Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Hill walking – recommend me some kit
  • CraigW
    Free Member

Worth getting a nice hat and gloves. It can make a big difference in rubbish weather.
    I like my Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap – it is waterproof, pretty warm, and has a peak which helps keep the rain off my face.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Nobeer, I have Northface (very good) and prior to that Salomon which lasted donkey’s years till the soles wore out. See what’s in the sales.

twixhunter
    Free Member

Not exactly kit but have a look on the Mountain Rescue website for their advice. Start small and never be afraid to turn back if you’re not feeling confident or you’re worried about the weather – which can change quickly on the high hills.

Get more than one base layer so you can get changed after the inevitable sweaty backpack back. Same maybe for socks depending on the distance and weather outlook.

Maybe invest in a few decent water/tea carrying flasks and bottles that are sturdy enough to withstand being dropped. Your backpack will inevitably be really heavy if you take alot of fluid but its a good feeling as this reduces through the day with the more you drink.

timc
    Free Member

There is no shortage of great brands, many listed above.

2 additional things I would consider,

Firstly the fit of garments, fit, cut, styling can vary a lot across brands, try before you buy, lots of outdoor shops, its not unusual to be between sizes across certain brands & find neither an ideal fit.

Secondly, the various technology, your spoilt for choice these days, various forms of gore-tex, e-vent, polotec neo Sheild for waterproofs, power stretch, power dry etc for a fleece base or mid layer, again look at them in the shops & try them on.

I would second a good pair of boots / gloves / hat at this time of year though!

km79
    Free Member

You do not need to spend a lot of money to get kitted up in basic but good gear for the hills. Budget offerings from Craghoppers (Fleeces and trousers), Keela and Decathlon will see you fully kitted out in brand new and durable gear for a fraction of the cost of main brands.

Boots/shoes are where I would spend money on, no substitute for trying on as many as you can get your hands on. Buy the best and most comfortable you can afford.

loddrik
    Free Member

An avowed Paramo fan here although it isn’t for everyone. For people who have reservations of the ‘traditional’ Paramo fit, the newer stuff has addressed this and is bang up to date. I’ve just bought a new Alta 3 jacket and the fit is light years away from the Alta 2, which is why I bought one TBH.

40mpg

Cheers, all good stuff.

Being a sweaty bugger, are the rucksacks with the mesh back panels and gap to the sack any good? Do they stop sweaty back syndrome?

noltae
    Free Member

I really like sitting mats – hardly a necessity but a great bit of kit which cost next to nothing – a few hiking buddies of mine poo pooed them initially but after trying out mine they’ve all bought one – A nice little luxury when one stops for a brew – you have to stop for brew ..

scotroutes

Mesh panelled rucksacks work well but aren’t recommended for scrambling or climbing as they hold the weight too far from the body.

slowoldman

Things have come on since my earliest days on the hills – Aran jumper, cord breeches, wax jacket and, de riguer, red socks.

Modern kit, even the cheapest, is brilliant by comparison. My standard kit is
    Helly Hansen vests
    Light fleece
    Rab softshell jacket
    Mammut Basejump trousers
    Cheap Pertex windsmock
    Rab Event jacket
    Arcteryx overtrousers

(or if it’s really hot, Coolmax top and Rohan shorts)

Hat, gloves
    Map, compass, headtorch, whistle (though on well known walks in good conditions I might not bother).

I’ve always preferred close fitting sacs, I think they carry better. Usually an Arcteryx Needle with a water proof inner bag.
    Sigg bottles, Vango stainless steel flask.

In winter I add
    North Face down vest or Mountain Equipment duvet depending on conditions
    Extra hat and gloves (possibly Dachstein mitts)
    Silk inner gloves
    2 man bivi shelter

If it’s really grim I might wear long johns, fleece salopettes, a heavier Berghaus Mera Peak jacket – or stay in!

Boots and socks
    3 season – Scarpa SL, Coolmax inner socks and Bridgedale outers
    Winter – Scarpa Manta, Coolmax inners and Thorlo mountaineering socks.
    Axe and crampons if conditions require them.

If you want to get out in the snow it depends where you are going. Stomping around in soft snow on flat ground, or modest gradients, you’ll be OK in boots alone. A pair of trekking poles can be useful. Once it starts getting steep, technical, exposed, hard snow/ice, that’s when you’ll be needing proper winter gear and the knowledge to use it without stabbing yourself.

dragon
    Free Member

Mesh panelled rucksacks work well

Not in my experience, waste of time you still get sweaty and they definitely mess with your center of gravity.

I really like sitting mats

+1 and they double up to provide lightweight rucksacks a bit of extra back padding.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Not in my experience, waste of time you still get sweaty and they definitely mess with your center of gravity.

I agree with that. Completely pointless and they make the pack an annoying shape to pack.

matt_outandabout

And another. I love my simple Lowe Alpine and Karrimor Alpiniste bags with flat, padded, simple backs.

peachos
    Free Member

Montane is probably my favourite kit manufacturer – very well designed IMO, especially their mountaineering / climbing gear. The featherlite smock is a great bit of kit that gets used all the time – weighs nothing, makes a great outer shell with just a base layer if very active or add over multiple layers if moving slower and not raining.

I’ve got some size 42 approach shoes for sale if anyone is interested? £35 posted. They’re unused, just a bit big for me. Berg Serval – got them off Sports Pursuit. Don’t know much about the brand, but look decent & have a ‘climbing zone’ on the toe so good for scrambling/standing on thin edges. Vibram sole.

http://img34.staticclassifieds.com/images_tablicapl/291035491_3_644x461_buty-berg-meskie-43-buty_rev001.jpg

http://img34.staticclassifieds.com/images_tablicapl/291035491_4_644x461_buty-berg-meskie-43-moda_rev001.jpg

timc
    Free Member

I have both types of pack, I didn’t buy the Lowe Alpine airzone based on its mesh back but simply based on comfort when trying on. Id agree when working hard in mild climates I struggle to feel any real benefit, I do however find it good in very cold conditions for helping regulate temps, odd I know but my experience.

Personally no issues when scrabbling with a mesh pack, but I travel light & I’m a big lad, personally I would go with comfort first & foremost.

squirrelking
    Free Member

On Karrimors – I got a pair and you get sweaty in them, not as breathable as they look but good for cooler weather. Sod wearing them in summer though. My 18+ yr old Merrell moon boots on the other hand are great in summer, go figure.

Might nab some of those Merrell Ridgepasses though, look identical to the Karrimors but not Tight Bastly made…

inbred853

Just bought a new Paramo Helki which seems a fair bit lighter than my previous one, got £50 off as well for recycling my old one!
    Pretty much any gear you buy from an outdoor retailer will suffice for hillwalking, however you can never stop the jeans and t-shirt brigade walking up the fan in December!!

ElShalimo

@Loddrik – how are you getting on with the Alta 3 jacket?
    I’ve been looking at one for winter walking

robj20
    Free Member

Love my mesh backed pack, Osprey Exos, really keeps my back dry, and really comfy.

welshfarmer

A pair of wellies, a sheepdog and a dose of common sense. About all you need really 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

A pair of wellies, a sheepdog and a dose of common sense. About all you need really

only if you insist on going over-prepared!

Proper hill walkers do it in a pair of flip-flops and a copy of Pigeon Fancier’s Monthly shoved up their string vest.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Hill walking – recommend me some kit’ is closed to new replies.