Hiking with a dog

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hiking with a dog
  • Tom B

My cockapoo is approaching 1 now and I’m hoping to build him up to being able to come out with me in the mountains.

We did three hours around the Roaches (White Peak) today which he loved, and was still running around with just as much energy at the end as the start!

I’d like to build him up to be able to come out with me on any none scrambling days that I do in Snowdonia and the Lake District, when I can be out for up to 6/7 hours with lunch and coffee stops…..will a cockapoo be suitable for that sort of distance? Any tips for snacks etc for him would be great too. Not sure how to post pics up or I’d pop some pics up….. he’s a proper character!

somouk

So long as you build them up to it then they will adapt to it all generally. They will be tired after that amount of time out though and if hte dog decides to stop don’t force it to continue. Ours is good at telling us when it doesn’t want to walk any more!

Snacks wise it will depend on what your snacking policy is with the dog, we only give snacks in reward and whenever we take the dog out on long walks we don’t feed him until his normal feeding times and normal food. He does however really enjoy that meal. If we’re stopping for a proper lunch in the middle of the walk then we might take him some lunch too but that’s about it.

matt10214

Just go for it!

I park at Osmotherley and walk my Vizsla/GSP cross and GSP miles across the moor as there’s no cattle grazing like there is in the Peak (which is local to me) both just have their usual breakfast bowl. Last time I was there at Xmas my brother & sister in law took their Border Terrier and she was fine too.

Enjoy!

supernova

Can’t beat hiking with a dog. Just remember all dogs chase sheep, some are just better at than others.

In the past I used one of those belt things the lead attaches to so its hands free. It means she doesnt run as much so will happily out walk me!

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

This thread needs more photos.

elsketcho

I think most breeds of dog could do it. We used to walk our basset hounds over Dartmoor, 5/6 hour walks a couple of times a year and they loved it. Admittedly, the following day they’d look at you with disgust if you showed them their lead, but the day after that they’d be happy to do it all over again.

rene59

Too many dogs out in the hills these days annoying the **** out of everyone else as their owners don’t have a clue or any manners. Don’t be one of those people. Keep it on a lead if it can’t be brought to heal instantly with a single command. Most importantly don’t let it run ahead and slobber over other hikers who are sitting eating their piece minding their own business. Get your own food dog, this is mine.

Tom B

…… we’ll be hiking in places where we’re unlikely to bump into many people….

we’ll be hiking in places where we’re unlikely to bump into many miserable bastards people….

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber
    roper

I have an 8 month old Parson’s Jack Russell which loves to be on the move. She can walk for hours and has started to come out on short bike rides. Dogs won’t always show that they are tired, hurt or cold so you do have to be observant. If you know your dogs character well you should be able to gauge her fitness after a few outings. Enjoy the adventures.

Had my rescue Korelian Bear Dog 5 months and slowly worked him upto doing Snowdon Llanberis path. Was on his lead the whole time, he was fine but crashed out in the van on the way home!
    The biggest issue was taking enough water for him as he gets warm quickly.

free dice online

rene59

Had my rescue Korelian Bear Dog 5 months and slowly worked him upto doing Snowdon Llanberis path.

How many bears are there in Wales to hunt that you need a dog bred for that purpose?

Premier Icon AD
    Subscriber

Probably just looking for packrats with sandwiches to harass…

Premier Icon sboardman
    Subscriber

We take ours all over and they love it. Definitely second a belt for you and would suggest a good fitting harness for the dog. Makes it a lot easier for them and you if the need to be on lead. I’d also recommend a poop pot or similar if you’re in spots where stick and flick isn’t the done thing so you’re not just carrying bags around.

phil5556

We take our Cocker for decent days out, one of the longer ones was 8ish hours up Suilven a couple of years ago. He loves coming with us and must run at least 3 times the distance.

Bit tired after

Build up slowly though, after a year we started with just a couple of hour not too long walks and built up from there.

phil5556

And I’d definitely recommend a harness, easier to lift them over things etc.

We got one after this scree incident – he went up there fine, but freaked out coming down so we had to take it in turns to carry him…..

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

You will be fine and have some great times together. Just make sure he’s trained including carrying his own stuff

Fins 5 now and we have had some great rides and hikes together

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

^my favourite book ever. If our new pup was going to be a boy it would have been called Boogie.

Tom B

They really are the best aren’t they!!! Cheers for the tips folks, I’ll look into a belt and hopefully work out how to post some pics from our adventures.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.