Hip pack Camel/Evoc/Dakine any recommendations?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Hip pack Camel/Evoc/Dakine any recommendations?
  • jayx2a

So anyone own any of these and can share positives and negatives.

Will be using it with a bladder.

Camelbak Repack
    Evoc Hip Pack
    Dakine Low Rider

Any other options to consider?

I’ve been running the Source Hipster for the last 12 months and I’m really pleased with it. I’ve used it for all day epics to quick local thrashing, I strap my pump and spare tube to my frame so it leaves more space in the pack when on a epic loop.

Premier Icon dknwhy
    Subscriber

I have a Camelbak. Can find little fault really. Sometimes the straps loosen slightly but not sure how that compares to others.

Premier Icon DPM
    Subscriber

I’ve been using the Lowe Alpine Nijmegen 6 for the last few months. It’s simple, lightweight and stays put while riding.
    Lowe Alpine Hip Packs

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

Evoc hip pack here, very comfy, nicely ventilated, and stays put even on lumpy stuff.

It’s a bit lacking in room when you have the bladder in though.
    For shorter rides I’ve taken to using it with a bottle (it has a mesh bottle holder) and that gives me more space for my bits and bobs in the pack.

jayx2a

I do like Evoc stuff. My stage packpack has the same ventilation system and it really does work.

scotroutes

Ortlieb – using water bottle(s) as necessary.

JackHammer

Bum bags you mean?

jayx2a

Bum Bags, Fanny pack, whatever you like to call em lol

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

I’ve got the Dakine Hot laps 5L with a 2L bladder in it. used it for 3 rides now and it’s great. at the start of a ride you do have to mess around a bit with how tight you want it but once your comfortable you forget about it.

marksnook

Dakine hotlaps 5l here. Works really well and like said above once adjusted and sat in the right place it’s pretty comfy. Almost too big in a way, toying with getting a smaller one that holds a bottle so I can take that out local. I have a Lowe alpine pack with bottle that I use when out running but it’s got no internal pockets so it doesn’t suit as much for riding and carrying bits as they bounce around

i cant work out how to link to images etc.

Sorry,can’t work out how to use links,doh.

jedi

I have two. Both dakine. One had a bladder and the other has a bottle holder. Both comfy

It’s a Quecha 10 litre bumbag from Decathlon,

alpin

Got the original Evoc. Enough room for bare essentials plus a top/windproof. One bottle on the bike, second bottle in the mesh pocket.

New Evoc has space for two bottles.

GolfChick

I’ve got the camelbak and as said above, it does loosen overtime but not sure whether that’s across all of them. My super cheap lowepro doesn’t loosen. Other than that I’m very happy with it and prefer bumbags compared to backpacks.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

I have a Repack LR. Sits nice a low on the hips, doesn’t move about. I only carry water, snacks, phone, keys, and a few first aid bits in it. Don’t think I’d want tools, tube, CO2 etc it there as well, as it would start feeling a bit unstable.

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

That updated evoc pack looks good. I like the wide hol belt of my evoc rucksack

I used a montane batpack for local stuff, I like it. The two tweaks I’d make to it are to improve the cut of the hip belt attachment points (so they’re more comfortable) and to have some hip belt pockets. Newer versions seem to have solved that

woots787

I’ve just got a deuter pulse 3, initial impressions are good, comfy, side pockets are handy, well made, £33. Main issue is it comes without a bladder and the bladder costs the same as the bag. If anyone has seen square or landscape shaped cheap bladders let me know!

My Osprey seral arrived yesterday. Bought largely based on rc’s pink bike review. Looks good, first ride in Rotorua next week.

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

+1 for Dakine Hotlap 5L.
    Just don’t be tempted to strap a jacket on the bottom, just a bit too heavy.

Premier Icon tomoza
    Subscriber

Tried my Dakine Hot laps 2l for the first time this morning, really impressed so far. Comfortable, good quality, carried everything I need – tools, phone, tube, bars, tubeless repair kit, CO2 and a water bottle. I carried another bottle on the bike. I would say it great for short to medium length rides. Only downside was there was not enough room to stash my jacket when warmed up , but just tied it to the frame, so no big deal. All in all really impressed and only £25 from Tredz if you catch a code.

jayx2a

Lots of feedback and suggestions thank you. Lots to consider!

mrlebowski

Worth reading this:

4 Mini-Backpacks Tested & Reviewed For The Minimalist Mountain Biker

After trying a few hip packs over the yrs I’ve yet to find one that doesn’t flap about like a summer dress in the wind. That, & I wanted a more comfortable pack for riding led me to Wingnut. I wouldn’t use anything else now – a total game changer when it comes to comfort, moving the load off the back & onto the hips is the way to go IMHO.

zerolight

Another repack recommendation from me. I run mine 2/3 to 3/4 bladder full. Phone in there too. Snacks on the belt pockets. Stays put and is comfy.

marksnook

I quite fancy one of those from high above packs made in the states. Pricey though! Is there a made in Uk equivalent that anyone knows of?

jayx2a

Must get round to trying these after another sweaty backpack day. So all 3 I suggested are recommended on here. Choices! I don’t want to carry much. Water and tools and phone.

Will look at the smallest first lol

jayx2a

Trying the Dakine 5L which is surprisingly compact. Where does everyone have theirs sit? I tried it quite low almost with it as a belt and not sure it sits very nicely.

A bit higher up with the strap almost round my belly button seemed more comfortable on my slightly big belly!

Bought the camelbak repack LR. All is good other than a little bit of lower back ache from it vs my osprey backpack. Am I wearing it too low I wonder?

jayx2a

I think it is all shape dependent! Mine fits in the small of my back quite nicely but it’s quite high up but I guess as long as it’s comfortable!

Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

A bit higher up with the strap almost round my belly button seemed more comfortable on my slightly big belly!

How did you stop it dropping down.😚
    Kind of waist, upper hip area seems about the best point for something like this to sit does it not.

GolfChick

I have the Camelbak Palos LR 4 and as others have said the waist does loosen so will occasionally need tightening. I have assumed other packs do this but my budget lowepro doesn’t loosen to the same extent but then I never put as much inside. With the bladder in and completely full the main compartment is pretty tight to put much else in. What I’ve started doing is using my backcountry strap to mount co2 and a tube on the bike and then I chuck multitool and levers in the pack and not much else spares wise other than snacks and maybe my joby minitripod. If you have to remove a layer so long as its a baselayer you’ll just about be able to fit it inside but not much else so its really important to judge your clothing correctly or put up with the discomfort. I like the fact I can fit my phone in the side pocket so can take any pictures or look up routes super quickly. Also like the bladder it uses as can easily wash it out and fit my hand inside to give it a decent wash whcih is important as I use squash rather than water.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.