Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Highly rated films you just don’t rate…
  • jon1973
    Free Member

The Great Escape

IdleJon

‘the Eagles didn’t enter Mordor untill the ring was destroyed, and sauron defeated. ‘

Always the same, eagles, trying to claim all the glory after the deed is done.

jon1973
    Free Member

Always the same, eagles, trying to claim all the glory after the deed is done.

I quite liked Hotel California.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

two souls floating up to heaven. They spot a couple of eagles circling next to them and exclaim “Ah, eagles”, but the eagles were too polite to respond

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Truman Show.
    If they’d made what they did half as long, then the rest of the film about what happened after he left, it would have been better, but as it was, deadly boring.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think the way The Truman Show ended was perfect. I think the movie would have been cheapened and spoiled with the “afterwards”

MrAgreeable

Pretentious art house films seem to be getting a pasting on here, so to redress the balance, can I just say – James Bond films.

They all merge together in your head into one brilliant film, but even with the classic Sean Connery/Roger me Moore ones, when you watch them individually they’re pretty disappointing.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Slumdog millionaire

jon1973
    Free Member

They all merge together in your head into one brilliant film, but even with the classic Sean Connery/Roger me Moore ones, when you watch them individually they’re pretty disappointing.

I’d agree with that but the latest reboot is a vast improvement.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I thought Slumdog Millionaire did a good job of doing a film of a book. Not exactly the same, less gritty, but still a reasonable rendition. Plus Dev Patel has blossomed into a hottie so that was a bonus 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The Bourne films. Just loads of rushing around, with a very thin story, and no real conclusion. And that Matt Damon just looks constipated all the time.

AndyP
    Free Member

out of interest, all these ‘that’s 2 hours of my life I’ll never get back’ comments – does that mean that if you see a good film, you get that time back?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Nope, but if the 3 hours of my life are not wasted, I don’t feel the need to get them back!

grahamh
    Free Member

2 Kubrick films

Eyes wide shut, like what was the plot?
    Clockwork Orange, after all the hype about it being withdrawn by the
    director it turns out to be a big pile of poo.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Bonfire of the vanities.

I tried really hard to go to sleep in the cinema as the person I was with would not walk out. Sadly I failed.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Kill Bill 1&2, are favourites of mine, so no time soon I hope. No-one’s mentioned Dusk till Dawn, which started great and turned bad quickly for me.

That’s probably as Robert Rodriguez directed it – so not so much your taste as the films Taranteno directs.

However my least favourite sci-fi film has got to be “The Matrix” – it’s just a creepy fan-boy manifesto and bashes its single “moral” home with all the subtlety of a half brick.

It’s a Hollywood film – they can’t afford to be too subltle if big merchandising deals are in the offing, however i still feel that this film has merit in that it makes a simplifed investingation into the works of Hilary Putnam (read reason truth and history – good book) – Plus it gave all those ex Home & Away actors some work god bless em.

In conclusion: I’m not going to state a personal opinion of what film i don’t rate, there should be arguments for and against any film mentioned, for if there were not it would be a sad day – just because you all may be intersted in bikes it doesn’t mean have to enjoy the same films.

Oh stuff it – ‘eye’s wide shit’ utter crap.

DrJ

Eyes wide shut, like what was the plot?

That is predictably crap under the “Tom Cruise” rule. Still, Nicole Kidman, phoah!!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Wasn’t expecting much of Eyes Wide Shut, so wasn’t disappointed – quite enjoyed it in fact!
    The worst waste of 3 hours ever, was Bridge over the river Kwai – OMG! What were they thinking of! And why is it still screened these days?
    Blair Witch would be my other nonination for the crap film award.
    Blade Runner…. everyones got an opinion on that! As a Philip K Dick fan i was a bit miffed first time i saw it, but by the third or forth viewing, i was being to warm to it. By around the eightth or ninth time , i was in love and still am .

flange
    Free Member

I find it quite hard to laugh at the Will Ferrel/Owen Wilson/Ben Stiller stuff although Wedding crashers was quite good if not laugh out loud funny.

Biggest dissapointment was Burn After Reading – I really wanted it to be as good as the trailer but soon realised it was just the elbow song used that made it look good.

Anything with Adam Sandler. Oh look, another looser done good film…

T1000
    Free Member

ET …….tosh…..

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Since someone Mentions Schindlers list.
    I have to bring up that there is a German company who make elevators Called Schindler’s

Schindler’s Lifts….

BRILLIANT!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Highly rated films you just don’t rate…’ is closed to new replies.