Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Hillsborough
  • MSP

Good to see charges being brought, I especially hope that Bettison rots in jail.

binners

I’m sure we can expect the usual….

MSP

Bettison and trial by (social) media, I doubt you even understand the irony. 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

one being a criminal offence, the other not. Nothing ironic to giggle about. But you carry on.

MSP

the other not

The prosecution seems to disagree.

Former SYP Ch Insp Norman Bettison will be charged over alleged lies in the aftermath

Stoner
    Free Member

He has not been charged with anything to do with “trial by media” has he? He has been charged with “offences of misconduct in public office”. Any media offence would have been a civil one. Contempt of court (by you in social media) on the other hand…definitely criminal.

When the weight of social commentary (of which your post will be part) has become prejudicial and the trial against Bettison falls, you will be happy in yourself that at least you got to tell a bunch of part-time mountain-bikers he should “rot in jail”. Would it not be more intelligent to hold-off until the fat lady yodels etc?

MSP

Hillsborough has only reached the stage where the **** cover up has been exposed and charges being brought because of the continued dialogue of “people”, the authorities, media and establishment have constantly sought to pervert justice and like you dissuade discussion which shines a light on the truth.

Marin
    Free Member

The weight of social commentary appears to be the main reason this has gone from the fans on the day being blamed completely by the police altering their statements and the press accusing them of stealing from the dead and deserving what they got. I raise my cup of tea in a sad salute to the families who have persisted in their campaign. Crack on MSP.

Stoner
    Free Member

FFS
    my comment is not about the event, the cover-up, or the defendant, but the rule of law. You want a trial, you now have a trial. Dont **** it up by prejudicing it.

Marin
    Free Member

I think it’s already very prejudiced in people’s minds especially anyone with any vague connection to the event. Discussing it here will have no effect on the outcome.

Stoner
    Free Member

Discussing it here will have no effect on the outcome.

you can convince yourself of that if you like, but your view wont count.
    If Bettison’s defence team go for it (and they will have a lot of material to work with), it will be up to the court.

Marin
    Free Member

Er exactly.

Stoner
    Free Member

not exactly.
    Every piece of prejudicial comment posted since Bettison was charged adds to the weight of material that could be used to get the case dumped.

Why on earth would you want to make that easier for his defence for the sake of getting your crowing in early?

**** it. I give up. Fill your boots. I dont have a dog in the race anyway.

zanelad
    Free Member

What’s the odds on them all developing some form of Alzheimers a la Earnest Saunders.

frankconway

When the former police officers were serving they could rely on support and legal representation from the police federstion and SYP.
    This meant that they, effectively, had unlimited representation.
    What happens this time around – hopefully this level of support will not be available.
    As for Stoner & MSP, I’m with Stoner; read the comments by Sue Hemmings – she was very clear.
    SYP were badly led by peter wright & dan crompton; wright was in charge when both orgreave & hillsborough happened and his role has been extensively covered. If he was still alive i have little doubt his name would be on the charge sheet – and rightly so.

ElShalimo

Will there be a jury?
    Will it be solely comprised of STW forumites?

zanelad
    Free Member

Will it be solely comprised of STW forumites?

Could save a lot of time and money if it was

antigee

When the former police officers were serving they could rely on support and legal representation from the police federstion and SYP.
    This meant that they, effectively, had unlimited representation.
    What happens this time around – hopefully this level of support will not be available.

so its a good thing that people who work in the public sector with an intent to do public good and are subsequently accused of acting illegally should only have limited legal representation? i guess so that’s how witch hunts work

MSP

It is debatable that these particular people intended to do public good, especially in relation to this incident.

We have a legal system that largely based on “money talks” these people are in the same boat as anyone else would be.

I don’t think that the current legal system, in terms of buying success, serves the public very well, but I don’t know what the solution is other than putting a lot more money into a public legal system.

frankconway

antigee: to clarify – they are no longer serving officers and should not be supported as if they were.
    Witch hunt? This one should be left entirely to the courts – with no prior public or social media discussion as this may be prejudicial to a fair trial.

chakaping
    Free Member

Unless something has been deleted, you’re overreacting and being a bit sanctimonious Stoner.

zanelad
    Free Member

^^^ on STW, surely not.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Isn’t this case more about “accountability” ?

frankconway

Justice?

CountZero

Isn’t this case more about “accountability” ?

Justice?

Both.

vongassit
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

Very mixed views.

I’ve not followed the evidence from the inquests in detail so my view may be too simplistic. And I share Stoners concern that such a high profile case runs the risk of being unfair – either to the accused or the victims.

The lies and cover up were genuinely shocking and should have been exposed and dealt with years ago.

The manslaughter charges I’m less sure of. Partly because we are looking back and judging the actions and decisions with the benefit of 30 years or hindsight and societal changes, especially around football crowds. People had to make decisions maybe without having all the info we have now, and in a different culture.

From a broader societal perspective, how many people are going to want to take on jobs such as this, intending to keep people safe, if an error of judgement/facts causes a tragedy like this and you face personal and professional ruin in court afterwards?

Not intending to defend anything indefensible, more whataboutery, I want to stress.

And supposing it goes to court and a jury presented with all the facts doesn’t find them guilty? Where does that leave the families of the victims who have so much pinned on successful prosecutions?

Stoner
    Free Member

The manslaughter charge is a test of gross negligence. An assessment of decision making, not measured by the consequences. And it’s going to be a very very high hurdle of culpability to test.

Of course whether the court has the same information as those accused at the time, or even if prosecution can be trusted not to try and drop information into court that would not have been known at the time.

MoreCashThanDash

Proving gross negligence, beyond a reasonable doubt, purely on the facts available at the time will be a big hurdle, as you say.

Hence my concern for the families if it’s not guilty.

I reckon the jury may struggle to reach a verdict and we may get into the realm of a retrial.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bettison has always been a ****. And nothing will really happen to any of those charged. Certainly no jail time. They’ve already served their time in the force so they can’t lose their jobs.

As a scouser and a Liverpool season ticket holder who lives in Liverpool, I have to confess to having Hillsborough fatigue. I’m not proud of it but it’s true.

outofbreath
    Free Member

And supposing it goes to court and a jury presented with all the facts doesn’t find them guilty?

Which seems highly likely in Duckenfield’s case, since he’s already been tried for manslaughter once 17 years ago [1] and AFAIK this latest enquiry didn’t identify any relevant evidence that hadn’t already been identified in the Taylor enquiry.

[1] http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/trial.shtm

martinhutch

There is always an element of chance with juries, and this case is bound up with so much emotion that I wouldn’t be too confident of an acquittal.

Obviously Duckenfield was told there would be no retrial back in 2000 after the jury failed to reach a verdict. Is this a reversal of that decision or a fresh ‘double jeopardy’ prosecution brought under the rules surrounding ‘new and compelling’ evidence? Presumably no acquittal means the state can have another go whenever they feel like it.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Obviously Duckenfield was told there would be no retrial back in 2000 after the jury failed to reach a verdict. Is this a reversal of that decision or a fresh ‘double jeopardy’ prosecution brought under the rules surrounding ‘new and compelling’ evidence? Presumably no acquittal means the state can have another go whenever they feel like it.

According to the BBC a judge has to decide if a second go is allowed, personally I’d have thought this is exactly the kind of case the double jeopardy laws were there to prevent. (No new evidence, politically motivated prosecution.)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Too late to edit, but I cant find the BBC article and google doesn’t really conclusively settle whether the lack of verdict in the previous trial makes a new trial possible without any impediment.

See next post. 🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

Nope, I was right first time:

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) must apply to the High Court to lift an order imposed after he was prosecuted privately in 1999, which must be removed before he can be charged.

An application will be made to the High Court in a matter of weeks and a senior judge will make a ruling in due course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-40419819

jambalaya
    Free Member

This has taken far far too long. I personally welcome the prosecutions, now it is time for the courts to decide.

MoreCashThanDash

Topic came up at work today, and a colleague unexpectedly revealed that he’d been in the ground at the time as a young Forest fan – first time I’ve spoken to someone with such direct knowledge.

His opinion was that while the Liverpool fans were not to blame for what happened, having seen fans pushing to get in he could understand how the wrong decisions could have been made that led to the tragedy, and manslaughter would be hard to prove to a criminal level

Marin
    Free Member

There’s no crowing Stoner from me or anyone I know or have spoken to. I live 15 minutes from Anfield and had friends at the ground hence the sad salute with my cup of tea.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Hillsborough’ is closed to new replies.