Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Highest rideable trail in Europe?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone know where this would be? Buy rideable I mean predominantly an actual bike ride without too much carrying. The thought was prompted by reading about the Sphinx Observatory at Jungfraujoch in Switzerland. There’s a railway up there and an easy walk, apparently, so theoretically it might be rideable, if legalities allow. But to be considered according to the rules of this thread, the trail must be rideable from the local ground level and the rest of the trail or road network i.e. not requiring a mountain train or cable car to the start.

Also, same question for North America.

And by highest I mean altitude above sea level rather than total meters climbed.

ayjaydoubleyou

But to be considered according to the rules of this thread, the trail must be rideable from the local ground level

to be very nit picky – are there any lifts/funiculars that dont have at least some sort of fire road/snow cat access to the top?

Trimix
    Free Member

As above, basically find the highest chairlift and it will most likely have some sort of vehicle access, wont it ?

rickmeister

Goldsee trail at the top of the Stelvio? Take the bus from Bormio or if you are a sadist, ride up….

and down.

molgrips
    Free Member

As above, basically find the highest chairlift and it will most likely have some sort of vehicle access, wont it ?

You’d think, but there are surely trails that go beyond the cable car station aren’t there?

BoardinBob

Cervinia & Zermatt jump to mind. You could probably ride from the towns up to Plateau Rosa, so about 11,000ft high.

lunge

Almost all chair lifts will have access for Piston Bully’s, they’ve got to get up there to piste the snow. You’ll certainly be able to get to them with a snow mobile. The question is if winter access is the same as summer access?

There are quite a few high lifts that don’t have road access though.

elliptic
    Free Member

The summit of Veleta in the Sierra Nevada has to be in with a shout, just shy of 3400m.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cervinia & Zermatt jump to mind.

That was my first thought. 3900m. Certainly the highest place I’ve been skiing in Europe. Should be ride-able from the Italian side and probably from the Swiss side

You can drive to 4300m in America. Mount Evans Pass in Colorado. The air was noticeably thin, not sure I fancy riding up from there

nickc

Also, same question for North America.

How high is that first climb of the Whole Enchilda? That’s got to be up with a shout surely?

Ack, as you were 3200m

cheers_drive

Does Tenerife count as Europe? I’ve ridden from near the top down to sea level, nearly all off-road. I think it’s 3700m high

ayjaydoubleyou

Does Tenerife count as Europe? I’ve ridden from near the top down to sea level, nearly all off-road. I think it’s 3700m high

that sounds fun, or at least a bucket list type thing to tick off. What level of off road was it, and did you do the climb yourself?

pedlad

re Zermatt – Cervinai I’d have thought the Kleine Matterhorn station was doable – 3,883 m
    V thin air up that high as I remember!

richmtb

Pikes Peak is over 4300m and has a tarmac road to the top, there is even a bike race.

spot1978
    Free Member

I rode from Veleta to Bubion with Switchbacks a few years back – epic ride

snaps
    Free Member

How high is the highest part of the tour Mt Blanc route?

a11y

Not the highest, but surely one of the highest but with the best bike trail ever coming off the top of it: Mt Jovet in Les Arcs, 2600m(ish). Entire descent to Bozel is some of the best trails I’ve ridden. The climb up requires a good 800m of solid ascending under your own power after a few lifts and descents.

Tracey

I’ve ridden down from Mont Fort (3330m) above Verbier. I didn’t ride up but have met people up at the top who have

freeridenick
    Free Member

Highest Rideable peak (no uplift)
    The Grand Sassiere near Tignes/Valdisere at 3750m

J-R

re Zermatt – Cervinai I’d have thought the Kleine Matterhorn station was doable – 3,883 m V thin air up that high as I remember!

I was about to say the same. I’ve even been up there in a ski group by gondala when one of our party fainted – it’s only about 60% the normal amount of oxygen up there. One other practical factor is it’s a summer ski area, so your first few thousand feet down will be on snow.

If you are looking for serious altitude, then Leh in NW India is a good option. The town itself is about 12000ft, and there are plenty of roads and tracks way higher than that – but you’ll need a good few days to acclimatise when you get there

superfli
    Free Member

I went up Plataeu Rosa a couple of years ago. 3480m. Plenty of snow. Shame about the clouds 🙁

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think we need to narrow it down a bit re. what constitutes a trail.

Service road or similar is out.

Actual singletrack – technical or otherwise in.

Access can be anything.

The highest trail I have done in the US is Tahoe Rim Trail at about 3100m.
    In Europe it’s Zermatt at about 3100m again.

That Grand Sassiere is mightily impressive..

mrb123
    Free Member

When I was on the Breithorn a few years ago (on foot) there were a couple of people on bikes riding down the glacier. That would have been at about 4000m.

mrb123
    Free Member

Duplicate post.

cheers_drive

hat sounds fun, or at least a bucket list type thing to tick off. What level of off road was it, and did you do the climb yourself?

You can climb the road (as many roadies do) but buses go to near the top, just sling your bike is the luggage storage under them. I’d say it’s 90% off-road going down, very rocky.

andrewh
    Free Member

Start line of the Mega on Pic Blanc is 10,800ft IIRC. I didnt ride up because there were lifts but it’s certainly rideable down and is definitely a trail.
    Also mildly terrifying when you haven’t been allowed there to practice because of weather and have literally never seen it before and there’s 400 other people hurtling themselves down it with you

rugbydick

How high is the highest part of the tour Mt Blanc route?

Col de la Seine, I think – circa 2,600m

mogrim

You can climb the road (as many roadies do) but buses go to near the top, just sling your bike is the luggage storage under them. I’d say it’s 90% off-road going down, very rocky.

The road only gets you up to the cable car, which is at 2365m. I’m not sure you’re legally allowed to ride a bike on the tracks up to the top, foot access is controlled to stop erosion etc. so I can’t see an MTB being that popular!

40mpg

I look down on your lowly European trails, pah!

And I reckon Vallee Blanche from Aguille du Midi would be fair game on my fatbike 😆

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Grand Sassierre is the highest Alpine peak I think you can ride off on genuinely rideable trails (might be higher non-peaks, mebbe glaciers and access tracks too somewhere else).

It’s a monster of a day, but bloody good…

mrmo
    Free Member

I’ve ridden down from Mont Fort (3330m) above Verbier. I didn’t ride up but have met people up at the top who have

Are you sure???? You rode across the glacier? down the Kilometre Lance???

The highest rideable part is the Gentianes station at c2900m and that is from the Verbier side, you can actually drive up and have seen trucks making the trip with kit, you might be able to descend into Nendaz but climbing the moraine is probably beyond most people.

Kuco

One of my best rides is with Ciclo Montana, get a lift to the Sierra Nevada bike park, a couple of hours messing about their then have something to eat then cycle up the mountain a bit, and then ride from the Veleta down into Fondales.

ton

cycled from Brides Le Bain at 600m up to the Sommet De la Saulire at 3000m.
    road up to Courcheval altiport at 1800m then jeep track up to the summit.
    IIRC it took me 4ish hours.

Grump
    Free Member

@40mpg The VB got ridden back in the 80’s, pre fat bike and no word on whether everyone survived the many holes on the way down…. And at 3842 for the top of the station it’s not much over the Grande Sassiere. Riding out through the gates onto the arete would be, err, committing though! A group fatbiked down from the new Skyway lift a couple winters ago, a bit lower in height again but still a brave choice. I think Papy Millet rode Gran Paradiso 4061m a couple autumns back, but it’s not a trail. Or a good idea for most!

Give it another few years of glacial retreat and rising snowline and I’m sure the Grande Sassiere will have some more competition, but it’s the highest actual trail rather than line in the snow I can think of in the western alps, but the alps are a big place so I’m interested to see what others come up with, the Caucasus are part of europe aren’t they?

nedrapier

Hi Grump! Saw the title, thought I’d find you in here!

nedrapier

I think Papy Millet rode Gran Paradiso 4061m

surely “rode” was “got his bike to the top of”?

Just une idee?

https://www.facebook.com/chamonix.guide/videos/311589660193686/

qwerty
    Free Member

Are you sure???? You rode across the glacier? down the Kilometre Lance???

With Bike Vernier I assume Tracey, I’ve done the same. Wikipedia had the cable car altitude at 3303m and the mountain summit at 3328m.

In summer there’s a set of metal steps that go to a perilous drop which they ski from in winter!

molgrips
    Free Member

Glaciers don’t count.

asbrooks

Tour du Mont Blanc? Linky

andrew277
    Free Member

The Barrhorn in Switzerland is up there, although not as high as the Grande Sassiere.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.