Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Hilarious objections: Peak NIMBY reached!
  • finbar
    Free Member

It reminds me of wise words from my DAD years ago, when i fancied a girl at school who was the horse type but she had rejected me. “They are the untouchable on the uneatable that only associate with their own kind ” “Don’t bother with her son there’s plenty more fish in the sea.”

You’ve just reminded me of my first girlfriend, who was a regular on the hunt and had a penchant for wearing jodphurs and knee-high black leather riding boots on every occasion 😉

kcr
    Free Member

They cannot be trained to perfection and can spook at the weirdest of things. They are to be respected

Seems like it would be sensible to restrict large animals that cannot be trained reliably to private land?

chakaping
    Free Member

And that might be the case if horse riding were invented today, but equestrians kind-of have prior claim and not many small children get kicked to death (especially compared to the car-related death toll), so the gracious thing to do is just…
    null

kcr
    Free Member

Prior claim to what?

funkmasterp

Typical bloody horse. Whilst the humans wave at one another it just stands there refusing to do the same

tjagain

They cannot be trained to perfection and can spook at the weirdest of things. They are to be respected.

They can be trained a lot better than they are tho.

In the netherlands I passed horses that didn’t spook at bicycles, police horses do not spook at paper bags etc etc.

andy5390

Pffft!!! They don’t even pay road tax

Rich_s

Prior claim to what?

Oooo, I don’t know. Stuff like bridleways for example?

Edukator
    Free Member

Even once they’re trained horses need to be regularly ridden. Many if not most recreational horses spend far too much time in the comfort zone of their stable or field. Taking them out can be “exciting” and requires discretion about where you go and what you do with them. No way would I take Roberto down the Derwent trail, I know I’m taking a risk riding him and it would be totally unacceptable to expose others to that risk in the confines of a busy railway trail. Jazz on the other hand, he’d be fine, a similar risk to having a well-trained dog on a lead.

The comment by the jockey of the grand national winner amused me when asked about the horse’s character, “he’s not a horse you’d stand in front of”.

willard

Horses can/will get spooked at the strangest things. One I used to look after had a thing about crisp packets. When it saw one in a hedge, it would just stare t it and kind of rotate its body around it rather than walk past. Bloody stupid animal. Also kicked people, specifically me.

I agree with Edukator’s comment. If they are exercised regularly around other things, then they are [generally] less likely to get spooked. This one just sat in a field until the owner (ex-wife) could be bothered to take it for a ride out.

Not bitter. Nope. No way.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Hilarious objections: Peak NIMBY reached!’ is closed to new replies.