Hiring out my Shockwiz, how would that work then in the real world?

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Hiring out my Shockwiz, how would that work then in the real world?
  • geex

just interested now really. Are you really saying you can’t detect undesirable characteristics such as pogo, pack-down or bob yourself?
    From other threads you seem pretty serious about your cycling so that seems a bit of a strange aspect to overlook to me. But it’s cool if you prefer to just use the shockwiz. I think me n Stu are just saying not to put all your faith in it. If you did take the time to learn how everything works I think you’d benefit far more than blindly going with suggested settings from an app.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Unless you ride at the same place all the time then your suspension set up should either be fluid or be a compromise

I wonder how many people change their suspension from ride to ride? Of course it’s a compromise, so is yours, let’s assume you’re an XC racer, so you tune your settings for optimal climbing, but that goes against your descents, which also is wrong for your rock/root section. That’s the thing with MTB, it’s always a compromise to some extent.

When setting a motorbike for track use you may set it softer for the road, but that’s about it. But MTB terrain is far more varied.

So you ride and setup the Shockwiz on what’s likely to be similar to where you ride day to day?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Are you really saying you can’t detect undesirable characteristics such as pogo, pack-down or bob yourself

Well based upon the fact I wasn’t a million miles away, clearly I can sense a bit. But no, I’m not convinced I could commit that well and separate any aspects

trail_rat

It’s not about how many. People do something.

If you want the best performance then that’s how you get it.

Most folk don’t know what the knobs on their shocks do that’s why they don’t change them.

As example when I constantly get told I have too much sag on the rear when I’m climbing a hill …. It’s amazing how many folk know how my bike rides without having ridden my bike.

Ime most folk have their shocks far too hard in the belief that it “climbs better”…. But then they pedal squares.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

And that’s exactly why I/we would use a Shockwiz. I’m pretty sure I’m not in the minority here with this. I bought my t-130, set the pressures and rodecit, never touching it again.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

And now you’ve done the same thing again but think it’s “right” ’cause a device says so.

I’d fancy seeing what one says for me, as I’m wholly uneducated on this black magic of rebound/compression etc.

I’d be happy to be a guinea pig loan for you, and return it in the same condition.

My intention would be to have a session at Leeds bike park, this would cover most of my typical riding, see what it says then follow its guidance.

Then leave it at that.

Apologies for not being a WC racer or mechanic.

MTB Rob

The Shockwiz knows about sag, preload, high and low speed compression etc, so in simple terms that’s what a suspension guy does.

Yes but it takes a “suspension guy” to know that adjusting a setting recommended by sockwiz can/does effect another/other setting/feeling of the fork.
    You might of noticed by just adjusting air pressure has a effect on slow/fast compression “readings” when you where playing with set up etc.

Also I feel if you were going to hire it out you need a very or at lest good knowledge of suspension products & know how, to help the person that hired it, if they get any issues, question etc.
    Plus the you got the issue of taking payment/deposit and most people prob like to do that via a Credit card which gives them protection against some dodgy guy on a forum who doesn’t return the deposit. 😉

“bracketing” works but IMO Shockwiz is a tool to help get you there quicker.
    I also feel it helps with people who got a good set up but are wondering or feel their suspension could be better but not sure what to try/adjust and again SWiz helps you get there.

Computers are cleverer than humans.

yes BUt who programs/make the Computers?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Yes. Because I’m assuming the device is designed to be accurate. Reading all the many test reviews, they seem to think so, even the riders much better than me.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/quarq-shockwiz-first-impressions-2017.html

Quarq ShockWiz review – Who is the ShockWiz really made for?

For really complex rear shocks, the little gizmo proved to be a serious asset – take the FOX FLOAT X2, for example, which saw our test rider encounter a gulf between the recommended base set-up and the suggested set-up from the ShockWiz, which suggested that the rebound was far too fast and that we should reduce the compression damping. The result: notably calmer suspension with better small bump compliance!

From enduro-mtb above.

trail_rat

That would be an awesome review except Does anyone actually use the base recommended settings.

EVERY single fork or shock I’ve had -the base recommended settings were horrific.

Shockwiz would have to try seriously hard to make them feel any worse.

I’m sure you have self justified it but it’s not a use once and forget it thing which is why as a rental concept it’s fairly flawed.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

yes BUt who programs/make the Computers?

I’m afraid I cannot answer that question Dave.

geex

Cheers for the honest reply weeksy
    I don’t ride at the same place all the time (or conditions for that matter). Far far from it.
    I do however ride the same way everywhere I ride.
    I set-up my suspension up for this. not for conditions or terrain but for my preference as to how the bike works. Consistency is far more important to me than any of the small adjustments an app like shockwiz would try to get me to fine tune from place to place.
    shockwiz cannot find this setting for me as it has no way of knowing which way a set-up actually works best for me.

Terry already covered this when he mentioned “compromise”

None of us here are knocking on the door of top 20 at WC/EWS level or anything so fiddling about with minutae for weeks to spend one afternoon arseing about on a hill is somewhat pointless. if you’re fast enough to be there, yes it’ll start to matter more. and that’s when the help of a support team will become invaluable to you. at no point should a shockwiz be.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

That would be an awesome review except Does anyone actually use the base recommended settings

The people who don’t know what they’re doing. They read the chart on the back of fork leg and set pressures there, or say to the shop guy, I’m 14st, set it about there.

I think you’re giving too much faith in average guys abilities.

trail_rat

Well I guess your right. Cycling is the new golf.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’m an ex semi pro golfer.

missions

I would be interested to rent a Shockwiz off someone that isn’t using it.
    So if you have figured out the best way that would suit you let me know.

Premier Icon LittleNose
    Subscriber

I’ve had a shockwiz for a while now, and it made quite a difference to how I felt on my bike. I could stop wondering what I should try modifying, and scratching my head wondering what was changing – I’m one of those that’s unable to really understand the feedback I get from the bike, and wonder if it’s the suspension that’s changed, or if it’s a different line over the roots / speed, body position etc.
    I’m not tuning my suspension for different areas, as now I have a set of settings that I like, and just enjoy my riding*
    It would be nice to have the ability that so many on here seem to have, but alas it’s not the case. I think the shockwiz product was aimed directly at the likes of me, and I am very happy to have bought it.

Weeksy – is it an option to get insurance on the gadget for renting it out?

*currently off the trails due to fracture in my knee & snapped ACL

so, there are a load of underused shockwiz sat unused after the initial use by the purchaser.

Seems a shame.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’ve got my son’s and several buddies bikes it can be used on.

Premier Icon LittleNose
    Subscriber

so, there are a load of underused shockwiz sat unused after the initial use by the purchaser.

yep, that’s probably true… but similar to Weeksy, I’ve 3 of my bikes I use it on, then there’s friends who borrow it too.
    Underused yes, but still glad I got it.

I wasnt meaning to criticise their lack of use. It was merely a comment on how tricky it is to share/rent something valuable as per the OP.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Yeah i’m struggling to think of a decent solution for that. It’s not that i need to recoup the money, i’m actually more than happy by the time i do a few mates bikes and my lads race bike that the value within it will have been repaid in that context… But it would have been nice to think of an easy way to do it.
    Got BPW in a few weeks so can see it being used on more than 1 bike there for sure.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Seems a shame.

See also USB turntables after you’ve ripped your vinyl to MP3.

Premier Icon blurty
    Subscriber

I’ve got a Shockwiz. I set up my own bikes & my two sons’ bikes. (Their bikes were way off, mine were mostly OK).

It’s useful when you get shocks serviced too – to return to original feel.

I also intended to rent it out but have just lent it to mates in the end.

Premier Icon edd
    Subscriber

What I’m curious about is how you start bracketing a Float X2 shock? There are four damping adjustments (HSC, LSC, HSR and LSR), spring pressure and number of tokens (ie a total of six variables).

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Shockwiz has gone with my boss for the weekend. He bought a Calibre Bossnut about 6-8 weeks ago. He’s not touched it since the shop handed it to him, well, not in a suspension context, he’s gone Tubeless etc… But the bouncy bits are as they came to him. So really curious to see what settings he has and what it recommends, along with the results after it too.

After that it will be going to FoD on my lads bike, see how his is and hopefully get it better for the Enduro racing….. Then a couple of days and i’ll take to BPW and do a few runs on either mine or his, maybe 1-2 on each to hopefully dial the settings in a smidgen more.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Gave the Shockwiz to my boss for the weekend but he didn’t do it right and forgot to click “start new session” when he went out so didn’t get any data.

Going to move on today to my lads Giant/Liv and see if we can get any data before this weekend at FoD, ideally i’d like to get at least the front or rear set up before his Enduro so on the day we can hopefully do the other end in practice and then have it all good for the race a bit later in the day. We’ll only get a certain amount of data today, but should be enough to at least give us a baseline setting i hope.

pat12

I bought a shockwiz, thought it would revolutionise my riding. Turns out my settings were about right and i’m just shit.

£30 quid a week rental – £200 deposit, i take paypal

🙂

geex

Weeksy. Out of interest. How long have you and your lad been riding about on (presumably) expensive suspension? and are you quite new to mountainbikes? or have you owned lots of suspension products but just never learned how to set them up?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Well my lad is only 10 years old, this is his first FS bike. But he’s always had ‘high’ spec bikes within a reasonable budget.. but he’s 10…. 🙂 So has loads of excuses.

Me, 15 years on decent bikes, from a Meta55, Spearfish, Bionicon, XTC29, MetaAM29, T-130, etc etc. As i said earlier, i am 100% convinced i’m ‘normal’ in the context that i’d set the pressure and that’s about it, the rest is just left where it is… I’ve never sessioned sections and twidled with the suspension adjusters, never ever. I’ve raced XC, been to Morzine/Alps/BPW, done short rides, long rides… But no, i’ve never learned…

I still think i’m the majority rather than the minority in that

P.S my lad had a Fortnite type game which topped me yesterday, so my suspension work went out of the window.

I’d be inclined to agree with Weeksy – I don’t think most people would go through the faff of tweaking settings. Get the concepts, but even when I was racing regularly I never bothered. As long as things when bounce bounce that was good enough. Even if I thought mid-ride that something was off, I’d have forgotten about it by the time I got home. If something like the Shockwiz could easily get me close to a better setting with minimal faffage I’d give that a try any day.

geex

Thanks.
    I find it absolutely baffling that folk would even buy a top end bike/suspension product (over saving money and going with base models) if they don’t understand how their adjusters work and are going to just leave everything wide open.
    I know cycling is a middle class frivolous past time but that can’t be the norm. surely?
    It honestly doesn’t take long to learn.
    Spring rate/progression and damping is fairly easy to understand and adjust to preference/rider weight/riding style. Far easier than winning a round of Fortnite for instance.

From the other thread (Dickbarton’s) it seems you can’t even decide how you like to ride. so expecting shockwiz’ algorythms to come up with suitable settings is even less likely.

Ps. I’m 100% convinced no one who ever bought a Bionicon is “normal” 😉

Pps. Why do you start your cycle related threads in the chat forum?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

1. Believe it or not…. it’s how it is 🙂

2. I can’t win at Fortnite

3. I understand the concept of compression, rebound and sag, the reality… not so much.

4. Bionicon was fantastic in the Alps.

5. Dunno…. Sorry.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Weeksy.

If you do decide to rent the Shockwiz out I’d happily rent it, please.

I get the theory of suspension and I’ve tried bracketing, but to be honest most of the time I can’t feel much difference. That could be because I’m a gurt fat heffer that’s pushing the limits of my fork, so minor adjustments might not be noticeable to a talentless oik like me. Maybe the Shockwiz could help me out.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.