Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Hired a Mercedes A class and shocked at how bad it was.
  • pipm1
    Free Member

The previous rental drivers must’ve been potential Tory party leaders… class A users…

I’ll get my coat…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve not used an off button for a radio in a car for years. Just the up or down volume on the steering wheel and selecting the input.

Just for a bit of balance, I was driving a BMW 1 series convertible today. It rattled, squeaked and was quite a cheap interior for a ‘posh’ car.

Daffy

I drove a Model 3 this week and the interior was like my 1999 Renault Megane, but without the quality.

CountZero

The a class like the c class is built in South Africa using some of the poorest electronics I’ve ever seen.

That may account for the A-Class that came in several weeks ago, and ended up sat in our arrivals area until a bloke came with a small transporter to haul it away: the battery died, somewhat surprisingly, I think the day after it arrived, a jump pack was put on it and it started, but it was stuck in Park, and nothing we tried could get it to move.
    Our tame tech bloke sat in it for quite a number of hours over a few days with his magic box plugged in, and a laptop trying to find some way to get the gearbox to function, but nothing worked.
    I think it was sold as it was, just to get the bloody thing out of the way!
    It seems astonishing that a flat battery can cause a car to disable itself to the point that it’s impossible to move it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m way out of the loop with cars (my own is a twelve year old Alfa 159!) but that dashboard looks awfully chintzy. I suspect that the current generation of Mercs won’t age well.

I’m also completely bewildered by the multitude of performance “editions”, that mostly seem to be driven by complete throbbers.

andyl
    Free Member

Sat in an A35 AMG at the dealer the other week and it was okay. Had been driving round in a 2019 E220. Compared to my 2011 E I loved the 9″ screen, smaller steering wheel and parking camera/sensors but the climate controls were too small and awkward.

Would like to have a go of the new A45 with it’s 415hp 2 litre twin turbo but my heart is set on a 2018 E63s 4matic estate as my last ever IC engined car.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

So how do you turn it off/down – i can see the volume control on the steering wheel but surely theres a need for the passenger to be able to control the audio as well (or do Merc assume any passenger is always on a meter?). How *do* you adjust volume or turn radio on/off if you’re not in the driving seat?

That Dash really is horribly bling – designed for Chinese market i guess. they’ve moved on from just the analogue clock….

I’ve always been impressed by the interior of Merc’s when ive ben in them but the general interior standard of the lower end manufacturers has com ea long way. Briefly sat in a Dacia Sandero with leather seats – it did a pretty good job of feeling high end

plyphon
    Free Member

It’s a touch screen. I suspect if you tap ‘radio’ you get all sorts of contextual controls, one of which is ‘turn off’.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve driven a few of them through Zipcar including brand new ones and agree with the OP to a large extent. With Zipcar you pay more per hour for a Mercedes A-class than a Golf and a Hyundai i30 which seems the wrong way round.
    My list of crap things:
    – The seating position is awful to get right.
    – The dash layout is fine but not very intuitive.
    – I HATE THE HANDBRAKE.
    – It took me about 4 Youtube videos to find the bonnet lever inside.
    – One I drove had a dodgy tyre pressure sensor which kept telling me my tyre was flat and sounding an audible warning.
    – Reverse gear is awkward to get to.
    – Not much space inside for it’s size.
    – Boot is small and awkwardly shaped.
    – Very hard to get out of FM radio; no DAB.
    – Kids didn’t like the smell.

Other than that it drives pretty well.
    Would. Not. Buy.

mashr

plyphon

It’s a touch screen. I suspect if you tap ‘radio’ you get all sorts of contextual controls, one of which is ‘turn off’.

You would think wouldn’t you. Prior Mercedes experience tells me it’s unlikely to be that simple

bikebouy
    Free Member

Would like to have a go of the new A45 with it’s 415hp 2 litre twin turbo

If you can get it started 🤯

My mate has one, it’s failed 4 times in n the recent rain to start. The drivers and passenger foot wells have filled with water and the boot lock mechanism has failed leaving the boot opening whilst driving.

He’s been back to Merc (P’mth) and they’ve refused to take it back but “fix” the issues.

Its 3mths old.

Sui
    Free Member

I had a GLC rental a few weeks back, and as others have said the engine (diesel 2.2) and gearbox were surprisingly good (i have a 520d), however the consol layout was/is horrendously complicated, it also bugged my colleague and i that the windsreen was weirdly small for the size of the car.

Anyway the radio is selected either by a small button next to the weird aircon button, but the volume has to be done on the steering wheel , but the buttons next to the volume only do what’s in the drivers consol, unless you use the other side of the buttons and they can change some bits on the centre consol. Then try and engage the cruise control and wonder why the car slows down – ah yes, the same stalk for speed limiter which depending on how hard you pull it says if its cruising or limiting. And then you can wonder why people are getting pissed with you when you try to clean the windscreen with the stalk that’s clearly got windscreen controls on it- it’s because you a re flashing them, do where’s the the screen wash – oh year it’s a friggin button

stupid stupid stupid UI…

did i say engine and gearbox were ok though?

submarined
    Free Member

The C has a volume control on the centre console as well, does the A not have this?
    The three stalks on the left, gear on the right is bloody stupid. I always seem to end up flashing lights at people when trying to remember how to wash the windscreen.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I had a GLA for 12 months last year and thought it was reasonably well built but by god it was noisy inside, felt like a citroen AX inside.

in the last month my missus has just bought a new E Class Cabriolet with the Premium Plus pack which has the full LCD display like the new A Class and it’s got to be one of the best systems i’ve seen. It’s got so many features and useful stuff it beggars belief, not to mention 360 degree camera which triggers when you get near a kerb so you can see your wheels and don’t dent them.

I’ve just taken delivery of a new Audi A4 Black Edition which feels quite old in comparison, dials and buttons control a really clunky system that is constantly asking you to OK stuff, can’t handle two phones at once cos I didn’t specify the £2k tech pack, feels ancient in comparison.

The new A class just doesn’t even look like a Merc now, they’ve gone into Blandville big time…

frankconway

Mick, did you get your cars from Ling?

tonyg2003

Two Merc’s here. An e class (2018) and a SLC 2016. Both have been trouble free and seem very well built although hard to compare to a A class since it’s a while since I’ve driven one. Our mercs have volume controls on the steering wheel and big volume control on dash (SLC) or on centre console (E class).

I would say that it’s not uncommon to take 2hrs for a new car hand over where all the cars systems are explained. Hence walking out to a hire car can be quite an experience if it’s not a model / manufacturer that you have previous experience of.

Waderider
    Free Member

I had a new E220D from Hertz while my Volvo V70 was in for crash repair.

Good – power from a 2 litre diesel, handling relative to my Volvo, build quality seemed good but some cheap plastics evident. Eight speed auto was good.

Poor – Interface bad, in two weeks couldn’t use the sound system properly, but did find my way into sub menus to put most other things right. For example, to turn off the utterly pointless interior ambient lighting. Seats were not comfortable.

On balance, I was happy to get my Volvo back, which is less than I would have expected from a Mercedes.

CountZero

I would say that it’s not uncommon to take 2hrs for a new car hand over where all the cars systems are explained. Hence walking out to a hire car can be quite an experience if it’s not a model / manufacturer that you have previous experience of.

Welcome to what I’ve been doing for the last three years – I’m expected to get into whatever turns up and drive it, and some cars have mods for disabled drivers, which can be challenging! For two years I would be dropped off, be shown a car, inspect it, then drive it away, with at most thirty minutes to do a condition check and make sure it worked, then drive a couple of hundred miles back from Corn, or back through London. I could be picking up a 3.5 ton commercial, an ambulance, a Maserati Ghibli, a Smart fourtwo, Audi Q7…, usually two or three different cars a day.
    I had nobody to show me where anything was, just had to sus it out on the hoof, which can be a bit of a challenge at times, although I’ve had to go back into a dealership a couple of times to ask how the hell you get pertinent info up on a Honda Civic, or just how you open the rear hatch on a Ford Ecosport, neither of which are particularly intuitive.
    Now I’m moving twenty to thirty or more cars a day, of all different makes and models, and I’m still getting caught out by silly little things; Ford not being consistent in how they have the wiper controls being one – the right hand stalk can either operate the front or rear wiper, with the end switch doing the opposite, and it’s never clear which one it’ll be. Why the hell they can’t have it the same across the entire range is beyond me. Always interesting, especially when something new turns up, like a Golf R, or the Alfa Stelvio. Abart 595’s are a lot of fun, when one turns up. 😁

globalti
    Free Member

Oh for the simplicity of my old Landy, which had standard BL dashboard and controls and the ventilation was done by opening the flaps.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The dashboard of my car:

Everything is extremely easy to work. I like old cars. This has the best interior light and vent controls I have ever come across.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not one to be rude, but that looks like a right old mess and so outdated.

Funny how we get so used to seeing new designs..

plus-one

Bring back 80’s dashboards !!

bails

Yeah, that Saab looks horrible. I count 54 separate buttons, not including the indicator stalks and anything extra on them.

In contrast to the OP, I hired a BMW X5 from thrifty recently, which I appreciate is a completely different class to an A-class. Was expecting a 25d SE but was pleasantly surprised to be given the keys to an M-Sport 40d. As a tool for covering 1000 miles quickly and comfortably I couldn’t fault it. I wouldn’t want to own it and have to pay for things like the £400 rear tyres though!

globalti
    Free Member

How intuitive were the controls of the BMW?

Sui
    Free Member

globalti

my experience is iDrive is brilliantly intuitive, but then i’ve been in a 5 series in one style or other for 8 years. Dash layout is simple, with the need to know buttons and stalks in all of the right places and not too many of them. My only gripe is the fog switches are too close to the steering column so you can’t easily see them..

Rubber_Buccaneer

All those buttons and lights remind me of the Audi A5 I had as a hire car recently.  I thought technology had made all that shit unnecessary.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I would say it’s a major issue if a car’s controls are that unintuitive. You might get that as the first owner from a main dealer, but do second drivers? do second or third owners?

There used to be a common ‘physical’ language for car controls, that had developed over decades and was pretty much common across all. That’ Saab is basically the same as our VW Caddy. I can scan it and see how everything is going to work immediately. I could probably operate it in the dark by touch/feel immediately.

The MIB navigation thing in our new VW isn’t a bad compromise – it’s still got a physical volume control, but it lacks a physical play/pause button or mute, so what I used to be able to do without taking my eyes off the road is now distracting.

All this ‘innovation’ in interfaces is not good for road safety.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The thing about that SAAB dashboard/control buttons setup is that it is extremely intuitive. It all just works, and I can do anything I want without thinking about it – even first time, while driving.

finishthat
    Free Member

Not one to be rude, but that looks like a right old mess and so outdated.

Funny how we get so used to seeing new designs..

It might be outdated but only in a good way , having to go operate any menu/touch screen system whilst driving is distracting – similar to texting on a mobile phone.
    Note there are actually very few “options” on that Saab – each button does only one thing and though its a high button count a great deal of it is audio related.
    We are getting there with some interfaces – the right mixture of buttons for functions needed whilst driving and menu based for , there have been some horrors on the way , and they continue sadly.

globalti
    Free Member

The motor industry is going to fall off a cliff. It’s already teetering on the brink with over-capacity and car showrooms are jam-packed with unsold cars while the roads are packed to capacity. I’d have thought it would pay every manufacturer to develop a compact, cheap, simple vehicle that could easily be upgraded to autonomous when that comes – smart motorways will be the first autonomous roads and platooning is already possible with existing radar-controlled cars.

I wouldn’t be surprised in VW’s Up! is already halfway there.

bails

Really good. I’d not spent any real time in another ‘modern’ car (mine is a 2005 Focus, the Mrs has a Fiat 500) and it took me no time at all to figure out how to connect my phone to the bluetooth to stream music, set the wipers to auto, turn on the cruise control, set the climate control, open the sunroof etc.

matt_outandabout

Bring back 80’s dashboards !!

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Hired a Mercedes A class and shocked at how bad it was.’ is closed to new replies.