Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Hightower or Ripmo af ?
  • renton
    Free Member

I’ve finally nailed it down to one of the above and just wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions on both.

Would be looking at XL I’m both frames

Hightower r build or Ripmo af slx build.

Dw link vs vpp.

Where would your money go and why ?

roach

Bird Am9 😉

muggomagic

Never ridden a VPP so can’t comment on that. The spec on the Ripmo AF SLX is a lot better than the Hightower IMO. DVO Diamond and topaz better than the lyrik rc and fox performance shock. Plus the ibis wheels, Assegai tyres and full SLX is spot on.

mboy
    Free Member

Neither… Evil Offering FTW!

Or get another S-150, but get a Large not an XL, as the XL you had was too big for you… Absolutely awesome bike for the money, but riding the wrong size isn’t going to help! 🤷🏻‍♂️

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ripmo AF, they are brilliant. Plus you dont want to be one of those santa cruz types

renton
    Free Member

Mboy : I found the length and reach etc perfect.

Just the seat tube length was too long by 2 or 3 cm. The ripmo and hightower are both shorter tubed than the s150 but have very very similar reach, ett and stack numbers.

Did actually try a large s150 but found it too cramped and needed the seat moved all the way back on its rails.

roach

How tall are you?

burner
    Free Member

Transition Sentinel v2

renton
    Free Member

Just under 6 foot 1

Shorter legs and longer body. So shorter seat tubes and longer reach etc suit me.

mashr

My hatred of pivots that run on bushes would keep me away from the Ripmo

frogstomp

What colour are they?

zezaskar
    Free Member

I’d repeat the AM9 suggestion already made above, but if for any reason you’re not fond of it, then the Ripmo AF would definitely be my first option.

Don’t mean to be a buzz killer, but can’t really find the appeal of the Hightower AL. I look at it, IMHO, as an overpriced, overweight aluminium mock-up of a carbon frame that seems to get generally lukewarm reviews.

muggomagic

My hatred of pivots that run on bushes would keep me away from the Ripmo

The bushings are covered by a free lifetime replacement for the original owner.

I think if you are spending £3.5k there are a lot of very good options out there, but it might well come down to how soon you want it and what is going to be available.

makkag
    Free Member

I’ve a raf on back order since late April in nx flavour brought an xt 12 group and code rscs for less than the slx upgrade and I can see the nx and guide ts on for a few hundred . If you don’t have one on order deore 12 will be new base and might also be spec’d with the new onyx you will be waiting till September apparently

muggomagic

I’ve a raf on back order since late April

I was lucky to get in when I did (ordered mid April and got it end of April). My local ibis shop (Evo cycles in Eastbourne) actually told me to try sunset cycles as they had none and had an inkling the dates they were getting from 2pure were unlikely to happen due to Ibis being on a state lockdown. I got my NX build for £2850 as sunset were doing 10% off and I’ve swapped from NX to Shimano XT drivetrain and SLX 4 pots and that’s worked out cheaper than the SLX build. In fact with what I’ve recouped from selling the swapped parts, I think I’m only just over what the NX retails for.

renton
    Free Member

Hmmm that’s interesting.

I was put off the base as I really don’t like NX.

However if the new base model is going to be deore then I’m quite happy to wait. However September is a long time !!

I think (if it’s in stock) I can get a slx build for £3600 or thereabouts.

Or do I wait for the jeffsy pro to come back in stock in August.

Choices choices

mashr

muggomagic
    Subscriber
    The bushings are covered by a free lifetime replacement for the original owner.

That wont help if/when they’re squeaking away under me as conditions are too wet/dusty (even the bike Enduro mag were given to test was squeaky)

makkag
    Free Member

Got mine from moose as close to me sadly I want silver and jade x as they have a large orange topaz nx in stock . Been told end of the month by moose as on back order for so long but 2 pure have been telling people September.

muggomagic

This came up on my eBay this morning.

EBay link

renton
    Free Member

Is that more expensive than normal Muggomagic or am i missing something.

muggomagic

I think the RRP is £3199 so a bit more. If moose has an orange one then I’d get in there sharpish

renton
    Free Member

I need an XL !

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re great bikes, but that’s bloody uninspiring looking!

muggomagic

Biketart apparently have an XL on eBay too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333441993677

roach

I’m 6′ 2″ and waiting for a large AM9. Looking at the geometry of the bird and the ripmo, the large am9 and the XL ripmo are the same size (st, ett, reach, wheelbase).

joebristol

I’ve heard the Ripmo is great, but it’s just a bit underwhelming to look at. I can’t quite put my finger on why.

Equally I don’t think I could bear to spend around £3500 on an alloy framed Santa Cruz with Yari’s / NX Eagle / not a great wheelset for the money.

I think I’d keep looking for a better option. This probably isn’t much help!

renton
    Free Member

I understand about the bird and how cheap you can spec it up but for some reason I cant get passed the reviews Ive seen saying its a bit flexy. As a bigger rider frame strength is important.

makkag
    Free Member

No beer that was my thoughts exactly – but reviews price point and a go on a pals changed my mind it’s certanly a sleeper

mashr

As a bigger rider frame strength is important.

Flex and strength are two very different things

renton
    Free Member

Ok well lack of frame flex is important then.

kimbers

@superfli has a Ripmo AF He loves his

superfli
    Free Member

NX Ripmo is a bargain if you can still get it. I bought mine back in March from Sunset with 10% off. Sold the NX and all parts except wheels+suspension. Bought xtr/xt 11s and carbon bars/crank, revive dropper for £150 after selling all the originals!
    As for riding it, its the plushest suspension I’ve ever had. Just irons out the roots and grips to the trail incredibly well. I have a JadeX coil (425lb nukeproof Enduro spring. I’m 150lbs naked). If you are heavy and probably are with an XL, I would consider the Topaz as the coil appears to be better suited to lighter riders although a progressive spring may sort that. The bike is a little heavy, especially std NX build, but I’ve got mine down to 33.9lb which is very respectable for an alu 29er FS. They really did put a lot of thought into the spec of the bike. The DVO suspension is superb and the components, like the wheels and Maxxis Assegai tyres (setup tubeless as std) could belong on a bike costing £5k.

I’m off the the Alps on Sat. Cant wait to see how the suspension deals with the rock gardens 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Ripmo is certainly no looker, but the Bird is awful.

I don’t know how good the aluminium Santa Cruz’s are, but the carbon HT2 was a really good bike, very comparable to my SB130 as a trail bike, but with much better manufacturer support.

I don’t like the idea of bushes rather than bearings, but then my experience has probably been tainted from the boxy Turner DHR’s back in the day. That thing was either so tight it was like being on a hardtail, or baggier than a set of 90’s rappers pants. The 2 days it was neither, was mint.

superfli
    Free Member

roach

I know the V3 frames have a stiffer rear end but I haven’t read anything about the AM9 having too much flex?

Just searched the pinkbike Aeris thread, 124 pages and nothing mentioned about flex.

roach

That Ripmo in orange does look nice but I wouldn’t buy a bike I had to change nearly everything on it!

The hassle factor definitely plays a big part in it for me.

muggomagic

What Superfli says!

Mine is down to 32lb since adding XT and swapping the tyres for Schwalbe MM and NN. Keeping the Assegais for days out on harsher terrain.
    I’d also add that despite it being a bit porky it doesn’t ride like a heavy bike and climbs so bloody well. I did a 63 mile ride over the South Downs on it a couple of weeks back and that was when I still had the Assegai on it and certainly didn’t feel like it was hard work.

I’d also add, that I rode it for a bit as standard and it was great. Just with the money I’d saved with 10% off I chose to upgrade the spec straight away.

flange
    Free Member

That Ripmo reminds me a lot of a Caliber bossnut

muggomagic

That Ripmo reminds me a lot of a Caliber bossnut

They’re the same bike just rebadged.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Hightower or Ripmo af ?’ is closed to new replies.