Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hire car company admin fees for passing on a fine.
  • phil5556

Are they all the same or is it just that Green Motion suck?

End of October, picked up in Stansted, midnight so crossed the Dartford bridge for free – yay!

Driving back to the airport, early afternoon, under the tunnel and forgot to pay. I’m so used to our own cars being on the account with auto top up that I didn’t even think about it.

Until 2 days later, when I went online and paid.

Couple of days ago received the DART charge fine, phoned up today and surprisingly only £5 to pay (and they refunded the original £2.50 late payment). Yay. Much better than expected.

Then today received an email from Green Motion saying I owe them £56 😮 Now that seems a pretty unreasonably high amount for what I assume took them 2 minutes to look on the computer and send it back with my details on.

Yes I know my fault etc etc, just a whinge really.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve been charged £25 on top of the fine for a london congestion charge once, £56 does seem a little excessive.

nickjb
    Free Member

Pretty standard. Had it a coupele of times with hire cars in Italy and Australia. Never actually received the fine either time (or were sure there even was one), just the admin fee. Challenged them both got the Italy back from the credit card card company, Australia one was a load of hassle so gave up. If you definitely incurred the fine then you may have to suck it up as it’ll be interesting the T&Cs small print

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Courtesy car I had whilst I was being repaired stated very clearly in the ts and cs that any speeding or parking fine etc would be subject to a 60 quid admin fee. Think it’s a pretty standard money making policy.

frankconway

Hadn’t heard of them so did a google search to satisfy my curiosity; they appear to have a shit reputation.
    Suggest you tell them their charge is totally disproportionate to the actual cost they incurred; offer them £10 without prejudice in full and final settlement.

phil5556

Suggest you tell them their charge is totally disproportionate to the actual cost they incurred;

I did this and am waiting for their response. I’ve asked them to send me a copy of the paperwork where I signed to accept the charge in their T&Cs. I’m sure I probably did sign, it was late and I wasn’t in the mood to read anything 🙄

Yes they have a rubbish reputation but it cost me £13 for a car at 2345 after my flight was delayed and my pre-booked hire car company had gone home for the day.

Even with the £56 added it’s less than half the price of anything else I could get that late in the evening.

phil5556

I’d expect a charge, but somewhere closer to £25 feels much more reasonable.

TomB

Green motion =utter charlatan shysters. We fell foul of their now well documented fraudulent ‘dent finding’, charged £600 for a tiny ding that was definitely not sustained during our hire period and was pointed out immediately on return without any pretence at inspecting the car. 3rd party excess insurance paid for the fee but I would never trust this firm. Sadly, your fee is probably in their t & cs.

cornholio98
    Free Member

It costs my company around 150 to issue a po so I would never be surprised that the admin fee is higher than seems sensible

Caher

I just got one of them for driving 34 in a 30 in Germany. Just paid up the admin was 3 times the fine(£45).

phil5556

Obviously they were right and I did sign agreeing to it. Still think it’s expensive though!

Matt24k
    Free Member

Green Motion are not to be used/trusted.
    I fell foul of the hidden scrape under the front valance scam when hiring from their Gatwick outlet. Luckily for me I had excess cover and they reimbursed me. Interestingly my excess cover provider now specifically excludes certain Green Motion sites.
    That said the admin charge is standard across hire companies and I can’t see how the OP can avoid it.

jairaj

This like a few years ago when banks were charging ridiculous admin fees for extra charges / fines.

If I remember correctly there was some legislation bought in so they have to charge a reasonable amount now.

It needs to be extended to car hire companies and similar businesses.

It’s fair to charge an admin fee but that’s just a silly amount for 2 mins worth of work.

wwaswas

Green Motion seem like very nice people…

An investigation found evidence staff at Green Motion were given incentives to charge heavy fees for damage – some of which was pre-existing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46974240

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hire car company admin fees for passing on a fine.’ is closed to new replies.