insurance companies will have a fit for not telling them that your vehicle has been used for hire and reward during your ownership…

Anyway, as stated above, it will get trashed by unts(C) like me anyway so I wouldn’t bother..

cp

as they say on top gear…

‘the fastest car in the world is a hire car…’.

That should give you your answer.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Personally, I treat a hire car like I’d treat my own car… but I take your point.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Doesn’t help but reminds me of the story back in the day that John Fashanu lent Vinny Jones his pride and joy Audi Quattro. Jones of course stacked it and was in right panic to get it rebuilt before Fash came back from hols.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hiring out your car?’ is closed to new replies.