Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Hiking/overnight backpack track world
  • Premier Icon marksnook

Been getting out for a couple over night hikes and am looking for a back pack to carry all my gear, currently got a big 65 litre pack that is not great packed half full so I’ve been taking an extra sleeping bag and extra layers just to try fill it! Also got a 25 litre pack that is way too small unless I only take sleeping stuff.
    So I’m thinking somewhere around the 45 litre mark could be ideal?
    Rough kit list is: tarp, bivvy bag, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, stove, pans, waterproofs, insulated, jacket, food/water, maps etc, bivvy/tarp gets replaced with small tent sometimes.

Overly picky list of requirements goes something like:
    Hip belt pockets (not entirely essential but I like them)

Side pockets deeper than a coke can so a bottle will actually fit in them

Fairly quick access to waterproofs

Bladder compatible

Budget around 100 but not entirely set in stone. So any recommendations?
    I have seen a montane pack (trail blazer 44 I think) which I like the idea of as it looks running pack comfy. Other than that is the standard answer osprey talon or something similar?!
    Is 45 litre the right ballpark to aim for?

Premier Icon grum

No specific recommendations cos I use my Ortovox ski touring pack but 45 litres is a good size imo. Can be a bit small if you’re taking lots of food but I’ve always managed for a night or two.

Premier Icon euain

STW Answer – I’m very happy with my Osprey Kestrel 48 Osprey Site.

Seems to fit all your requirements (side, belt pockets, bladder etc). I’ve taken almost the same kit list as you a few times (though it was a 2-man tent attached to the bottom of the bag not a tarp).

I am sure I paid a lot less than the £155 RRP as well – so could be about in budget.

Premier Icon fasthaggis

I have a Gregory Zulu 35l,it’s spacious,super light and has easy fit adjustment.So maybe look at their 45l (Maven) which looks good.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Capacity depends on duration and season. For a single night out of winter, 25L would be enough. I’ve a 45L Mountain Hardware pack that would do me for longer/colder trips.

Premier Icon tjagain

I have lightwave rucksacs – seriously comfy and very light.

Personally I like not to have my rucsac stuffed full so its easier to pack

I use a 70l pack but have gone away with 6 days food before now ( thats a lot of volume and weight) I find 45 l a little small unless its one summer night and thats with a baseweight ( rucsac, all camping kit etc of 6 kgs)

Edit – the bag I have has restriction straps to reduce volume if needed and also packs up well at around 50l even tho its 70l nominal.

Premier Icon marksnook

My large hiking pack at 65 litres is just not great half full. So trying to avoid that option! It will do for now I guess though. I cannot fit all my kit for an over night in 25 litres! Packed a friends 30 litre bag last night and all my kit just about went in except food and water. So 100% aiming for 40 or above. Like tj said I don’t want it stuffed tight but don’t want loads of space and baggy either!
    The longer I look the more they all look the same! Keep looking between Lowe alpine airzone stuff, montane trail blazer and osprey talon

Premier Icon tjagain

Check the weights of the bags – my 70l lightwave is 1.5 kilos LESS than my 45l Berghaus

Its also totally waterproof unlike other bags I have used – I mean 12 hours in pouring rain without a drop getting into the bag

the lightwave ones I find so much better than anything else I have used – they do smaller ones

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/products/rucksacks/lightwave-rucksacks

Oh – and N+1 applies to rucsacs as well – I think I have 7 now!

Premier Icon marksnook

Yeah I think n+1 is the way to go! The fastpack 40 fits a good amount of the criteria to be fair

Premier Icon grum

I’m a big fan of a bag that can open all the way round like a suitcase. Saves having to get everything out to get one thing out.

Hence why I use this

https://www.alpinstore.com/en/amp/product/370780-backpack-orotovox-peak-45-safety-blue.phtml

Premier Icon slowoldman

Like tj said I don’t want it stuffed tight but don’t want loads of space and baggy either!

Any sac worth having will have compression straps so shouldn’t really get baggy if it’s a bit bigger than required. You certainly shouldn’t have to pad one out with extra kit. But 45l sounds about right.

Premier Icon boriselbrus

I have a Sierra Designs Flex capacitor.

I can’t fault it. Just over a kg but really well made and one of the most comfortable rucksacks I’ve ever used.

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Some good recommendations above. We discussed it on the hiking thread recently too….I ended up with an Osprey Exos 58 from @nobeerinthefridge….could’ve gone smaller but it’ll be nice and versatile.

In summer you’d get away with a Talon 33 with that kit list…..I really struggle to get my tent in mine though, hence wanting something bigger.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I replaced the exos with a Sierra designs flex capacitor 40-60, as my mate has one and it really ticked all my boxes.

For decent weather, I can do 2 nights in my 36l osprey Stratos, but it’s 400g heavier than the bigger flex capacitor, as tj says, worth thinking about.

70l TJ? wtf are you taking? 😂 I had 5 days with all food in the cairngorms in june, all my cold weather gear in the 48l pack, nae bother.

Premier Icon ffati
    Free Member

I have a old osprey mutant 28 which is big enough to pack climbing gear and over nigbt kit for a cold couple of nights on a alpine north face i have a prototype lowe alpine that i was given years ago about 40ish litres thats big enough for doing a weeks worth of d of e with my mrs’s school.

Have a 70 ltr rucksack i was given for a trip 10 years ago and have never used it since

Premier Icon tjagain

No beer – Im an old man – I need my comforts! Werthers take up lots of room

Actually I could get it all in a 55 I am sure with room to spare and have had it in a 45 but its nice to have all that room – the bag works fine at 55 l. 70 l would be bulging out of the top.

Free Member

Fair dos.

Another thing to consider with lightweight packs is their ability to carry weight, lightweight generally means less padding too.

I’m a lazy hiker, I hate stopping to get stuff out my pack, it’s taken me a wee while to realise that!. So I like lots of pockets within reach, the flex capacitor has two stretchy pockets on the main straps at chest height, perfect for water bottles (hydration bladders are a no for me – pain in the arse to filter) and has a really good waist belt with pockets, and two lower pockets on the side of the pack that are reachable too.

So I only ever have to stop to put water proofs on, and tbh unless you’re wearing a full smock, you’re taking your pack off anyway.

I really like the zip bucket lid too, far better than the usual draw string and buckles, but obviously less water proof (everything in my pack is organized in dry bags, natch).

I am however, a bit of an osprey fanboi though!

Premier Icon tjagain

my lightwave rucsac is the comfiest I have ever used despite what appears to be minimal padding

Premier Icon marksnook

I’m clearly not spending as much as you lot on super light small packing gear!
    Or maybe I’m packing wrong?! I have an osprey talon 25 and I can get tarp, sleeping bag, liner, sleeping mat and an insulated jacket in there. Could maybe fit a few smaller bits in between stuff and on top but not much more. Got a discount code through which made the montane trailblazer about half of budget so ordered that to see what it’s like.
    I’m a bit of a osprey fanboy as well, after buying a riding pack, a riding hip pack and a day pack I was sold!
    The hiking thread went the same way as the running thread for me, just way too much to keep up with so don’t look too often!

Premier Icon ffati
    Free Member

Ive not spent a lot on ligbt gear my summer sleepingbag is a fake mountain equipment i got for about £40 in peru. What my main lightweight saving is the stuff i leave at home costs me nothing and weight is f-all

Free Member

Or maybe I’m packing wrong?! I have an osprey talon 25 and I can get tarp, sleeping bag, liner, sleeping mat and an insulated jacket in there.

My tent is strapped to the bottom of the 36, sleeping bag isn’t ridiculously small, I don’t use a liner, and my Exped mat rolls down to about the size of a beer can.

I don’t tend to take much in the way of clothing, boxers and socks, everything else is worn for however many days I’m out. Then it’s just waterproofs and food/cooking gear, and chargers/cables/ torch etc.

I could get a lot more in if I spent time attacking some more bungee etc, get the sleep mat and a few other things outside the pack.

Premier Icon tjagain

No beer – it does not count as having everything in a tiny rucksac if you actually end up with the biggest heaviest stuff tied to the outside!

Free Member

Why do they put straps on them then?.

As it is,I only have my tent, but tbh, it fits inside if I really wanted it to. It doesn’t really matter a ****, I’ve still got to carry it!.

More sensible than carrying a massive pack that’s 1/3 empty.

Premier Icon marksnook

I do like it all to be inside the pack to be fair! I’ve only got a cheap summer bag so use the liner to add a bit of warmth. Sleeping bag is probably next on the list to be honest as I want to keep camping for a while yet

Premier Icon scotroutes

Straps are certainly handy for carrying wet (and/or muddy) gear. That might include a tent I guess.

Premier Icon tjagain

my bag has a separately accessed waterproof compartment which is where wet kit goes 🙂

I do strap my chair to the outside for easy access 🙂

Free Member

Need somewhere to sit while sooking those werthers…. 😂

Premier Icon tjagain

🙂

Hiking chairs are the best thing ever. under 200 grammes for a comfy seat. that will do me

Free Member

One of those helinox numbers? They look good.

Premier Icon tjagain

Thermarest. much lighter than the helinox ones I have seen. Mine is an older and lighter version
    https://www.thermarest.com/ie/seating/chair-kits/trekker-chair/trekker-chair.html

Free Member

OP – this is the one I’ve gone for, on multi days. Murder getting a hold of them, I set up an ebay alert, fortunately a shop came up with one a few days later.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/rucksacks-c19/all-rucksacks-c134/flex-capacitor-40-60l-rucksack-p13802

Premier Icon hopster
    Free Member

Lovely custom UK made backpacks, er if you have the money. Atompacks

Free Member

Been following them for a while now, they are well made, light, I bet they work tremendously, but they most certainly ain’t winning any beauty prizes!.

They had a big white one recently that looked as if it should have a freezer compartment!

Premier Icon drdjpower

Continuing the tradition of recommending what you have already… I have an OMM which ticks all your boxes. I have used it for 2-3 day trips with the same sort of kit you mention, plus food. I think it’s this one:

https://theomm.com/product/classic-32/

It says 32l, but it’s generous.

Premier Icon slowoldman

If the OMM sacs are anything as good as the original KMM they will be brilliant. My old KMM is going strong after many years of abuse despite looking and feeling very lightweight. Despite the minimal back (just a bit of padding) it carries extremely well too.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.