Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Highway Code changes for close passes etc
  • Premier Icon DezB

Couldn’t see a thread on this. Follow this link from Cycling UK to send an email to the DoT for the proposed changes. Very easy to do.
    Thought the resulting letter was pretty good myself.

https://action.cyclinguk.org/page/64572/action/

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Done.

Premier Icon Superficial
    Free Member

That was easy. Thanks.

Premier Icon DezB

👍

Premier Icon dmck16
    Free Member

Perfect timing – I logged on to STW to start a thread whinging about the frequency of pointless close passes I currently seem to suffer. One day I won’t be so lucky, hospital beckons.

Signed and sent. Very easy to do too.

Premier Icon DezB

STWHannah on the ball eh? 🙂

Premier Icon scaredypants

Until the HC becomes recognised as a point of reference (for the legal system) for what good (or even minimally competent) driving looks like, it’s not much help IMO

(or are DfT proposing that too ?)

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Not really sure what difference it will make having anything written in the highway code.
    Do you think the drivers that are doing the close passes are keeping up to date on highway code changes over the years or even care about them?

Premier Icon aP
    Free Member

Is course they won’t. However, what it does do is change the assessment of fault. When drivers (hopefully) start to get fined and points on the licenses then behaviours will change.
    If we have learnt anything over the last few years it’s that carrot doesn’t work, it has to be the stick.

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

I’m not sure I understand. If you’re a cyclist and squeeze up the left of a turning bus and end up underneath it how is that the bus drivers fault?

This is just a lazy way of avoiding fixing bad road infrastructure.

Premier Icon scaredypants

If we have learnt anything over the last few years it’s that carrot doesn’t work, it has to be the stick.

I believe the HC has no status in law (some of its “advice” reflects law but that’s different). Pretty sure I’ve heard of juries being instructed NOT to use it in reaching a decision

Premier Icon DezB

Yeah, but can it really HURT to have laws/rules/guidance in the highway code which favours cyclists?
    What about the fact that learner drivers are taught, have to learn, what the highway code says – so to have it etched in the minds of (some) 17 years olds, starting out on the road, that these are the rules of the road… surely that’s gotta be a good thing?

Premier Icon superjohn71
    Free Member

I believe the HC has no status in law (some of its “advice” reflects law but that’s different). Pretty sure I’ve heard of juries being instructed NOT to use it in reaching a decision

When I went on my naughty boy course (speed awareness – 82 on a motorway) I was told the exact opposite, i.e. the HC isn’t legislation, but ignoring its rules can evidence dangerous driving in court.

Premier Icon DezB

Zactly.
    So, if they decided to amend the Highway Code and take out all the stuff that keeps cyclists safe, you “what’s the point” types would not object? Cos it’s all meaningless?

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

It is all meaningless. The amount of shit driving I see every time I am out on my bike is proof of that. The highway code is something people have to learn/remember for their test and after that it goes out of the window (probably aimed at a passing cyclist)

Note I am not talking about laws and if a law was put in that made it illegal to get nearer that 2 metres to a cyclist when passing them I would be in full agreement of that law.

Premier Icon joepud

I’m not sure I understand. If you’re a cyclist and squeeze up the left of a turning bus and end up underneath it how is that the bus drivers fault?

I think technically the bus is turning so creating the hazard so it would be the drivers fault. However, trying to pass any vehicle on the inside thats turning isn’t a smart idea.

Serious education of drivers they seem to lack any sort of knowledge when it comes to rules around cycling. My dream is anyone found guilty of a close pass must stand in the middle of the road and have cars pass them at 30mph from behind so they can understand what its like.

Premier Icon joepud

It is all meaningless. The amount of shit driving I see every time I am out on my bike is proof of that. The highway code is something people have to learn/remember for their test and after that it goes out of the window (probably aimed at a passing cyclist)

This 100%. Just today at a T junction I turned into a road only to be met by a lady who decided she didn’t want to sit in traffic any more so decided to drive on the wrong side of the road so she could turn right. Its like at what point in rush hour London did you think that was a good idea!

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

The problem isn’t the Highway Code, though I’ll support any changes to it that improve my chances.

The problem is a lack of retesting, and a lack of consistent, effective roads policing.

Get Police on the roads, pulling over every speeder, phone user, close passer etc, give them points and then bans at 12 points, no exemptions. If they drive when banned, crush the car in front of them.

People need to understand the responsibility that comes with a license, and the inconvenience of living without one.

And I say this as someone who would probably fail a retest, and probably does drift over the speed limit more than I realise. I’m not special or perfect.

Premier Icon DezB

It is all meaningless. The amount of shit driving I see every time I am out on my bike is proof of that.

What a crock. Bloody over-exaggerating drama queens.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Good discussion.

Premier Icon joepud

What a crock. Bloody over-exaggerating drama queens.

Want to elaborate? You sound like someone who thinks the road is theirs. I cycle on the road every day and I see some truly shocking driving. Yes cyclists are not perfect and jump red-lights and so on but the difference is a car will do a lot more damage than a push bike.

As further proof of what Kerley said on Saturday I saw the a driver in the space of about 5 mins jump 2 red lights then stop his car in the middle of a street to have a conversation.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Did he have an up to date copy of the highway code with him?

Premier Icon belugabob
    Free Member

Its like at what point in rush hour London did you think that was a good idea!

t just about every point, TBH.
    Standards are shocking, moreso in bigger cities where people get frustrated with delays and take chances.

As for the attitude that ‘is isn’t worth it’, because presence in the highway code doesn’t mean that it a hard and fast rule, is concerned, you have to consider that a whole load of folk will use the excuse “I don’t have to leave 1.5 metres, because it’s not in the highway code”

Better in than out, I feel

Premier Icon slowoldman

Done.

Generally approve though I would prefer “recommend helmet” rather than “should wear helmet”.

Also not keen on anyone turning right from left hand lane on a roundabout. That’s an accident waiting to happen given that drivers can and will go straight on from the right hand lane.

Premier Icon Dickyboy

Read just the other day of a motorist who sped up and overtook another car in an attempt to beat a red light, he failed, killed a pedestrian instead and only got a suspended sentence, court system is bollox.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Spot on.

Cameras, though a shame to need them will help if people send them in after a near miss or shocking bit of driving.
    It’s proactive and therefore helps everybody, cyclists, walkers and the motorized users themselves.

In a habit of forcing their way through they lean towards dangerous driving if allowed to continue. It must the be up to us to help tech them the errors of their ways, and by sending footage to the law, that will be a better preventative measure.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.