Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hip protection liner shorts
  • 1timmy1
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for some liner shorts that have some good hip protection (preferably level 1) but are not a pain to pedal in. I have some G Form liner shorts but the chamois is so thin and isn’t conformable. I usually ride in Endura liner shorts that I find great, just the right amount of chamois padding.

I would like some thigh and coccyx protection too. I’ve tried the new Evoc shorts, 661 and Leatt 4.0 that all on paper fit the bill but the Evoc hip protection wasn’t in the right place for me; the 661 fit was just weird and the Leatt 4.0 pads were too noticeable when pedalling.

What have others tried and found good?

duncancallum

I’ve some fox ones that are comfortable but they’re 8yr old.

I got then after a hip op but now dint bother as I’m not as paranoid.

Why do you want then? Not being a dick just I forgot to put them on n lit looked back

Northwind

I looked for something like this as I have a bunch of steel in my hip from an old fracture, but tbh most armoured shorts aren’t that good for the hips for some reason- most had lots of thigh padding, some coccyx, but tended to have only partial cover on the hips. Annoyingly quite a few had little chamois pads built in- I don’t like chamois so that was bad for me, but equally if you do like them, you might want to wear your normal ones

The ones I liked the most were the cheapest 661. The only other thing I’d say is, don’t be tempted by anything that isn’t machine washable- some of the custard-tech impact protection isn’t, and tbf sweaty riding kit that isn’t machine washable mostly isn’t fit for purpose.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I have (and like) the 661 Evo compression shorts. They did take a bit of getting use to but now they’re fine.

I’ve also got (and don’t like) the G-Form.

Not tried the Leatt (yet).

POC do some that I haven’t yet tried.

I think anything with level 1 protection is going to feel a bit different at least due to all the extra material.

I’m actually on the look out for (but haven’t found) some outer shorts with padding as I would prefer to go no chamois in summer. The 661’s do lack a bit in breathability which is expected but still not great when it’s 25+

sweaman2
    Free Member

Oh and +1 on the machine washable. The 661 pads come out which is a must – see previous comment on lack of breathability.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Decathlon have some rugby or American football ones that might work. Around £25

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-protective-rugby-undershorts-r500-black-yellow/_/R-p-309136?mc=8550433&c=BLACK

alan1977
    Free Member

I bought my self some Endura MT500 Proitector shorts, not sure if they have the level of protection you are looking for, was interested as i already had endura overshorts nad quite like hte click fast…
    ive only actually worn them to BPW.. but i feel i could wear them for general trail riding if requred

1timmy1
    Free Member

I’m wanting some for Enduro racing/uplift days and I am riding more technical stuff than I have ever before. Plus I’m getting older so don’t recover as quickly anymore.

Machine washing was another criteria I forgot to add on. The Evoc and 661’s were but most manufacturers don’t detail it in the description.

I’m probably going to have to compromise on my criteria. I was thinking the Endura ones but have read the D30 is quite thin, but I might have to go for that to feel comfortable pedalling.

1timmy1
    Free Member

@alan1977 Are the Endura’s machine washable? Do they indicate any level of protection on the labels?

breninbeener

I have some Troy Lee under shorts. They have lots of comfortable padding, and a v thin chamois.

They seem lighter than normal lycra shorts. They are mqchine washable and sections of the armour are removable.

Ian

alan1977
    Free Member

im guessing the endura’s are machine washable.. i cant imagine i put them away without doing so…
    no idea on the level of protection offered… you’d need to research that yourself

Marko

I’ve 2 pairs of these. The larger side pad is a hard shell type material, the upper side pad is more of a foam like material. Saved my thigh the other week.

You’ll need to be handy with a needle and thread though, as the pads try to escape from the mesh material that holds them in place. No chamois.

bsims
    Free Member

My fox Titan race shorts are comfortable and I don’t find them much worse than standard liners. I have crashed twice in them and the bruising pain went away in days verses weeks pre hip padding. In the first crash I ripped the corner of the padding off but it doesn’t seem to affect their performance. They also have a vestigial tail protector too.

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/helmets-protection/body-armour/fox-clothing-titan-race-undershort-in-charcoal__25393?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=07488-028-L&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2eSSuP-19AIVdo9oCR2OjQcqEAQYASABEgKRj_D_BwE

1timmy1
    Free Member

Thanks for the post so far, I’ll have a look into those options.

Northwind

bsims
    Free Member

They also have a vestigial tail protector too.

Good idea that, I broke my vestigial tail a few years back and it was horrible

paton
    Free Member
    Paceman
    Free Member

I have a couple of pairs of the Troy Lee ones, used them regularly for the last two years on rotation since I’ve been on Anticoagulant meds, they’ve lasted well and done the job when called upon. The chamois pad is pretty thin, that would be my only complaint, but it works ok. No probs washing in the machine either.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hip protection liner shorts’ is closed to new replies.