Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hiplok
  • eyestwice
    Free Member

Anyone got their anchor?

https://hiplok.com/product/ankr/

Looks pretty neat, is Gold rated and – seeing as I rent – it can actually be removed in future.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Only as secure as your lock. Inside or outside?

eyestwice
    Free Member

Stone outhouse attached to end of main building.

Sold Secure Gold hasp and padlock on outside.

New door frame with new shuts. Ball-bearing hinges.

Ledged and braced outhouse door. Lined on the interior with marine ply.

And after all that, the ‘I dare you to try and kick my door in’ security – razor wire in the void between the front of the door and the ply on the rear, between the braces.

Oh, and one of those little remote-disarmed shed alarms. You’d never reach the actual alarm unit with the bikes in place.

Plus Sold Secure Gold anchor and chain.

I think I’ve covered everything there 🙂

cookeaa

Only as secure as your lock.

Dunno actually, IANA Bike Thief, but seeing as it’s only fixed on four raw plugs/screws if I were trying to steal a bike attached to one, I’d just take a big bit of bar/tube, shove it through the conveniently large hole and lever the whole bastard thing straight off the wall… You could then cut the lock/anchor off later at your leisure…

“Gold rated”?… My arse!

whatgoesup

As above it does look trivially easy to lever off the wall with a crowbar?

cynic-al
    Free Member

shove it through the conveniently large hole and lever the whole bastard thing straight off the wall

There’ll be a lock through the hole, no?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Lever through the lock

cookeaa

Indeed, but helpfully they’ve left a massive chunk of extra space for the attack I described, and popped up a fitting video on their website that makes it clear what weak point of it is…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Actually why dick around with levers.

That looks like a convinving tap with a hammer would duslodge it.

ofked
    Free Member

So, don’t fit it like the one in the picture. I have one and really rate it. Mine is fitted high up (the bikes are on a rack) and just behind the frames – you couldn’t get a crowbar in there because two bikes are in the way. I also have a fatter lock which fills the hole more.

oikeith

If there is a gap left why not just add another lock or a padlock to fill the space? Really its all about deterrent, if they wanted your bike they’d get it in the end whatever you have.

cookeaa

If there is a gap left why not just add another lock or a padlock to fill the space? Really its all about deterrent, if they wanted your bike they’d get it in the end whatever you have.

Some of you seem to want to like this product, fair enough clearly something about it appeals, or you have shares in Hiplok.
    It fails on pretty much the most fundamental level, the Anchoring bit of being an “Anchor”.
    For £70 it should be more than just a “deterrent”, and a customer shouldn’t need to fix it’s glaring flaws by buying better fixings of stuffing it full of extra locks FFS…

For the money it should be adding minutes and noise to any effort to get at your bike(s), that it can be bypassed in 30 seconds without the need for power tools tells you how much of a ripoff it is IMO…
    On the plus side it is pretty.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And after all that, the ‘I dare you to try and kick my door in’ security – razor wire in the void between the front of the door and the ply on the rear, between the braces

Might be a silly point but that sounds dangerously close to booby trapping, whilst it’s likely to leave you with your bikes there’s a good chance a hefty custodial sentence would be given to you should said door kicking miscreant injure themselves in the process of trying to rob you.

Back to the op though, only as good as the fixings or lock obviously but decent ones of either are readily available. That said it *looks* nice, not functional so is likely to get those fixings tested rather than looking substantial enough to make people look elsewhere.

For £70 it should be more than just a “deterrent”, and a customer shouldn’t need to fix it’s glaring flaws by buying better fixings

Yes I think it’s over priced but given you want the right fixings for whatever you’re fixing into (eg for damaged concrete you want resin at £20 a tube + 4 decent anchor rods at £6 each) I’d not expect decent fixings in that at £70.

cookeaa

I’d not expect them to throw in Resin anchors, but four expanding M8 jobs for masonry fitting wouldn’t cost the earth and they could leave their woodscrews in for any fools that really want to fit it to timber/plasterboard…

TBH a cheaper M/C anchor would be about as effective, just not as pretty…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

TBH a cheaper M/C anchor would be about as effective, just not as pretty…

Likely more effective by virtue of not being pretty.

Problem with rawl bolts and the like is people will use what they’re given, and plug them into aerated block work, thermalite etc, blow the fixing holes and have no better, if not worse purchase than they’d get from a basic wall plug.

A wall plug will do a crap job of holding a security anchor secure but it’s unlikely to leave ruddy great holes in the wall either.

footflaps

Anyone turning up determined to steel the bikes will just cut through the lock with an 18v angle grinder. They are the bike thieves best friend. Why faff with levering anything.

chriscubed

It looks nice. like most have said it won’t stop a determined thief with a few minutes and an angle grinder, not much will.

But its gold status probably satisfies the insurance company so you’ll at least get compensation, so meets your needs. and it looks nice too.

Costs a bit more than one that doesnt look nice… That’s your choice

squirrelking
    Free Member

Looks like cheap shite as per the rest of the tat Hiplok sell and about as useful as their stupid cafe locks. A determined pull would get that off most walls when fitted by most people, you can bet the “gold” rating is reliant on chemical fixings and a properly fat chain or double wrapping to fill that stupidly large hole.

I wouldn’t even bother whipping out the grinder for that.

cookeaa

Anyone turning up determined to steel the bikes will just cut through the lock with an 18v angle grinder. They are the bike thieves best friend. Why faff with levering anything.

Well it’s faster and quieter than breaking out a grinder? The point being not to get caught if at all possible…

Bolt Croppers and/or hydraulic bolt cutters are actually the tools of choice for the discerning modern bike thief, being relatively quiet, portable and relying on mechanical advantage (leverage) to defeat a chain in seconds…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hiplok’ is closed to new replies.