Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Hiring mig welding gear?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I need to repair some box section steel struts and make up a square frame at home (non structural, don’t worry ;-)). I have done a little welding before, not much, but quite fancy getting a bit better at it. Don’t really want to shell out the £500+ which I’d need for all the gear right now. Does anyone have any tips for hiring stuff? Looks like there are places which list the welder for about £50/week, presuambly they can provide all the consumables and ppe as well. Utlimately I’d like to learn TIG, but I think in the interests of actually getting this done in a day or two I’d better go with MIG. A 160A unit should be ok for 50×50 box, 3mm wall?

I’m in Sheffield if anyone has any specific recommendations.

Thanks!

nickjb
    Free Member

If you are just doing some 3mm box then a stick welder will do it. You can buy a reasonable 2nd hand one for under £50. I expect the seller will have a few sticks, basic mask, etc, they can throw in. Not as nice as MIG or TIG but should be good enough and you can take your time, handy if you get part way and realise you’ve forgotten something.

revs1972
    Free Member

It’s like everything in life, if you buy a cheap one then you will struggle to get the results you want. I’ve seen time served welders struggle with a cheap unit. If you hire one , make sure it’s a gas one if you want good results, otherwise learn to stick weld 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Hiring mig welding gear?’ is closed to new replies.