Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Highland estate road riding routes please
  • tjagain

Oh fount of all knowledge please help
    I have been scouring the maps but am lacking inspiration
    We are going to be “up north” for a couple of weeks and looking for some day rides that have a Gnarr factor of less than 3 (ie nothing harder than the Beinn a ghlo circuit ) We don’t want to hikabike
    Needs to be mainly doubletrack / estate road / forestry road. 30 – 40 mile loops. Area doesn’t matter – we will be driving.
    We have done most of the usual suspects ie Beinn a Ghlo, Glen Ogle, Loch Pattach / Lochan na Hearba, Loch Lyon, Telfords parliamentary road, Ryovan etc
    Anything anyone knows up on the north west?

Ta muchly

matt_outandabout

. Area doesn’t matter – we will be driving.

You do know how big Scotland is?

tjagain

Matt – about 3mx2m according to the map on my wall
    We are going to be at Loch Tay, then Corpach then possibly Durness but could go somewhere else instead of Durness

scotroutes

You know the problem TJ – there are no loops like that in the NW. Lots of there and back options though. I’d definitely try the Fionn Loch from Poolewe. Don’t head to Carnmore but stay on the main track to Bad Bog.

edit: and Sandwood Bay for a short overnighter if you’re taking the tent/picnic if not.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you can get a copy there is an excellent book called “Scottish hill tracks” lists all of the old drover’s routes etc.

tjagain

Ta Scotroutes
    Having looked on the map I wonder it you can get across to the track to the north of bad bog? probably dragging our bike thru swamps tho to get to it.

tjagain

Ta thebrick. got the scottish hill tracks book ( not that one tho)

paladin

matt_outandabout – Member

You do know how big Scotland is?

its the little bit of land on top of england eh? 😉

BikePawl
    Free Member

There is also 101 bike routes in Scotland by Harry Henniker
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Routes-Scotland-Harry-Henniker/dp/1851587853
    You can borrow my copy if you want

tjagain

I have that actually pawl – forgot about it. I’ll have a read of it

tjagain

Well thanks to scotroutes – we rode the track he suggested – very high on the scenery quotient. We also rode as an out and back the track to the north. Bad bog looks crossable ( even rideable on a fatbike!) so would make a nice circuit done as anticlockwise as the northern track is much rougher but made a fun descent for us. Someone has to be brave enough to attempt a crossing of bad bog! We weren’t this time – circumstances prevented.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can’t be bothered to find a map but west of Inverness I found (on the map mind) a nice looking loop that at one point crosses a dam. Vague I know but get the OS map and you’ll find it.

scotroutes

Orrin Dam loop? There are a couple of options including a lovely single-track descent from the old cement store bothy.

Glad you liked my suggestion TJ. I’ve been thinking about riding into Carnmore, packrafting to Bad Bog and cycling back from there. Mibbemail once the midges have calmed down. I’m also planning to explore the Flow Country. OS shows lots of forest / estate tracks that join up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Highland estate road riding routes please’ is closed to new replies.