Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hip pack recommendations.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Riding on my own I don’t require anything as I carry it on my bike/person. However riding with the kids and needing extra spare inner tubes/tons of Haribo and other paraphernalia means I’m looking at hip packs. Gave up on camelbak and rucsacs years ago. I just don’t like riding with them. Any recommendations? I like the look of Weecog but pricey in comparison to others.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have an Evoc that is very good, keep it ready to ride for MTB jaunts, it’s very stable, takes a bit of weight, but in use I’m not aware of wearing it.

I also got the PSA terra nova one, which I keep packed for family rides, spares for our 3 bikes. It’s not as robust, but lighter, when the time comes and we’re allowed, I’ll use it for hill/fell races too.

easygirl

I’ve got a Osprey seral 7 that has been used once that I am selling

scotroutes

I use an Ortlieb. Comfy, fully waterproof and built to survive the zombie apocalypse.

Jordan

Evoc hip pack pro 3 here. Can’t fault it.

modchop
    Free Member

+1 for the Evoc (Hip Pack Pro here), you genuinely forget it’s there as the waist belt is elasticated so moves with you.

stevemorg2

I’ve an Osprey Seral which I’m really pleased with but if you want one for kit rather than water I’m selling a really nice Lowe Alpine one – can send pics if you want

alpin
    Free Member

I have the evoc hip pack. It’s OK.

Was in Decathlon recently and picked up their hip pack for the GF. Impressed. It’s a bit larger than the evoc, which is good as the GF carries all manner of shit that I don’t – this might be a bonus with kids in tow. It comes with a 1,5 litre bladder and uses the same mouthpiece as evoc/osprey. Has padding mesh stuff to help with air flow.

For the money it’s great. More than half the price of an evoc.

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ve got the Dakine Hot Laps 2L and it’s been great.

joepud
    Free Member

Another one using the Evoc one. If you get one make sure you get the new one with the “ventiflap” that lets you pull the a little tighter.

ta11pau1

Hip Pack pro – another +1

Only issue is with a full bladder there’s not much room left in the main compartment.

The ventiflap system is great, loosen it for climbs, pull it tighter for descents. I don’t notice I’m wearing on once riding.

lotto
    Free Member

Evoc seems to be the consensus but I’ve always been happy with any decathlon gear I’ve bought. Great VFM.

matt_outandabout

Ancient Lowe Alpine of indeterminate age (25 years?) here. I’ve two as we use them canoeing.

It just works. I can get repair kit, pump, waterproof, buff and bags sweeties/banana in there.

Water on frame.

For local road or short rides, it’s ace.

DezB
    Free Member

I had a Leatt one, which was a really nicely made bit of kit. 3L bladder too (bit heavy fully laden.) But the pockets etc were really well laid out.
    I prefer backpacks, so sold the Leatt on the classifieds for a bargain price last week. Might be able to find a cheapish one on the German sites.

rugbydick

Dakine Hot Laps 5L here.
    Sits pretty well. Rarely put anything in it and it cinches down nicely… but good to have capacity to throw an emergency jacket / flapjack in there too.

nicknameless
    Free Member

I have a camelbak LR4 – also excellent

mashr

tetrode
    Subscriber

I’ve got the Dakine Hot Laps 2L and it’s been great.

Currently looking at these myself, shame the colours aren’t exactly the nicest (unless you want a plain black…with a Stif logo on it) but otherwise looks good and inexpensive

mudfish

PM’d you easygirl

sandwicheater

Dakine Hot Laps 2L, been great and just the right size for a quick spin/essentials.

In an ideal world would prefer a second bottle holder (MTB doesn’t have a bottle mount). On a hot ride, 5oo ml doesn’t cut it.

el_boufador

I’ve got 3.
    Bontrager rapid pack. My favourite of the 3 for short rides, but minimal. Just space for some tools, a tube, a thin jacket or gilet. Bottle holder unnoticeable even with a full bottle. You need a pump on the frame or co2. Very stable and comfy, which is why it’s my favourite.

Osprey savu. Is better for longer rides, a bit more space e.g. can get a thin warm layer in. If both water bottles are full, is a bit uncomfortable until you drink some of it!

Tera nova PSA one. Best for bulky things like warm layers or bringing food. Has a pocket for a bladder but I prefer bottles so don’t use it for that.

steveh

camelbak version is best for me by some way and I’ve tried them all at some point. more comfortable and very useable space.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@mashr I had this exact issue last week and was pointed to here:

SS20 Dakine Hot Laps 2L Black

They’re only despatching on a Thursday at the moment, but it’s the only place I’m aware of that has them in stock in plain black.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hip pack recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.