Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hip/waist packs
  • Karinofnine

can you get them nowadays or is it all about camelbaks and the like? Thanks

accu
    Free Member

depends on the size ..
    ortlieb makes one..hip pack2…

binners

Camelbak actually do a selection. Do you mean this type of thang?

A riding mate has recently forsaken the more traditional rucsac for one of these, and seems to be getting on fine with it. You can still cram everything you need in there.

The downside being that you look like an American tourist 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Do you mean a fanny pack? fnar fnaaaaarrrrrr

http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/rucksacks.html

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wingnut-adventure-or-alternative-rucksack

Found a pic of you racing the Cyclone winter series yesterday.

mduncombe
    Free Member

back in the day before hydration bladders came along I used to use waist packs a lot.

More comftable when you have a sweaty back but less comftable when you have a lot of gear and the belt digs into your waist/belly.

plenty of choice out there but try looking for running or fell running belt packs.

I might just go and dig mine out again 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Actually, i’m currently using an old Lowe Alpine [snortle]fanny pack [/snortle] for commuting to work, its pretty big, 2″ wide webbing belt, no water carrying, it’s good but can dig in a bit if overloaded, those Wingnuts look good. Have also used an old Power Bar [chortle]fanny pack[/chortle] for the 3 Peaks CX with a 1litre bottle shoved into it which worked well.

Northwind

Camelbak do a couple, I’ve got a nice wee one that takes a small bottle and has a pouch more or less big enough for a phone and wallet- combines well with a saddle bag for xc stuff but it’s a wee bit unstable so can be distracting on lumpy stuff.

Mountain Warehouse do a much larger 2 bottle thing, which has got loads of room in it- cheap and not comfy if heavily loaded but otherwise good.

SimonR

I bought a Camelbak one recently – takes 2 bottles and has a small compartment for snacks. Bungees on the outside mean I can add a small stuff sack for a spare jacket. Works really well for a short walk but not tried it on the bike – it’s designed for running so seems to pretty secure.

mduncombe
    Free Member

Actually, i’m currently using an old Lowe Alpine

yup, thats what was in the back of my cupboard, used extensively for skiing in the past as well.

also have an old karrimor pack with two mesh water bottle pockets but its too uncomftable/heavy when used for water bottles so a windproof or compact camera tends to get stuffed in instead.

neninja
    Free Member

I have no hips figuratively speaking and tried a hip belt. I found it slid down every time I stood up and was uncomfortable when sitting. Maybe it just wasn’t a very good one.

zero-cool
    Free Member

They’re called Bum bags, no amount of name changes will make them cool. To be honest for a lot of riding (DH days, short journeys, nice weather days they’re actuall really practical as small and keep the weight/COG low. Quite popular with the French and Germans out in the Alps where you’re never far from somewhere you can be a drink and you can easily stow a pump, tube and tool in them. Not really seen them catch on with the British who’d rather push their bike down the mountain for 30 minutes than carry a spare tube.

Pretty sure CamelBack do a few

Karinofnine

Fnarrr, yes a fanny pack.

I used to use one back in the day, loved it. I’ve (a) got fed up with having a sweaty back and (b) need to keep as much weight off my back as possible.

I remember the Cyclone race – at Gilwell Park. I used to love racing, really really loved it and I miss it. I hope to get fit again (although I am old now and not at all a contender) and do some events next year – but money is very much an issue these days of diesel at £1.40 a litre.

When I think about racing I still get excited, makes the hairs on my arms stand up to remember being on the startline, being counted down…

Like an old war horse, I still whinny in my stable when I hear the sound of distant cannon!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I use a Wingnut which works in a similar fashion to military webbing, as in there’s still over-the-shoulder straps, but actual bag sits on your hips.

Personally I think it’s great. Back is still relatively free to breath, but you can carry tools / cameras etc around your sternum and run a reservoir hose over your shoulder.

Just remember – it needs to be worn low. 🙂

gazc
    Free Member

i’ve got one of these OMM Ultra Fanny Pack weighs naff all and can fit a relatively surprising amount of kit in it. want to try a wingnut for replacing my camelback for longer/day rides with more gear

Karinofnine

Thank you for your replies, the Camelbak Venture looks good.

Del

i’ve got an osprey one, 8L. happily takes all the stuff i need but i had to get a shorter pump to fit inside it. usually takes two bottles, two tubes, tools, pump, windproof, gps, phone. in addition sometimes takes armwarmers, spare shirt, buffs, large packet of nuts. nicely put together and feels like it’ll last years.
    side pockets are handy and useful, more so than those on the wingnut pack i had, which by comparison i found not terribly well built ( hip belt attachment is poor, zips failing ) and a bit fragile. the concept is sound but the price is too high for the problems it exhibited IMHO.

cat69uk
    Free Member

Trail Running magazine has reviews of about 30+ waist packs in this months mag. A Haglofs one got best in test.

twoniner
    Free Member

I have 2 wingnuts and they are brilliant but can still be too big for a short ride.

I have a Marin waistpack that I bought about 20 years ago and still use it. It holds 2 bottles either side of the main compartment.

One thing to look out for when buying one that holds bottles is the ease of getting the bottles back in to the holders while riding.

I tried the OMM one and found it fiddly to get a bottle back in. Once the bottle was out for a drink the holder kind of collapsed a bit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hip/waist packs’ is closed to new replies.