Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • "highly rated" films that you just didn't like.
  • racefaceec90

am watching the troll hunter atm (never seen it before),and am enjoying it,but the tv announcer compared it to the blair witch project.hence my thread.

i really couldn’t see what all the fuss was about with the film 😐

waay overhyped/overrated imho.

what would your choice(s) be?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Any of the Matrix films plus Avatar.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any of the alien films.

Pile of dung.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Godfather. Yawn as was American Gangster

MrSmith
    Free Member

anything by danny boyle.
    the birds
    eraserhead (and then he made the elephant man which is a masterpiece)
    reservoir dogs
    blair witch
    blade runner

DezB
    Free Member

Shawshank Redemption. What a totally average film. Appears in the top 3 of so many all time lists, which just goes to show how people love to settle for the ordinary.

samuri
    Free Member

Troll Hunter and Blair Witch, both boring films. Massively over-hyped.

Films aren’t as bad as books. Generally I find if a book has reached popular press notice, I’ll find it rubbish. Films are less transparent, probably because I’m less critical of films.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Pulp fiction
    Utter garbage

northernmatt

Cloverfield – complete and utter bilgefest

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Blade runner has never done much for me. Im a big Sci Fi fan, adore Ridley Scott’s earlier films and directorial style but as hard as I try, I just can’t get excited or enthralled with Blade Runner or it’s noir stylings. Find it really dull.

rene59
    Free Member

Star Wars, all of them.

Mackem

Road to Perdition. Pretty cinematography with nowt happening.

fasthaggis

The Bicycle Thief
    and
    The Apartment

“Classics,you must watch them ,they are fantastic”

Nope,not for me.
    Maybe I should give them a second watch?

samuri
    Free Member

I used to like Raiders of the Lost Ark until Amy pointed out on the Big Bang Theory that the story wouldn’t have changed if Harrison Ford Hadn’t of been in it. The Nazi’s would still have found the Ark, taken it to the Island and still died, even if Harrison had never of existed.

RustySpanner

Aliens – shouty, childish toss.

All the Matrix films – like being trapped in a corner at a party by a teenager who’s just discovered acid.

Top Gun – just acknowledge that it’s a gay love story – no-one minds anymore, it’s not the 50’s.

Point Break – see above.

JFK – Oswald did it.

Platoon – pointless egofest masquerading as middle class American angst.

Donnie Darko – if I have to find a website to explain what actually happened, it’s a badly made, pretentious bunch of arse.

Straw Dogs – funnily enough, most people DON’T enjoy being raped.

Alfie – the repulsive adventures of a ****.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

With nail & I, total & utter croc of shit, only enjoyed by hipsters & students! I have never got to the end of it.

I think that is enough to entice the lovers 😉

dknwhy

Magnolia and Traffic.

franksinatra

Tinker sail soldier spy. Complete yawn fest

PiknMix
    Free Member

A fairly recent one for me, Gravity. Never have I been so looking forward to a film but totally gutted as it’s a steaming pile of turd.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Star Wars
    Memento
    Godfathers

saleem
    Free Member

All the alien films, Armageddon, fast and the furious and titanic.

jambourgie
    Free Member

With nail & I, total & utter croc of shit, only enjoyed by hipsters & students! I have never got to the end of it.

Get out.

Pulp fiction
    Utter garbage

You too.

Lord Of The Rings for me. Three freakin’ hours of seriously naff elves/wizards and crap CGI. Please.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Dear oh dear! I don’t think I’ve come across so many posts on here that I disagree with. I’m going back to mumsnet…

Blade runner duff film. 2001 A space oddessy. Harry Potter. Bullitt. Black swan.

RustySpanner

A Fish Called Wanda – not even a titter.

The Waterboy – apparantly a comedy. Who knew?

Caddyshack – see above.

Fletch – and again.

A Nightmare On Elm Street – horror for morons. No plot, no characterisation, no fun.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Lost In Translation. Dull dull dull

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Lord of the Rings ls tedious drivel. I split up with an ex because i hated it so much, so it does have a good point i suppose.

Anchorman

Shaun of the Dead is a bit dull, couple of funny bits but not worth the acclaim. Hot Fuzz is worse

peajay

Lost in Translation, just didn’t get it?

weare138
    Free Member

Lord of the rings killed going to the cinema for me. Three hours of utter drivel dressed up in supposed literary must-do. I’ve not darkened a pop corn machine since.

dmorts

+1 for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Never been so disappointed by a film.

wiggles
    Free Member

I don’t even know where to begin pointing out all the mistakes in this thread…

CountZero

peajay – Member
    Lost in Translation, just didn’t get it?

The reason’s in the title…

CountZero

It’s funny, all the comments about the likes of Raiders, Aliens, 2001, Star Wars, Bladerunner, etc; I saw most of them first time around, as soon as they were released, long before there was any kind of media bigging them up, so I made my own mind up.
    And all of those films made a huge impression on me. Know why? Because all of them were absolutely unlike any film that had gone before. They were all, pretty much, ignored by the mainstream movie-goers too, it was only after some time that they started to get attention.
    People now have the benefit of hindsight that wasn’t available back in the sixties/seventies/eighties, or whenever.
    There was no Internet, or anything like that, the chest-burster scene in Alien was shocking the first time you saw it, it was totally unexpected, even to to cast; nobody other than the director and crew knew what was going to happen, so the shock on the actors faces is genuine.
    Everyone now is so bloody blasé about films that were absolutely ground-breaking when released.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

+1 for Lost in Translation, went with gf to see it hated it and wanted to leave midway but stayed for her to see it. Get outside and she said it was crap and she only sat there as I was obviously enjoying it. D’Oh!
    Not a big fan of Shawshank either.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Cloud Atlas. Heard the hype and watched it, totally lost after 15mins and it was no clearer by the end!

lapdog
    Free Member

Shawshank redemption is predictable Hollywood feel good toss. Why do people like this derivative rubbish?

I have to disagree with those that dislike Bladerunner and Alien – they are game changing masterpieces. I even liked Prometheus and am really looking forward to the sequel.

JCL
    Free Member

World War Z.

I don’t get what all the fuss is about? Crap.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Lost in translation.

Everyone I know raved about it. I thought it was turgid pish.

EDIT – hadn’t seen page 1 when I posted. I guess that I’m in good company regarding this load of garbage!

tomkerton
    Free Member

Star Wars? Really? I’m surprised. Episodes 4, 5 & 6? What’s not to like?

The first 3 modern episodes on the other had…..

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The Goonies.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

JCL – Member
    World War Z.

I don’t get what all the fuss is about? Crap

The book was excellent. Sadly it was pretty unfilmable. Hence the film ignored what made the book work and turned out to be run of the mill.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘"highly rated" films that you just didn't like.’ is closed to new replies.