Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • High5 Recovery Powder / Drink – Explosive Repetitions!
  • bigblackshed

OH MY **** GOD!!!!!!

It’s on par with picolax!

I had a first bottle yesterday and whilst it tasted pretty good, actually quite nice, the results from 4:30 this morning until now 9pm can only be described as a multi brown explosion.

I’m past the point of dabbing, I think the next stage is sitting in the shower directing cool water to what I can only imagine is the tatters of a blood orange.

Poopscoop

Odd, never had that issue when I used them. Are they the zero sugar ones? Thats what I used.

blokeuptheroad

Not familiar with the product, but has it got erythritol in it as a sweetener?  It’s in a lot of diet/low sugar products.  Anything with it in gives me similar problems. Sugar free gum is bad, but once when I was on the low cal wagon, I ate a couple of packets of sugar free mints in fairly short order.  The effects were identical to when I  took ‘movieprep’ (picolax’s bezzie mate) before a medical procedure once.  I’ve never experienced wind like it since the great storm of 1987  and I lost all feeling in my legs I was on the bog for that long.  A withered, dehydrated ashen faced shell of man.

MoreCashThanDash

Protein/recovery drinks have always been a bit iffy – the atmosphere in the gym staff room could be rank…..

Poopscoop

Just looked on their website, they use Sucralose. I think that’s ok as far as the trotts goes?

defblade
    Free Member

I used to have trouble with High-5, tracked it down to the high fructose content. Some people (like me) turn out to be poor absorbers of fructose which is fine in the normal run of things… but when you dump a ton of it into your guts, the poor absorption means it goes further into you intestines than sugars normally get, and all the bugs living that far down that normally never see any large amount of simple carbs suddenly go “weee-he! Fast food!”, breed like mad and have the inevitable effect on your rear end some hours later.

It’s quite difficult finding half-decent sports drinks that aren’t stuffed with fructose for the benefit of those who can use it; I stick to Skratch these days (and the occasional toffee woffle if I feel the need for serious extra carbs).

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

@poopscoop Sucralose does cause bloating, gas, diarrhoea and has laxative effects.

OP Artificial sweeteners are totally unnecessary in any kind of sports drink, if a brand uses them, they are a brand to avoid. Pick a brand that uses sugar instead.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the recovery powder is just an expensive whey protein isnt it, had them 6-7 years ago and never impacted me.

on the other hand as @defblade the high5 energy satchets / barrel Tub which are full of frustose absolutely clear me out..

mrauer

Just a FYI about ERYTHRITOL since it was mentioned…latest research seems to show it will raise risk of heart attack tremendously and should definitely be avoided completely –

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02223-9
    The study

An article on the study –
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/common-sweetener-erythritol-tied-to-higher-risk-of-stroke-and-heart-attack

“Recently, researchers examined the link between erythritol consumption and cardiovascular risk.

They found that erythritol consumption increases cardiovascular risk, including the risk of a heart attack or stroke, thrombosis (blood clotting), and death related to a cardiovascular event.

The results appear in Nature”
    ….
    “Each micromole increase in erythritol levels was linked to a 21% and 16% increase in cardiovascular event risk in U.S. and European cohorts, respectively.

Next, the researchers set out to see how erythritol impacted blood clotting. Through multiple tests, they found that increased erythritol levels indicated higher rates of clot formation and increased thrombosis potential.

Lastly, the researchers examined the effects of consuming a snack or drink containing 30 grams (g) of erythritol in eight participants. While erythritol levels were low at baseline, they remained 1,000-fold higher for hours after ingestion. “

nobbingsford

I’ve just looked at the list of ingredients on my tub of high5 recovery drink powder (berry flavour). It contains (among other things) sucrose and fructose. No artificial sweeteners that I can see?

longdog
    Free Member

Not the recovery drink, but the high five energy powders (usually tropical) get me if I use at the recommended concentration. Even at my usual half the recommended dose it’ll get to me by the end of a hot full day on the bike.

As others have said it must be the fructose. Right pain as I like it and like the price compared to fancier stuff.

beej

Sucralose does the same to me. Diet ginger beer was how I found out.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh, any artificial sweeteners will kill me. A total pain nowadays when they’re in so much stuff.

It’s almost impossible to get a soft drink without them in other than plain sparkly water or full fat coke cola.

I’m tasting it in lots of cake at cafes now too, if I do taste it I just have to stop straight away.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.