Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • "highly rated" films that you just didn't like.
  • chrisdw
    Free Member

There will be blood is another good suggestion. Think I gave up with it halfway through.

Drac

Apart from Kevin Costner and Nicolas Cage, has there ever been a worse leading man?

The answer:

AlexSimon – Member
    Most things featuring Daniel Day Lewis

CaptJon
    Free Member

tomkerton – Member
    Star Wars? Really? I’m surprised. Episodes 4, 5 & 6? What’s not to like?

The first 3 modern episodes on the other had…..

The dialogue is awful. They are too long. The transitions are embarrassing. The constant re-cgi-ing. Some of the acting is pretty poor too.

I love the idea of star wars, but whenever i watch one of the films i can’t watch more than ten minutes.

noteeth
    Free Member

Recently, The Great Beauty.

Nice to look at, but unsubstantive toss.

maycontainnuts

If Indy wasn’t there, they’d have taken the medallion easily and been on their way thus accelerating their progress to the burial site and thence the island and their impending deaths.

Ah! But the Nazis had to follow Indy to find out where the headpiece was, they’d never have found it otherwise.

Anyway my classics that I don’t like are,
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
    House of flying daggers
    Alien (s) all of them
    Anchorman

_tom_
    Free Member

There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I don’t dislike the Star Wars franchise but I don’t view them as anything other than children’s films, which is exactly what they are. So I’m not overly critical of them in any sense.

richmars

I agree with everyone above. All films are overrated to get people to watch them.

Houns

Star Wars

The Royal Tenenbaums

Harry potter

Lord of the rings

Labarynth

Erm basically any scifi/fantasy films, just guff

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lincoln

DezB
    Free Member

Lincoln

Ah, anothe Daniel Day film – There Will Be Blood. So boring. Wanted to like it, but god it was a drag. That’s one film I’ll never watch again!

DezB
    Free Member

I know a lot of you like it on here, but Drive was utter tosh!

I watched it on telly the other night and quite enjoyed it 😳 (music was still awful though)

Cougar

I don’t dislike it per se, but I’ll +1 The Big Lebowski. It’s alright, but I really don’t understand what the fuss is about.

I know a lot of you like it on here, but Drive was utter tosh!

One of the few films I’ve turned off halfway through. We were going to watch the other half the next day and just couldn’t be arsed. Maybe it picked up later, but the half I watched was an exercise in mediocrity.

slider888
    Free Member

just watched only god forgives… am sure its a 10 minute story dragged out for 90mins.looks good but seems to be a study in walking.the main bad guy needs to see a chiropractor

Cougar

Oh yeah,

I’m getting increasingly bored with the found-footage / chase-cam genre. It was a novelty in the diabolically dire Blurred Witch Project, and done to bloody death ever since. It doesn’t make it look “realistic”, it makes it look “crap.”

RustySpanner

How can it look less realistic? 🙂

Cougar

am sure its a 10 minute story dragged out for 90mins

That reminds me of Open Water. Quite possibly the worst film I’ve ever paid money to watch. I wrote about it on Mono at the time, after being accused of not liking “minimalist” films.

Open Water, in my opinion, was pants. Great big wafty ones. Not because it was “minimalist”, but because it was just so piss poor on so many levels. The two main characters are completely bland; I’d say they were immediately dislikeable, but they weren’t that good. The camera work makes The Blurred Witch Project look professional. The plot is absolutely non-existent (two people go on holiday, get lost in the ocean, argue a bit, get nibbled at by sharks, the end). There is *nothing* in the way of plot twists, character development, anything at all to hold your interest unless you have a “two people floating around a bit” fetish. The most exciting bit of the entire film was one of them having a wee.

Apologies for recycling the BWP gag.

noteeth
    Free Member

(music was still awful though)

Nah, the music was amazing – I danced all the way home from the cinema. 😀

mmannerr

Gladiator, I can appreciate well filmed cinema but ultimately it was too much crafted to milk emotions from the audience instead of telling a story. Same goes to Shawshank redemption but to slightly smaller degree.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Just suffered through The Drive, shite to the highest degree.

AdamW
    Free Member

Any film that uses ‘edgy’ and ‘realistic’ wobbly cameras are complete crap. Yes, I’m looking at you the second/third Bourne films.

Can remember paying beer tokens for the second film in the cinema and then came out feeling dizzy and not being able to remember much else.

So edgy I can’t even understand the plot. Bah!

_tom_
    Free Member

I liked Drive and its soundtrack. It was a weird one though and probably wouldn’t watch it again, too many awkward pauses. Nightcall is an absolute tune!

neilthewheel

The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
    unbearable shiteness.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Am currently working my way through all the movies in the IMDB top 100 or so – which I haven’t already seen – from the top downwards. Will no doubt see all 250 at some point.

Agree with most of them being great films with one big HOWEVER:

Shawshank Redemption. What a totally average film

This.

It really is just another prison movie. Watch Papillon instead. Or Brubaker.

Also, Se7en is utterly predictable twash and nothing special.
    And A Clockwork Orange. Absolute nonsense.

rickon
    Free Member

– Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

So dull, so boring, and a pretty odd storyline to follow how it’s filmed

– There will be blood

– No Country for old men

Bland, killed off the main protagonist bizarrely, no justice. Pretentious film that people seem to like because it has a slow story line, good cinematography and long pauses. Not entertained.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Inception. Marketed as an “intelligent and thoughtful” thriller but actually nothing more than a bog standard fight & flight action movie with a bit of VI Form cod philosophy thrown in. Almost as bad as The Matrix on that score.

Cougar

– No Country for old men

I’m glad you said that, I thought it was just me. I watched it thinking “well, I don’t know how on earth they’re going to wrap this up in the last few minutes” and the answer was they didn’t, they just rolled the credits rather than make the last third of the film.

Spin
    Free Member

No Country for Old Men makes more sense when you stop thinking about Chigurh as a person and start thinking of him as Death.

mindmap3
    Free Member

The people saying they dint like LOTR because it has elves and wizards in it. What were they expecting? A thought provoking political drama? There are quite a few films listed here that I quite like. The Big Lebowski being one but my other half hates it.

I hated Donnie Darko, I just dint see what the fuss was about. I’ll also add:

Blair Witch Project
    Cloverfield
    Law Abiding Citizen
    Robin Hood (Russell Crow jobbie)
    Prometheus

I’m sure there are many others two.

Taken 2 was a steamng pile too although I don’t know if anyone actually liked it.

richmars

and start thinking of him as Death.

This is the kind of ******** that makes me say all films are over-rated.

Spin
    Free Member

This is the kind of ******** that makes me say all films are over-rated.

I often find that people say something is ********* because they don’t understand it and not because actually it is *********.

richmars

I often find that people say something is ********* because they don’t understand it and not because actually it is *********.

That’s right. I’m just stupid. There I was expecting an entertaining film, and all I got was pseudo intellectual ‘art’.

I’ll stick to Top Gear repeats on Dave.

Spin
    Free Member

If you take the pseudo out of that you’re spot on.

richmars

Clearly we have differing views on what art is.

DavidB
    Free Member

Delicatessen

Any film with a comic character in

It’s a wonderful life

Every romcom ever

drlex
    Free Member

Pseudo-intellectual art? What did you think, Simon Clituris?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBbpGeMyMVk[/video]

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Close Encounters of the Third Kind , massively hyped but utter total tosh
    Also Gangs of New York , I walked out half way through , it was really dreadful .

Spin
    Free Member

Clearly we have differing views on what art is

NCfOM is art, partly because it carries meanings other than the surface story. All good art does this and all good art divides opinion.

Lifer
    Free Member

AdamW – Member
    …Bourne films…So edgy I can’t even understand the plot. Bah!

😐

Spin
    Free Member

I never really saw what the fuss was about with Death in Venice. Left me cold.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘"highly rated" films that you just didn't like.’ is closed to new replies.